Considering getting a small dog. Upkeep?

wineman

Thanks MJCM. No offence taken.

I'm sorry and no offence intended, but if you need to ask this, then a dog will be probably too expensive.

Please also don't forget that you need to take it to a vet for its shots etc etc, these costs really can add up.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hi, our chihuahuas cost about 50 to 70 thb per pet day in food, we have spent a few thousand on baskets and dens. Vet can vary and I couldn't say but if you estimated 1000 thb per month but be prepared for more that may give you a clue. It will also cost unlimited love and care.

Edited by alant
  • Like 1

As previously said, if you need to ask then can't afford it.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At least he is responsible enough to ask about it.

What I would rather ask him is hrepared to care for and love the dog for all its life. Taking it back overseas is expensive.

• Like 1

We have 3 dogs, a lab, mini daschund and a Thai dog. We buy 1 x 20 kg Pedigree per month = B 1 050. If we take them to the local vet their annual injections cost B 800 per dog, if we take them to the University animal hospital its B 350 per dog. Excluding fancy clothes and bedding, doggie parlors, unneeded food and emergency vet costs I would say B 200 per month. Replace the unneeded food, fancy clothes and bedding with alot of love and attention and he/she will be okay.

We have a toy poodle & a chihuahua. Chihuahua was abandoned as a puppy by some westerner who dumped him outside my mrs shop. What a cracking little dog he's turned out to be. Both dogs are very quiet, hardly bark because we have trained them properly.

Upkeep I would say really around say 1K baht per month for both of them. Government vet for jabs & sickness near the fire station on 3rd road.

Really, if you want a dog you need to think will you be able to give it what it needs? A lot more than just food costs. A big thing which many Thais neglect is taking the dogs for regular exercise. Don't just leave them stuck inside the house or yard day after day. They need mental stimulation too.

• Like 1

I've got a pug I bought in a market over here, never again! He's had health problem after health problem; looked fine as a pup and I didn't think about an inbreeding problem at the time. Can't say his health problems are all due to inbreeding, but have owned dogs all my life and this one by far has the most problems. I'd go for a street dog IF I was going to get a dog again; lots of different genes from different dogs. I'd steer clear of any pure breeds over here unless you know the breeders/owners extremely well. It's too easy for them to get two pure breeds and keep breeding and breeding from the same family.

We spend about 55 baht a day on food, but it's the vet bills that have been enormous.

I know the OP just asked about costs but thought I'd give you some advice in case you were looking for a pure bred.

You also have to think of grooming, and what breed of dog ?

I have 8, takes about 2 hours per dog to wash and blow dry [did 2 yesterday and 2 today] so you will need grooming kit, eg : brush, comb, scissors, nail clippers, hair dryer, electric clippers, shampoo, cotton buds, ear clearer, eye wash/cleaner.. or take the dog to a Groom er 300 baht +, my dogs are small long haired Shih Tzu, 3 of them must be groomed every week.. 2 have a skin problem and must wash with medicated shampoo every expensive.

Vet, just go 1x a year for all the injections [oldest is 13 and youngest just under a year] cost 350 baht each.. [could be done FREE as a Van comes round the Villages every year] + food + treats etc.

As a PS.. if you have/get a long haired dog, you will need a Vacuum cleaner... hair get everywhere, find I need to vacuum the bed sheets as 3 of them come up to bed with me..

Edited by ignis

Actually keeping pedigree dogs tend to have its downfall because owners tend to give them the best. However, if you are not staying in a built up area like in the country, any crossed or mongrel just as a companion would suffice. They are not demanding as from my observation otherwise how would the owners (majority are farmers) going to keep them in dozens? I have seen some of them carrying very beautiful features from their parents I reckon. Seriously consider this option if cost is a great consideration to you.

Depends on what the OP decides to feed the dog. The care and welfare of dogs that are looked after properly is not cheap.

Also hoping that the OP is fully secure and intends to stay in Thailand for at least the next 15 years, the duration of the dog`s lifetime, and he has ample house space and land for the dog to run about?

• Like 1

I've got a pug I bought in a market over here, never again! He's had health problem after health problem; looked fine as a pup and I didn't think about an inbreeding problem at the time. Can't say his health problems are all due to inbreeding, but have owned dogs all my life and this one by far has the most problems. I'd go for a street dog IF I was going to get a dog again; lots of different genes from different dogs. I'd steer clear of any pure breeds over here unless you know the breeders/owners extremely well. It's too easy for them to get two pure breeds and keep breeding and breeding from the same family.

We spend about 55 baht a day on food, but it's the vet bills that have been enormous.

I know the OP just asked about costs but thought I'd give you some advice in case you were looking for a pure bred.

No offence but buying a dog from a market here is the worst way to buy, these dogs are kept in horrible conditions and it's no surprise that your dog had health problems

The breeders/sellers do not care one bit about these dogs and I would urge anybody not to buy from markets, you are only giving profit to these people which will encourage them to do it more

As for the OP, please don't get a dog you obviously have no idea how to care for it

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

Basic shots and rabies 1500 baht a year. Food 30 to 50 baht a day for good dried food bought in big bags. (more in small bags)

Medical care...basic illness say 5000 baht.

Neutering about 1200 baht.

Christ almighty , I have a little dog , a lovely little thing , will not let anyone thro` the gate . upkeep virtually nowt , a bag of dried food that costs 50 bht lasts her a week , she loves to sit next to me when I eat , give her a bit of chicken or moo . As soon as she sees me go the motorbike she is in the basket . Lovely lady vet very reasonable [ dog costs of course] .

• Like 1

Basic shots and rabies 1500 baht a year. Food 30 to 50 baht a day for good dried food bought in big bags. (more in small bags)

Medical care...basic illness say 5000 baht.

Neutering about 1200 baht.

Christ almighty , I have a little dog , a lovely little thing , will not let anyone thro` the gate . upkeep virtually nowt , a bag of dried food that costs 50 bht lasts her a week , she loves to sit next to me when I eat , give her a bit of chicken or moo . As soon as she sees me go the motorbike she is in the basket . Lovely lady vet very reasonable [ dog costs of course] .

If you are only feeding your poor little dog some scraps of dry food at 7 baht a day, than I`m not surprised the dog loves to sit next to you when you.eat. It`s probably hoping that you`re drop some of your food on the floor and help relief it`s starvation.