Motorbike driver killed after collision with coach in Jomtien

Rimmer

Motorbike driver killed after collision with coach in Jomtien

crash-22.jpg
Just before 1.30am on Saturday Police and medics were called to the scene of a horrific road crash on Jomtien Second Road which resulted in the death of a 39 year old motorbike driver.

At the scene was the body of Khun Somsak. His head had been run over by the rear-wheel of a coach driven by Khun Prichar aged 41.

He explained how he was initiating a U-turn maneuver on Jomtien Second Road and had just dropped off tourists to the Palm Beach Hotel on Jomtien Beach. The coach was negotiating the U-turn at a very low rate of speed when the driver felt a jolt
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/119193/motorbike-driver-killed-after-collision-with-coach-in-jomtien/#sthash.x83KOa7b.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-02-22

While in stationery in a traffic jam in Bangkok a few weeks back, a motorcyclist apparently lost control and fell off his bike only to slide halfway beneath the rear of my car. I felt only a slight bump but heard noise and got out to see him and a couple of other motorcyclists who were helping him up and picking up the bike. As traffic started to move, they all waved me on and as there was no apparent damage to him or my car I drove off. The point being that had my car been moving a rear wheel could easily have run over his head. It happens and I was sorry to read this story and have it remind me of my own near miss with such a tragedy.

See it on a daily base, when a bus or truck is doing a difficult manoeuvre like a u-turn, there are always those motorbikes that can't wait for a second.

Yes, I can never understand why you see this so often.

Of course their time is so valuable

(When they're not sitting and staring into oblivion)

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

70+ motor-bike deaths a day in Thailand.

Thai authorities choose not to address this.

Therefore this is just an other statistic.

70+ today 70+ tomorrow and so on.

If anyone actually cared about these daily fatalities en masse, then the speed / impatience / drunkenness / drugged / helmetless / rear-lightless / riders would have a better chance of survival.

We all see on a daily basis the idiots laughing on their mobiles negotiating traffic at intersections, clueless at what's occurring around them. How can they have a chance of survival ??

• Like 1

Why do large buses always have to do u turns

Is it not possible to travel around the block or are these drovers too lazy ( drovers is NOT a spelling mistake )

They are NOT professional drivers

While I agree in principle, going around the block is not as practical as it first seems. In most cases the road that comes back onto the main road will be a T-intersection, or there is no block to actually go around.

That U-turn is a pain in the arse, as are all the u-turns along Jomtien 2nd Road. The busses and trucks do not wait for a clear road, they simply start their turn from the left lane and swing across 3 lanes of traffic regardless of other road users. Then they can't complete the turn due to lack of space and do a reversing move, blocking up both directions.

If you see a truck or bus slowing in the left or middle lane approaching a U-turn, just assume they're doing a suicide turn and get out of the way of the pratts behind you that fail to see the impending mayhem and will rear-end you if you slow down in the middle or right hand lane.