Spraying of empty field

JesseFrank

My house is surrounded by more than 20 Rai of farm land, which for the past few years I think had Tapioca on it. Last harvest was about 2 months ago and it has been empty since.

Right now there is a large spray truck on it spraying all the land.

I assume it isn't clear water that is in the tank though, and my Thai is not good enough to go ask them what is in the water.

Anyone has an idea what and for which reason they are spraying.

You might find it's fermented sewage.w00t.gif

A company in Pak Chong take sewage and mix it with EM, molassas and all sorts of other goodies and when it's good and ready will arrive in a big tanker and pump it onto your land. For a fee of course.smile.png

A lot of locals seem none too impressed....but it works.

Regards.

I didn't smell, which i assume sewage would do, and the sprayed actually 3 truck loads which they filled up at the nearby river, and I guess they add some chemical to it.

It can just be clear water, but I doubt they would do that on a empty field. In the afternoon a tractor came to plow the land, but nothing was planted.

The reason I ask is that at one point they sprayed over my perimeter wall onto my lawn. I'm actually concerned that if it is some weed killing stuff, and that I may wake up to no lawn.

hi ,

Cant you ask your wife to ask the land owner what they sprayed and why,,

also keep a record of the day and time they sprayed ,, maybe youll get a nice new lawn,, if its a fert,

or on the other hand maybe they'll have to buy and plant you a new lawn if its a grass/weed killer,

best of luck either way

on a side note ,,,i did some weed praying in northen Australia,, it cost my employer 400,000 dollars in compo

its a big problem in farming in australia,,

hi ,

Cant you ask your wife to ask the land owner what they sprayed and why,,

also keep a record of the day and time they sprayed ,, maybe youll get a nice new lawn,, if its a fert,

or on the other hand maybe they'll have to buy and plant you a new lawn if its a grass/weed killer,

best of luck either way

on a side note ,,,i did some weed praying in northen Australia,, it cost my employer 400,000 dollars in compo

its a big problem in farming in australia,,

If I had someone available who could ask the landowner, I wouldn't have started this thread, isn't it.

As for planting me a new lawn if it was a weed killer, I think in Thailand they are deaf at that side.

I think your employer in Australia must have loved you for the spray job you did. Is that the reason you're in Thailand by any chance laugh.png ( just joking )

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You might find it's fermented sewage.w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif alt=w00t.gif width=18 height=20>

A company in Pak Chong take sewage and mix it with EM, molassas and all sorts of other goodies and when it's good and ready will arrive in a big tanker and pump it onto your land. For a fee of course.smile.png

Regards.

I didn't smell, which i assume sewage would do, and the sprayed actually 3 truck loads which they filled up at the nearby river, and I guess they add some chemical to it.

It can just be clear water, but I doubt they would do that on a empty field. In the afternoon a tractor came to plow the land, but nothing was planted.

The reason I ask is that at one point they sprayed over my perimeter wall onto my lawn. I'm actually concerned that if it is some weed killing stuff, and that I may wake up to no lawn.

Sewage, properly treated with EM and diluted will not smell

They may be spraying diluted EM to help speed up decomposition of ploughed in crop residue and improve fertility.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You might find it's fermented sewage.w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif alt=w00t.gif width=18 height=20>

Regards.

They may be spraying diluted EM to help speed up decomposition of ploughed in crop residue and improve fertility.

What is EM ?

So as I said, they spayed yesterday AM then came to plow in the PM, and same again today. Spray then plow. Is it usual that this practice is repeated ?

Regards.

What is EM ?

So as I said, they spayed yesterday AM then came to plow in the PM, and same again today. Spray then plow. Is it usual that this practice is repeated ?

"What is EM ?"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/215246-effective-micro-organisms/

You'd know if it was EM from the colour. It would look like strong tea. I get the impression from the OP that it is colourless, which I can only assume is Urea mixed with water. (?) Or maybe a concoction, like a hydroponic mixture?

Regards.

Once diluted 500/1 or 1000/1, the colour, especially when sprayed wouldn't be apparent

You'd know if it was EM from the colour. It would look like strong tea. I get the impression from the OP that it is colourless, which I can only assume is Urea mixed with water. (?) Or maybe a concoction, like a hydroponic mixture?

Regards.

Once diluted 500/1 or 1000/1, the colour, especially when sprayed wouldn't be apparent

Since we are talking about EM. In the link you posted earlier was a post with a picture of ready made EM available in 5 liter cans.

Should that also be diluted 500/1 or 1000/1 and would it be good for a lawn, where the clippings are not picked up to, speed up the fermenting.

Regards.

Since we are talking about EM. In the link you posted earlier was a post with a picture of ready made EM available in 5 liter cans.

Should that also be diluted 500/1 or 1000/1 and would it be good for a lawn, where the clippings are not picked up to, speed up the fermenting.

I doubt that you would need to buy 5 litre cans, unless you are going to treat a very large area. I buy the 1 litre size.

Lawn clippings spread thinly over a lawn are unlikely to ferment. Treating with diluted EM will certainly speed up the decomposing though. I have no experience with EM and lawns, but I would think that drenching at 1000/1 every 2 to 4 weeks would be good for it. I drench my leafy green vegetables once a week and they grow so much better than before.

Edited by loong

Regards.

I doubt that you would need to buy 5 litre cans, unless you are going to treat a very large area. I buy the 1 litre size.

Lawn clippings spread thinly over a lawn are unlikely to ferment. Treating with diluted EM will certainly speed up the decomposing though. I have no experience with EM and lawns, but I would think that drenching at 1000/1 every 2 to 4 weeks would be good for it. I drench my leafy green vegetables once a week and they grow so much better than before.

I confused fermenting with decomposting, after all I'm a keyboard warrior not a farmer, but that is actually the intention of leaving the clippings on the lawn.

I will give it a try soon. What is your understanding of drenching, I have about 1000 m² of lawn. How many liters of diluted solution I should use for that kind of area ?

There's a whole pinned thread on the kitchen garden section on compost teas. Mix compost, EM, molassas, maybe chuck in some dried seaweed and ferment it in a large barrel with an air stone for a few days. Dilute it down 5/10/20 to 1 and use it as a drench on anything. Chuck a few buckets on to your compost pile to speed things up. Add some wood vinegar and use as a foliage spray to keep bugs at bay.....the list is endless.

Some very knowledgeable guys spent a lot of time and effort to bring this information to us. It works. It deserves to be read.

Regards.

I will give it a try soon. What is your understanding of drenching, I have about 1000 m² of lawn. How many liters of diluted solution I should use for that kind of area ?

Difficult to say because it depends on type of soil etc. .Dig a small hole, or if you have a tool to take a plug, and see how dry the soil is about 3 inches down. Really, you need to give what you think is a good watering.

and take another sample later. If the water hasn't penetrated at least 3 inches, then you haven't given it as good a watering as you thought.

It's not an exact science though.

Often, when people water, they only give enough to moisten the very top layer and this evaporates quickly in the heat. I generally only water every 2 days except for new seedlings or when it is very hot.

Difficult to say because it depends on type of soil etc. .Dig a small hole, or if you have a tool to take a plug, and see how dry the soil is about 3 inches down. Really, you need to give what you think is a good watering.

and take another sample later. If the water hasn't penetrated at least 3 inches, then you haven't given it as good a watering as you thought.

Often, when people water, they only give enough to moisten the very top layer and this evaporates quickly in the heat. I generally only water every 2 days except for new seedlings or when it is very hot.

But I think there is a difference between seedlings and a lawn with Malaysian grass. The root of this kind of grass stay only about 2 cm under the top layer.

But I think there is a difference between seedlings and a lawn with Malaysian grass. The root of this kind of grass stay only about 2 cm under the top layer.

The roots may only penetrate 2 cm, but as that top layer of soil dries out by evaporation etc water will move up from the lower level to help keep the top level moist.

Sub soil ecology is important. If the lower soil level is too dry, micro-organisms may die or become dormant. Also earthworms may not move into the area and they are important because as they move through the soil, they bring nutrients up from the lower levels and take dead organic matter down from the surface that feed the micro-organisms

• Like 2

Maybe a silly question but are you near the sea? I come from an island called Guernsey in the Channel Islands and we flood the field/ greenhouse for about 1 week to take out the salt content (ph) level. Normally planting week later after a dose of Gramoxone to kill any seeds fermenting

You might find it's fermented sewage.w00t.gif

Regards.

Could be for weeds and pre emergent weed control ??????????????????

I'd guess they had yield problems with their tapioca crops and had the soil analyzed and had found they had a macro or micronutrient deficiency and are supplementing the soil with N,P,K, Mg, Ca or whatever there wasn't enough of.

Are they spraying it like in a fine spray or like a sprinkler spray. If its a fine spray it could be pre-emergence herbicide, but due to them spraying for 2 days for 20 rai I would say he is applying a fertilizer.They have a homemade organic brew thats mixed with water and sprayed on the soil.

They were spraying it with a truck with an at least 5000 liter tank and a water cannon on top, spraying more than 40 meters far. They aren't soaking the land either.

They did wet it, afternoon the tractor came. Next day repeat situation. Since nothing has happened, no planting so far.

They refilled the truck at the nearby river, but I don't know if they added something.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

It won't be a herbicide. If it is, report to relevant authorities for spraying in this manner. Like that'd do any good... locals would not be impressed either so rest assured that that is not what it is.