Honda recommend gear range

jayci

Does anyone follow the Honda guidelines for gear selection on their bikes. I have a wave 125i and the recommended gear range is 1st 0-40km/h, 2nd 40-60km/h, 3rd 60-100km/h and 4th 100-130km/h.

I am quite often in 4th at 40km / h.

The bike must be screaming if following the guidelines.

post-172666-13932497672271_thumb.jpg

Hi jayci, it is the gear range but also the maximum speed you can reach in the mentionned gear. For exemple, your shouldnt go any faster than 40km/h in the first gear, 60 in second...

Not respecting this you go into the red zone...and kill the engine.

Me too i often go 40km/h in 4th...

Edited by nelson bunker

Try to 'feel' the engine, that is actually much easier on a bike than on a car.

Too high a gear, as you give it a modicum of throttle, it doesn't want to take it and almost chokes. In general you may want to keep a gear that is low enough to adapt your speed to traffic without downshift, that will save fuel and wear.

Way too high a gear, engine knocks, but I guess everyone knows that.

• Like 1

Jayci,

Max power is at 7500, max torque at 5000 rpm. You are free to use whatever gear you want but if in mixed traffic at 40 kph 4th gear will not put you in the optimum rev range to be able to accelerate out of trouble. I suggest you play around with roll on acceleration to determine which gear gives you the best pick up from your chosen cruising speed. Then if "alone" on the road tootle along in fourth but change to the optimum gear if you are approaching other traffic.

Easy.

• Like 1