Problems With Thai SIM Card In UK

Autumng70

I have a Thai SIM card which I have had for approx. 3 years, its AIS one to call. I live in the UK and am back to Thailand next month so thought I would check Thai phone is OK. It's' an unlocked iphone 4 S, when I switched on it says no service, usually it picks up Vodafone or O2 when roaming in UK. So I thought maybe its past it's sell by date & ordered another from Amazon which arrived and I installed, same no service. I called the seller and he said that if I looked at the phone settings, about the phone and if there was ICCID number the phone would work in Thailand but would not roam in the UK. I am not sure if this SIM is faulty as well? I would really like to keep my old number as all my friends in Thailand know it. Can anyone help?

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.

You must have international roaming enabled on any Thai SIM in order to get a signal from a local/partner provider.

My best guess(es):

SIM #1 is expired and the number has been recycled. But not sure when you last used it in Thailand, or if it ever roamed in the U.K..

SIM #2 has not had international roaming enabled.

Not sure how much can be done until you arrive in Thailand, where you can try to recover SIM #1, SIM#2 or just purchase a new SIM for 50 baht.

All the Thai SIM cards, including AIS and DTAC, I have roam internationally, provided I have requested IR be enabled, the handset supports the necessary frequencies and the service provider has a partner in the target countries.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.aspx

You can step through the options.

You can request IR be enabled via email: [email protected] but suspect SIM #2 has not yet been activated. Further the OP could inquire about the status of SIM #1. Finally, maybe best to switch to AWN, the new AIS/2100 MHz subsidiary upon arrival.

AIS has had to get (some) new IR partners for their transition to AWN, so some legacy IR partners may not recognize the "old" SIM?

Thanks for your help guys, sim1 which I have had for about 3years has always roamed ok in the UK, but guess it has now expired although it did have 150 thb credit left.... Guess I will have to wait til I get to land of smiles to see which works ! I tried emailing AIS but have had no reply

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app