Chiang Mai Residents Unhappy with Chinese Tourists

khwaibah

The Chinese now behave as the Americans once did when the latter were ruling the world. Ditto the Russians. Visitors from the "Great Power" countries tend to behave like uncivilized boors in the countries they have conquered.

Used to be the British, the French and the Germans a few decades ago. But at least the Brits used to confine their shouting to when they were trying to make a foreigner understand English.

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a couple of articles in Chiang Mai News about this poll, but really not much more information than a very brief summary of the results and nothing about whether the poll is valid or not.

My personal encounters have been pleasant, but I have been very careful driving since tourists on bikes and motorbikes can be careless. As tourists, they tend to be looking at the sites rather than after themselves. At the same time, I have seen a fair number of bandaged farang in hospital. No Chinese yet although I imagine there must have been some this season.

How about never looking before crossing the street, a danger to society...

It was un-thinkable...while flying China Southern (missed my original flight)...when they handed out the small moist cloth to refresh your face and hands...a Chinese guy...across the isle...pull his pants down to his ankles...and proceeded to use the cloth to refresh his genital area...

The amazing thing...none of the Chinese thought it was unusual...

• Like 1

The Chinese now behave as the Americans once did when the latter were ruling the world. Ditto the Russians. Visitors from the "Great Power" countries tend to behave like uncivilized boors in the countries they have conquered.

Used to be the British, the French and the Germans a few decades ago. But at least the Brits used to confine their shouting to when they were trying to make a foreigner understand English.

Beyond stupid comment. I'd like to take a big dump on you right now.

• Like 1

Tourists in Pattaya....I'll trade you two Chinese for four Russians.......Hope the

Russians discover CM soon.

Hope not. On a trip to Phuket 2 years ago we witnessed acts by Russian tourists that really saddened us. We saw Thais actually crying one morning in Phuket town after an incident that occurred minutes before we entered their establishment. The owner told us what happened, and it involved a group of Russian tourists. It was shocking.

I thought that was American, not English. Gee, we got no claim to fame left anymore.

Why? They have been living with the Chinese for hundreds of years.

Suddenly, they remembered to get angry with the tourists?

Even the Chines Thais complain about the Chinese tourists! I watched a Chinese family's kid squat and take a dump on the pavement by the moat road! A group of Chinese rented motor bikes and there wasn't enough helmets to go around for the pillion passengers so they just started taking helmets from other bike parked near by! It's true to say they're not very popular in CM I'm afraid

This is not just when travelling. When I visited the Forbidden City in Beijing there was a mother who pulled down her son's pants to let him take a dump in the middle of the crowds. She did have the courtesy to place a paper plate under him though, so she's got that going for her, which is nice...

She was obviously from a good family.... When you see the Chinese tourists it does make you wonder if that one child law is still in place as they do seem to have a few nippers about them

If it was only a paper plate (not china biggrin.png ) she was only low class. By the way, I wonder what she did with the plate of poop.

• Like 1

Tourists in Pattaya....I'll trade you two Chinese for four Russians.......Hope the

Russians discover CM soon.

Hope not. On a trip to Phuket 2 years ago we witnessed acts by Russian tourists that really saddened us. We saw Thais actually crying one morning in Phuket town after an incident that occurred minutes before we entered their establishment. The owner told us what happened, and it involved a group of Russian tourists. It was shocking.

Shock Us Will You...

This reminds me of my time teaching in Vietnam. The Vietnamese would bump into you without saying excuse me, cut in life, talk loudly, and blatantly pick their noses. I didn't see anyone shit in the streets, which was a plus. I also agree with what Prism said, I talked to this HK Chinese chick and she said she couldn't stand the mainlanders since they are loud, rude, and have no manners. I also hear many are crafty and shyster'ish, but maybe that happens everywhere.

Beyond stupid comment. I'd like to take a big dump on you right now.

Agreed. I'm an American living abroad and I've never been boorish, ethnocentric or acted like I ruled the world. I've met plenty of arrogant Brits, Europeans, Russians, etc. so it's more human nature and not just one country.

I have a good friend that's Hong Kong Chinese and he despises the mainlanders for the being discussed reasons. He calls them Locusts(very derogatory term in HK).

I remember visiting Thailand for the first time years ago, there was always literature around in tour agencies, on the planes and hotels on how to behave when visiting Thailand. Tour guides would always tell you to be polite, take off shoes, the Wai, etc. Looks like the Chinese tourists are not getting the memo.

I agree about promoting Cultural Guides for Northern Thailand,...an extreme saturation promotion,...so that even European and Thai's see it. I came to Northern Thailand for the culture,...not to bring my culture to them. Anyone ever see how Americans ruined Mexico?

Action needs to taken now. Of course the anti-government folks in South Thailand will view such action as wasting their money,...even if it's paid for through a local hotel tax.

Some sectors like the Chinese coming here to Thailand and for sure if the Chinese leave a decent tip the THAI people love it but if they don't leave a tip which is mostly the case then Thai's seem to complain about the Chinese. If sale start to fall because the Chinese are not visiting, the Thai's will complain that the money is not moving. Not sure what the answer is except to say that THAI Tourist Authority should propagate information to visitors about Thai customs and the do's and don'ts such as respect, driving, etc... Personally I think that Thailand has done a poor job of educating. Hundreds of vehicles from China come into Thailand. I have personally observed about 3 dozen vehicles following each other. The drivers have their vehicle steering wheel on the opposite side and they just don't know the driving habits therefore pose more of a risk to us that live and drive here. I hope that Thailand has a campaign or a more comprehensive program to educate the Chinese before coming here.

Agreed. I'm an American living abroad and I've never been boorish, ethnocentric or acted like I ruled the world. I've met plenty of arrogant Brits, Europeans, Russians, etc. so it's more human nature and not just one country.

Perhaps you don't act that way,...nor do I,...but many Americans come here and disrespect the culture,...I see it everyday. I often feel ashamed about being an American,...and do what I can to show that some Americans, or other farang, are not here to trash the place through their disrespect or elitism. My biggest worry is that the Northern Thai will bend to the influences of foreigners.

I visited Taiwan for a week, earlier this month. What a contrast to Thai people. In one week I only saw three people smile. During that week I walked no less than 100km,...from Taoyuan to Taipei 101, to the Palace Museum. I'd hate to see the Thai lose their smile.

Thank goodness a poster has remembered to blame the Americans. Given time some one will blame Chiang Mai's air pollution on those naughty Americans in Detroit burning their garbage :)

Personally I love the Chinese and Russians- they make we Americans look so good.

Who's you're Daddy now Kemosabe? :D

• Like 2

One sollution would be to have the police start fineing the tourist for littering and spitting, and for the fine to be raised to 1000 baht, plus special police patrols just for this reason following groups of them around, would be easy to collect 10,000 baht + aday! Posting signs around the city to this effect would help also.

I can understand what they are going through. We have Chinese tourists in Far North Queensland, Australia. When they are at the airport their behaviour is as described, including instances of defecating on the airport floor. Whenever their flights arrive/leave the toilets need frequent closing for cleaning. Generally they are a rabble.

Amusing that the Thais are offended that Chinese tourists (shock, gasp!) cut the line and litter

Pot calling the kettle black whistling.gif

In all fairness, however, I have never experienced improper behaviour (jumping the queue) by Thais at the MRT or the skytrain.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The old ugly Brit or ugly American syndrome has been replaced by the ugly Russian or ugly Aussie, but even on their worst days the Brits, Americans, Russians (well maybe a little closer) and Aussies did not behave anywhere close to the way these Chinese are behaving. Even the Koreans who are universally hated throughout SE Asia for their despicable behavior, don't quite match the Chinese sad.png

Tourists visit because they are interested in something Thailand has to offer be it the culture, food or landscape.

Hilarious! You really are a funny guy.

'The culture, food or landscape'!? Excellent

Don't tell me, you came to Thailand for the temples?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think as hosts its our job to like or not like tourists.

Tourists visit because they are interested in something Thailand has to offer be it the culture, food or landscape.

I can understand that the Chinese can be loud and have less regard for social etiquette but it is not out of disrespect, rather it is their culture.

The country and many individuals depend on income from tourism so lets try not to nit pick only what we like and instead try to see each guest as being different and that they are our guests and as long as they are law abiding, welcome them without judgement and racism.

If they cut the line, tell them firmly but politely.

If they spit, fine them heavily as they do in Hong Kong.

Proper social behavior can influenced by laws as seen in Singapore.

Pigeon-holing people's behavior by country is rather unfair to the rest.

I agree smiley, one can not judge an entire country by a few hundred thousand tourists. I am certain there are some very well mannered Chinese and Korean tourists that visit Thailand, I just have never met them as of yet smile.png

When you live with them you get used to it thumbsup.gif

It's so deep in the culture that it does not improve until next generations comes to visit. Every single day you see the same things to happen, spitting, farting, blowing their nose empty and finding end result on the floor, urine everywhere in the toilet and what makes my day, puke on sidewalks every single morning. Normal stuff after dinner by middle aged people(too much "white wine", local moonshine). burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

• Like 1