John Smiths, Newcastle Brown

Can anyone tell me why Carrefours have stopped importing John Smiths and N. Brown Ale? I have been told they can't get it now. Why? Have they stopped making it?

Anywhere else you know that stocks it?

Never fear, they have Leo, Chang, Heine, Tiger and Sing. They have great varieties of food products as well: like 3 aisles of 5 baht noodles and a couple of aisles of sauces, condiments, fish cookies and cooking oils. It's a marvel of variety. On the subject of beer Lao; you'll never see that widely available unless they start brewing it here and let's face it, stores like Big C, Tesco and Carre Four dont bother carrying imports as they are forced to charge exhorbitant prices due to gvt duties effectively wiping out the existense of imported beer at the retail level. Carre Four cannot afford to have these imports on the shelves as they sit and get stale in btw lampard coming in to buy a couple of bottles for the bar. Big C experimented with Corona and Miller Light. The experiment lasted one shipping. Tesco forget it, there aint an import in the place. These are your Thai Superstores

Edited by monochaser

Can anyone tell me why Carrefours have stopped importing John Smiths and N. Brown Ale? I have been told they can't get it now. Why? Have they stopped making it?

Never fear, they have Leo, Chang, Heine, Tiger and Sing. They have great varieties of food products as well: like 3 aisles of 5 baht noodles and a couple of aisles of sauces, condiments, fish cookies and cooking oils. It's a marvel of variety. On the subject of beer Lao; you'll never see that widely available unless they start brewing it here and let's face it, stores like Big C, Tesco and Carre Four dont bother carrying imports as they are forced to charge exhorbitant prices due to gvt duties effectively wiping out the existense of imported beer at the retail level. Carre Four cannot afford to have these imports on the shelves as they sit and get stale in btw lampard coming in to buy a couple of bottles for the bar. Big C experimented with Corona and Miller Light. The experiment lasted one shipping. Tesco forget it, there aint an import in the place. These are your Thai Superstores

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you there, although Big C have started to sell Paulaner Pils and Paulaner. Methinks though it might be brewed in Thailand.

You have to go to Carrefour or Friendship to find all these foreign beers, although as I stated in another post, there is a shop in BKK that only deals in foreign beers. One thing I do disagree though is, about the prices. They are still cheaper here than at home.

By the way, even with all your comments about lack of availability in Thailand, I take it though from your obvious love of Budweiser that you are from the country that you are from the land that introduced prohibition all those years ago :o

And of course don't forget that American Budweiser is a cheap and nasty copy of the real Czech beer.

Edited by lampard10

OK, I admit that I have a love of Budweiser and drank it mainly in the USA, but trust me I have an appreciation of all kinds of different brews. I love stouts, porters and ales. I used to be into Samuel Smith's brewery products for the longest time. I will need to have a look at this Friendship distibutor you speak of. Any more info on that? I will be getting over to carre four soon to examine their current offerings, it has been a while

OK, I admit that I have a love of Budweiser and drank it mainly in the USA, but trust me I have an appreciation of all kinds of different brews. I love stouts, porters and ales. I used to be into Samuel Smith's brewery products for the longest time. I will need to have a look at this Friendship distibutor you speak of. Any more info on that? I will be getting over to carre four soon to examine their current offerings, it has been a while

Friendship is a Chinese Supermarket on Pattaya South Road.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Queen Victoria Inn on Soi 6 here in Pattaya, drinking draught John Smiths and browsing on my laptop. Found this thread and thought I'd add some info. I know the guy who imports John Smiths and Newcastle Brown so I rang him up to as why Carrefour don't stock his beers.

It may be controversial to write here why they don't but here goes. They wanted.........no, perhaps I'd better not write what they wanted. If you want to know the reason why they don't stock it ask Rob, of Fluid Asia Pacific, the importers, yourself on 092266385, or emai him at [email protected].

I've already had his permission to post his number and email address so he won't mind if you call him Especially if you have a bar and want to steal a march on other bar or restaurant owners.

It's pretty obvious why the most extensive imported beer selection offered at retail in Thailand in fewer than 10 brands in the most diverse outlet, probably Villa market or Foodland. It is due to the massive duties imposed on the products. The causes ultra high prices per can or bottle. This is the only country that I know of where each bottle or can of beer is decked out with a special tax sticker as if it were a thousand dollar bottle of wine or bottle of booze (Malaysia does this too but never seen anywhere else on beer). So then as I have stated many times, the high price means very few buyers and thus the product sits on shelves for months and months and months, sometimes years. This is easy to check as most beers have a made by date or expiry date (which is an insane year long code). The products are not even pulled after a year as I have seen expired products constantly.

If someone wants a non German imported lager (German beers are nasty IMO), the selection at retail is reduced to around a half dozen brands tops. Kind of reduces selection you might say. should you want a fresh imported lager (within 3 months of production date), one's selection is reduced to zero. This is the current state of imported beers in Thailand. I dont think we will see a change in this anytime soon. No one wants to walk into a store to buy bottles of beers as if they were expensive bottles of wine

It's pretty obvious why the most extensive imported beer selection offered at retail in Thailand in fewer than 10 brands in the most diverse outlet, probably Villa market or Foodland. It is due to the massive duties imposed on the products. The causes ultra high prices per can or bottle. This is the only country that I know of where each bottle or can of beer is decked out with a special tax sticker as if it were a thousand dollar bottle of wine or bottle of booze (Malaysia does this too but never seen anywhere else on beer). So then as I have stated many times, the high price means very few buyers and thus the product sits on shelves for months and months and months, sometimes years. This is easy to check as most beers have a made by date or expiry date (which is an insane year long code). The products are not even pulled after a year as I have seen expired products constantly.

If someone wants a non German imported lager (German beers are nasty IMO), the selection at retail is reduced to around a half dozen brands tops. Kind of reduces selection you might say. should you want a fresh imported lager (within 3 months of production date), one's selection is reduced to zero. This is the current state of imported beers in Thailand. I dont think we will see a change in this anytime soon. No one wants to walk into a store to buy bottles of beers as if they were expensive bottles of wine