Vietnam, HCMC and Nha Trang

Spaniel

I'm off to Vietnam around 8 March for a week to 10 days. Will fly into HCMC for a few days then a side trip up to Nha Trang then return to Saigon and back to Bangkok. I was last in HCMC about 3 years ago and even longer for Nha Trang. I'll probably stay in the "backpacker" area in HCMC, maybe a place called the Ly Loan GH, but looking for any hotel suggestions for both HCMC as well as Nha Trang in the $20 a night range. Any particular scams I should be aware of? Haven't booked a flight as yet but probably AirAsia or that new Viet airline. Any travel tips appreciated.

Scams abound in Vietnam. Taxi's and hotels are among the tops. Taxis inflate their fares, and then say the hotel you are booked into has closed. Or, you get to a hotel with the same name, only to find out there are 3 or more with the same name! 555555

Same goes with the transport companies. Make sure you are on the right one, not a competitor.

Have fun!

1. inflated taxi fares, especially from the airport

2. many businesses with the same name. easy to get stuck with the inferior, copy cat one, instead of the better original one.

3. be careful with people saying they want to practice English. Even though they said they didn't want anything, at the end of an hour, they tried to get me to pay the bill. even though I told them right up front I wasn't paying for anything. I literally was chased out by several big guys. but I didn't pay. It was a scam.

4. copy cat transport companies. Make sure you get on the real one, not the copy one.

5. taxi took me to my hotel. I got out, looked at the name, wrong place.10 minutes of arguing to get him to take me to my hotel. It wasn't pretty. I was so flustered (and jet lagged), he short changed me and I didn't even notice.

6 I booked a Ha Long bay trip. Eventual trip was shorter and in a different category of boat. And 1/2 day was spent walking around some junk town that wasn't on the itinerary.

7. do whatever you can to avoid the hordes of children selling trinkets. They'll surround you and next thing you know, small hands are going through your stuff.

Here's some good articles on scams:

http://goseasia.about.com/od/vietnam/a/scams-in-vietnam.htm

Nomadic Matt is one of the best travel bloggers out there:

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/why-ill-never-return-to-vietnam/

With that being said, I love Vietnam. Can't wait to go back. Just educate yourself and know you're going to get scammed, one way or another. But usually, for only small amounts of money. No biggie.

I can`t really help you but went in January to HCMC for first time, stayed in District 1 ( the backpacker area) and really enjoyed it.

I was advised to only use either Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis, used the former mostly, always used the meter, no issue.

Certainly are some " copycats " that look and sound similar

I stayed at Liberty 3 hotel but it was nearer $ 40 than $ 20, nice place, but with some noisy building work nearby.

I liked the general area, plenty of restaurants and bars all within walking distance.

I encountered no problems at all on my visit, just took normal precautions.

Great fun, nice people, good mix of visitors.

HCMC gets a high rating from me

smile.png

Do they still have those hop on/hop off buses that go the length of the country? It's an odd place, it was cheaper to use those transport companies than the inferior local transport that was still about the same price but there was a feeling of being herded around

I ended up opting out and just getting the bus myself, waaaay more inconvenient but a lot more interesting and probably not far off the same price with the good ol double pricing :D

Basically, find out the price of everything, including small items such as water as they will try it on from water to ciggies to any daily item

This was more than 10 years back and I enjoyed the places individually but not the whole being herded part of it