Brit tourist injured, pays B200k after Phuket jet-ski smash

webfact

Brit tourist injured, pays B200k after Phuket jet-ski smash
Claire Connell

1393325486_1.jpg
A sense of perspective: David Rimmer. Photo Steve Weemes, Herts and Essex Newspapers Ltd

PHUKET: -- A British man is thankful he’s alive after he crashed a jet-ski into a speedboat while on holiday on the island, and ended up having to fork out B200,000 to settle the bill.

David Rimmer, a journalist from Hertford, England, is now extending a warning to other tourists looking at hiring jet-skis: Only do it if you know what you’re doing.

Mr Rimmer hired a jet-ski on February 9 while at Patong Beach, but he quickly got into trouble.

“From memory, I set off and the machine seemed to stop and start before accelerating. I then rode a straight line for about 300 yards before I turned around. The problems then started … and I headed toward the shore,” he told The Phuket News.

“My main aim was to avoid people and I ended up crashing into a speedboat. [it was] mainly me losing control. I do not know for sure if it was malfunctioning.”

Helped by two nurses from Australia, a shocked Mr Rimmer suffered severe bruised ribs, a sprained left ankle, a gash on his right calf, and bruises on his right leg.

“There were lots of people crowding around and I was in no fit state to talk to anybody. I cannot remember things very well but I do remember a police person being very officious.

“After a delay of about an hour I was taken to what I presume was Patong Hospital. I was there for about 90 minutes before being taken to the police station.”

Negotiation took place between Mr Rimmer and the jet-ski and boat owners over compensation for the damage. At first, Mr Rimmer said he was asked to pay B250,000, but this was reduced to B200,000.

The British Embassy in Bangkok were called, but Mr Rimmer said that “nothing much could be done”.

“I was not aware of any other problems faced by British tourists regarding jet-skis, and if I was, I would not have done it. Only do it if you are proficient.

“The most important thing is I didn’t kill anyone or hurt anyone and I lived to tell the tale. You shouldn’t do sports unless you are very adept, and I’m not. It’s a lesson learnt,” Mr Rimmer was quoted as saying in his home newspaper, the Hertfordshire Mercury.

“[it gave me a] sense of perspective,” he added.

“There are many people far worse off than me, and I am still alive. But I [do] not have money to go overseas now for quite a few years.”

A spokeswoman for the British Embassy told The Phuket News, “We can confirm that we were contacted by Mr Rimmer’s friend on February 10, however due to data protection legislation we are unable to share the details of that conversation.”

She said the Foreign Office travel advice for Thailand gives the following advice about hiring a jet ski:

“If you rent jet-skis or water sports equipment, satisfy yourself that adequate safety precautions are in place. Rent only from reputable, licensed and insured operators, thoroughly check for damage before use and insist on training.

“Don’t hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a jet-ski. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the jet-ski.”

A guide issued by the Embassy, titled ‘Support for British nationals abroad: a guide’, says the Embassy “cannot get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters because we are in no position to judge the facts and have no jurisdiction overseas to resolve such matters,” the spokeswoman said.

Phuket-based British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter told The Phuket News he did not know about the incident until he was alerted to the story in the Hertfordshire Mercury.

Kathu Police, who cover the Patong area, said they were not involved in the negotiation process, which they said took place on the beach, and were unable to provide details of the case.

The Tourist Police, also based in Patong, were also unable to provide details when contacted by The Phuket News.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-tourist-injured-pays-b200k-after-phuket-jet-ski-smash-44814.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-26

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't suprise me if the jet ski was tampered with by its operators so this kind of thing would happen. They demand money from you when you don't have an accident, so when one happens its pay day. Just glad the guy is ok and nobody was killed.

• Like 2

They should have a functioning lanyard that is attached to your wrist, with the other end inserted into keyway that acts as a kill switch for the engine, should you fall off. You only have to pull your arm away from the throttle in it pulls the lanyard cable and the "key" comes out and it should stop.

The below link is case where the jet ski doesn't stop, even after the rider falls off.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/462314-phuket-tourist-forced-to-pay-180000-baht-in-jet-ski-repairs/

This is the final paragraph - “I fell off and the jet-ski kept going. Normally the key comes out and it stops. Now they are trying to tell me that I caused that. I keep telling them that if I had been on [the craft] I would be dead right now – look at the state of it!” she said.

I would not be surprised if the owners tamper with the safety switch to maximse the scam, and couldn't care what, or who, the jet ski crashes into.

A search on Aliepress (.com) yields a new 1300cc jet ski can be purchased from China and shipped to Thailand for US $5,848.14 or about 179,000 baht.

Let's not forget import taxes. If I was buying a jetski it would be a tried and tested model from Yamaha.

Available in Thailand, taxes paid, somewhat more expensive http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/marine/product10.html

• Like 1

Well over $6200 for "damage" to jet ski? Or does that cover speedboat also? Too bad the farang will always lose in these situations. Rule #1 -- rent nothing in these resort areas.

Hey, he didn't lose anything. He admitted he drove the thing without any experience and caused damage. Damn well should pay.

It is easy for us Expats to say that people should know better, however tourists are usually unaware of problems with Jet Ski operators.

Really, ALL rentals (Motorcycle, Car, Jet Ski, everything) should be forced by law to include proper insurance in the rental price, That way the operator is covered and so are the renters.

• Like 1

"You shouldn’t do sports unless you are very adept, and I’m not."

Of course if you play football, noone comes with a shotgun and asks you to pay 200k if you puncture the football.

But if you hit that statue they will ask you to pay for it.

If TAT really wanted to look out for it's tourists, not just the high end ones, they should put big signs at the airports warning them about carrying drugs, shagging bargirls and hiring jetskis. Of course there would always be those who know better but at least they couldn't say they hadn't been warned. thumbsup.gif

Happy holidays!

Edited by bigbamboo

Don't worry there will be no shortage of customers for jet-ski hire no matter how many of these horror stories are printed.

The British Embassy, ha ha. Data Protection Act. Those guys crack me up. They have the best one-liners.

• Like 1