Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Driving to Vientiane for Non-Imm O Single Entry Visas

Following many inputs and advice on this forum (for which thanks to all) my Brit wife and I intend to go soon to Laos (Vientiane) to resurrect our Non-Imm O visa status, prior to applying for an annual extension to stay at local Immigration in Chiang Mai.

We're here currently on Triple-entry Tourist Visas, being the only visas we could get in a hurry in the London embassy / Hull consulate chaos of late last year - after 7 consecutive years of both having Non-Imm O visas – during which period we had effectively made Thailand our home. Including opening bank accounts, credit card accounts, buying a car, “buying” a house on a 30 year lease, etc. The change in visa status has presumably effectively undone the legitimacy of all of these things, but that is now water under the bridge.

What the current driver is is the need to upgrade now from Tourist to Non-Imm O status due to the upcoming expiry of our 5 year driving licences, the renewal of which would not be possible on a Tourist visa. (Don’t want the hassle of an annual licence.)

The idea is that we will make the most of our situation and drive down from the north, see a bit of the country, etc. But a couple of questions –

1. Could / should we drive across the border to Vientiane, or leave the car somewhere at Udon Thani or Nong Khai? Is there a safe or lock-up place? Never been down there before, but hesitant about the risks of travelling in the visa run vans, thinking safer to drive all the way ourselves. (Understand the need for insurance and getting a “car passport” too.)
  2. I’ve downloaded the Visa Application form from the Royal Thai Embassy website and see that it asks for the names, addresses and telephone number of guarantors in both Laos and Thailand. Does a Thai bank letter constitute a Thai guarantor? What are we supposed to do for the Laos guarantor?
  3. Lastly, our current Tourist Visas do not expire until April 17th so if all goes well we will have an “overlap” of visa stamps. I understand that that in itself should not be a problem and that the new Non-Imm O’s will be the “active” visas. Correct?

Thanks in advance for advice.

1. Unless you already have a passport for your car and the original book for it I suggest you park in Nong Kai, There is secure parking at the bus station where the buses that cross the bridge operate from. It is on the right coming in from Udon Thani at the intersection just before the bridge.

You can also fly from Chiange Mai to Udon. Check Nok Air for flights to Vientiane that are a fly/ride service via Udon.

2.Just leave the guarantor lines blank they are not needed.

3.You should have no problem getting your visas. I assume you are on your last entry so your visas are no longer valid anyway.

During my visit to Vientiane I saw no cars at all with Thai plates, and only a few trucks. I am pretty sure that your Thai car insurance won't be valid in Laos, so maybe you would get stopped at the border.

We went to a hotel in Nong Khai (the 'Royal something') and paid ฿200.- for the privilege of leaving it there overnight as we went to Vientiane the next day. We took a tuk tuk to the frontier and accepted the services of a guy that turned out to be a Lao taxi driver. He got us from one desk to the other, there are guys there that fill out everything for you and took us to our hotel.They didn't fill out the guarantor for Laos bit. To the Embassy in the morning, get the form filed out by the guys there to help you, photocopies included, wait, come back next day, wait, and get your visa. Back to the bridge, go through the process of leaving and find a taxi to take you back to your car.

You won't have an overlap of stamps as you can only have one at a time.

Thanks, guys. Just on that last point about visa stamps, we're only in the 2nd 60 day period just now and the expiry date is Sunday, 9th March. The driving licence expires on Monday, 10th March.

I had assumed that the licence ought to be renewed for 11th March and that was why we were planning the Vientiane jaunt in the preceding week to get the non-Imm O (for the driving licence renewal) - which in turn would mean that when we re-enter Thailand our passports would show both an unitilsed 3rd tourist visa entry "slot" as well as the new non-Imm O visa (hopefully).

Maybe I'm paranoid but don't want the Immigration officer to "use" the Tourist visa which would defeat the purpose of the whole exercise. (And waste time and money.)

During my visit to Vientiane I saw no cars at all with Thai plates, and only a few trucks. I am pretty sure that your Thai car insurance won't be valid in Laos, so maybe you would get stopped at the border.

We went to a hotel in Nong Khai (the 'Royal something') and paid ฿200.- for the privilege of leaving it there overnight as we went to Vientiane the next day. We took a tuk tuk to the frontier and accepted the services of a guy that turned out to be a Lao taxi driver. He got us from one desk to the other, there are guys there that fill out everything for you and took us to our hotel.They didn't fill out the guarantor for Laos bit. To the Embassy in the morning, get the form filed out by the guys there to help you, photocopies included, wait, come back next day, wait, and get your visa. Back to the bridge, go through the process of leaving and find a taxi to take you back to your car.

You won't have an overlap of stamps as you can only have one at a time.

You didn't look very hard because there are more Thai cars driving in Vientiane than cars with plates from any other foreign country (obvious, when you think about it). Lao car insurance is easily available at the border - hundreds, possibly even thousands (especially during festival times) of Thai and Lao cars cross each others border daily just at Nong Khai/Tha Na Leng alone.

To the OP, driving into Laos is easy. You only have to remember to keep right once you're over there. It's up to you if you decide to drive into Laos, or keep your car parked on the Thai side (parking is available near the customs area, just behind the 7-11 for 40 Baht per day). Personally I'd always opt for driving into Laos (except if your car has red dealer plates or otherwise isn't allowed to exit the country), as there are hundreds of Thais who do so daily at a cost of only 200 Baht for the paperwork + insurance costs on the Lao side (once you have the car passport) and it makes it easier to get around despite Vientiane being located only 20km from the border crossing.

Very helpful for all of us - thanks.

In regard to the Int. Car Document (ITP) I have tried to get one in Prachuap Khirikhan. No joy. The advice I got from the road transport department was get it in Bangkok (car is registered there) or at Udon Thani. As BKK is off my list of most favourable place to drive these days I was hoping that Udon Thani was a viable alternative. Is it?

Thanks in advance for any insider advice!

In regard to the Int. Car Document (ITP) I have tried to get one in Prachuap Khirikhan. No joy. The advice I got from the road transport department was get it in Bangkok (car is registered there) or at Udon Thani. As BKK is off my list of most favourable place to drive these days I was hoping that Udon Thani was a viable alternative. Is it?

The ITP (aka car passport) has to be applied for in the province where the car is registered as far as I know.

Personally, I would leave my car in Thailand as who knows how good Lao insurance is and if your car was damaged it would be a major hassle to get it repaired. I was in a crash in Kaliesin and got it repaired there without problems. Grateful I wasn't in Laos.

Be sure to check your passport carefully before leaving Thai immigration in Laos to be sure that they cancelled your current visa and issued a one year non-immigrant visa so you can renew your driver's license.

Good luck!

I appreciate all of your help for all of us who are a little apprehensive about these "runs" until we do it a couple of times! Can anyone tell me, since I'm going to Vientiane on 4 March to obtain a double-entry tourist Visa, if I should have any problems with that being that my Current 60day-Tourist Visa-extended to 90 days, will expire on 5 March? 4 March is the VERY SOONEST I can go to Vientiane from Chaiyaphum for this exercise! I would appreciate any help from "anyone" as long as I don't get the wrong info please!

I appreciate all of your help for all of us who are a little apprehensive about these "runs" until we do it a couple of times! Can anyone tell me, since I'm going to Vientiane on 4 March to obtain a double-entry tourist Visa, if I should have any problems with that being that my Current 60day-Tourist Visa-extended to 90 days, will expire on 5 March? 4 March is the VERY SOONEST I can go to Vientiane from Chaiyaphum for this exercise! I would appreciate any help from "anyone" as long as I don't get the wrong info please!

No problem to leave on either the 4th or by midnight on the 5th.

Thanks UJ. Also I will I need to show my new dates to fly out of Thailand after the "dates of the double entry with extensions will be exhausted"? I will more than likely try to get another double entry at that time if no-one here thinks I will not be able to!? Also and most importantly, can anyone here please tell me the hours of operation of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane as they seem to not want to answer there phone. And just to obtain a double-entry, will I have to stay over night if I arrive early on the 4th or will I be able to get the Visa I'm after fairly quickly? Thanks in advance!

Thanks UJ. Also I will I need to show my new dates to fly out of Thailand after the "dates of the double entry with extensions will be exhausted"? I will more than likely try to get another double entry at that time if no-one here thinks I will not be able to!? Also and most importantly, can anyone here please tell me the hours of operation of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane as they seem to not want to answer there phone. And just to obtain a double-entry, will I have to stay over night if I arrive early on the 4th or will I be able to get the Visa I'm after fairly quickly? Thanks in advance!

Info about embassy consular section here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

You apply morning of first day and pick it up the next afternoon.

It does not matter if you fly out or cross by land as long as you leave on or before the permitted to stay date stamped in your passport it will not be a problem.

You should not have a problem getting another 2 entry visa.

Info about embassy consular section here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

You apply morning of first day and pick it up the next afternoon.

It does not matter if you fly out or cross by land as long as you leave on or before the permitted to stay date stamped in your passport it will not be a problem.

You should not have a problem getting another 2 entry visa.

Thanks, a relief. So I do not need to show a "flight-out" of Thailand? And also I had one heck of a time making the link work, but finally copied and pasted it and got it to come up. I see something on there saying the Embassy I will need is in the "Counsular Section", am I reading that wrong? I will be going to the main

Royal Thai Embassy correct?

The consular section where you need to go is separate from the embassy. There is a map you can get by clicking the link on the webpage.

I tested the link an it works for me on Chrome.

One last question, I "hope" (and I bet most of you do too, lol)! Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive Hotel near the Consular section where I will be going to, obviously be spending the night so as to pickup my Passport/w/Visa the next day?

Did this run last year in the girlfriend's car. Left the car at the Nong Khai Resort (100 baht per night) which is right opposite the train station. Got the train back from Laos and only had to walk across the road.

Enjoy your trip!

If you remember, how much was the Train ride? and how did you stamp into Thailand? Also what is the easiest way to get to the train station from the Thai Consular Visa building? Thanks

Hi, train fare was 20 baht. Laos immigration at Thanelang Station, Thai immigration at Nong Khai Station. If you book the train ride through a guesthouse or agent you will be collected and driven to the rail station. Not sure of costs in that case. We got a tuk tuk, can't remember what we paid him.

Did this run last year in the girlfriend's car. Left the car at the Nong Khai Resort (100 baht per night) which is right opposite the train station. Got the train back from Laos and only had to walk across the road.

Enjoy your trip!

If you remember, how much was the Train ride? and how did you stamp into Thailand? Also what is the easiest way to get to the train station from the Thai Consular Visa building? Thanks

The ITP (aka car passport) has to be applied for in the province where the car is registered as far as I know.

Re: Intl. Transport Permit (ITP)

Just to follow this up and close out by reporting the most recent encounter at the Dept. of Land Land Transport at Pranbury - Prachuap Kirikhan:

- You can get your documentation to enter a foreign country by car from an Land Transport office closest to home, i.e. you don't have to go to the place where your car is registered (in my case BKK).

- Provided you have your passport/visa, certificate of address or yellow book, Car registration (blue book), 200 BHT, you will be issued with your a. ITP, b. vehicle inspection certificate (in English) and c. vehicle registration certificate (in English), as well as 2 T-stickers which when stuck on your car show your from Thailand.

- all in all this took me 45 mins to obtain (speak Thai neat noy) and was one of the more pleasant encounters with Thai bureaucracy.

Bon voyage everyone - see you in Luang Prabang!

PS: Grateful if anybody can provide recent hotel/resort recommendation for LP.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Intl. Transport Permit (ITP)

Just to follow this up and close out by reporting the most recent encounter at the Dept. of Land Land Transport at Pranbury - Prachuap Kirikhan:

- You can get your documentation to enter a foreign country by car from an Land Transport office closest to home, i.e. you don't have to go to the place where your car is registered (in my case BKK).

- Provided you have your passport/visa, certificate of address or yellow book, Car registration (blue book), 200 BHT, you will be issued with your a. ITP, b. vehicle inspection certificate (in English) and c. vehicle registration certificate (in English), as well as 2 T-stickers which when stuck on your car show your from Thailand.

- all in all this took me 45 mins to obtain (speak Thai neat noy) and was one of the more pleasant encounters with Thai bureaucracy.

Bon voyage everyone - see you in Luang Prabang!

PS: Grateful if anybody can provide recent hotel/resort recommendation for LP.

Yes that was my experience too - but in order to get a proof of address, unless you are living here long term and have either a yellow book or a work permit (in which case your work address will be used) you will need to get a statement from your embassy certifying your address (this is usually referred to as a notary declaration or statutory declaration depending on the terminology used in different countries). This means probably having to go to Bangkok as few countries have consulates outside of Bangkok and even if they do, they generally won't do notary statements or similar (although as individual embassies/consulates have different rules I can't generalize...I simply know that for my countries of citizenship, I have to go to Bangkok and besides, I live in BKK anyway). Make sure you have address verification with you before you show up at the land transport department. If you don't, they'll send you away to get such proof before processing your request for an ITP or English translation (Vehicle Registration Certificate).

Also note that while it isn't important, if your notary declaration mentions an address different to the one mentioned in your blue book (or green book for motorcycles), the land transport department will still process your request but might tell you that you could have problems at the border because the addresses aren't the same. This is incorrect advice on their part and there's no need to worry. Here's why: for starters, they translate the address from the blue/green book into English (and not the notary declaration you give them) and you wouldn't need to have a separate notary declaration of your address with you to show at the border, as there is no such requirement (besides, the LTD keeps that document anyway) - the blue/green book already contains address information and the ITP/vehicle registration certificate is it's translation.

For Laos, the purple ITP is required, for all other countries that you can enter with a Thai car (Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia and Myanmar) the English translation is required (although for Cambodia they may not ask you for it, but if you were to go there, I'd recommend bringing it anyway just in case).

There are probably hundreds of hotels in Luang Prabang, many of which you can book via www.agoda.com, but my recommendation would be the Luang Prabang Paradise Hotel, which is located on Rte 13N, not far from the airport and next to the river. It is just after the bridge if you're coming from the south. The location is a bit out of town (about 3-4km) but it's perfect if you've got your own car. Besides, many of the hotels inside the main tourist area of Luang Prabang don't offer any or at least any convenient parking for guests...then again very few foreigners visiting Laos, especially Luang Prabang bring their own cars or rent cars, hence there's not much need I guess.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

post-32650-0-73875200-1395530065_thumb.jpost-32650-0-22011600-1395530082_thumb.jI go up to Laos 2-4 times a year and always leave our car at the secure parking near the bridge at Nong Khai. Just came back from a 6-day trip yesterday, and at baht 100 a day, well worth the expense. Have left the car there for up to 10 days, never had a problem.

Check attached for location.

Mac