Rabies in Hua Hin area?

mysouldances

I was at Khao Takiab recently and a monkey grabbed the back of my leg a couple of times. It didn't hurt so I didn't think to look to see if the skin was broken. I now read on the WHO website that I should have been vaccinated immediately in such a case. Does anyone know if there have been any reported cases of monkeys with rabies in the area? Or any cases of human contracting rabies from an infected animal in the area? I am feeling quite concerned...

See: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en/

"Category II – nibbling of uncovered skin, minor scratches or abrasions without bleeding

Immediate vaccination and local treatment of the wound"

The WHO writing is not clear. I think it means "nibbling of (i) uncovered skin, (ii) minor scratches, or (iii) abrasions without bleeding". In other words, if there was no risk of contact with monkey saliva and it doesn't fall into category III (basically something piercing the skin) then you are in the clear.

How long is it since you encountered the monkey?

And if you still feel worried, get the injections just to be on the safe side. (It's typically 3 to 6 injections, depending on whether you've previously been inoculated against rabies. You can get this done cheaply at a government hospital.)

I've always heard warnings about Macaque Monkey (the type primarily found in Thailand) bites, not only for rabies but that they have been known to transmit AIDS through bites as well.

This is nonsense at a number of levels. AIDS is a set of symptoms and can't be transmitted per se. It's caused by the HIV virus and similar viruses are present in some simians, but HIV is a human-only virus; it's therefore a logical impossibility for HIV to be transmitted by Macaques to man. Don't believe everything you hear.

Do your research. That virus started in Monkeys in Africa (in the 1970's) and was initially transmitted to humans from them. Macaques are known to be one of the breeds that can have and transmit it.

Currently accepted theory is that HIV originated with apes, not monkeys. More specifically the virus is almost certainly derived from SIV, a related virus which infects Chimpanzees (they're apes, not monkeys). It is believed that HIV evolved after human beings were infected with SIV, so the statement that "[HIV] was initially transmitted to humans from [monkeys]" is wrong on two accounts: (i) it was not HIV that was transmitted, it was SIV, (ii) it was from apes, not monkeys. Macaques have nothing to do with the story.

The earliest recorded case of HIV was from 1959 in a man from Kinshasa, so it definitely didn't start in the 1970s. Genetic analysis suggests it actually arose earlier, in the 40s or early 50s.

Do your research.

Edit: punctuation

Edited by AyG

Ok, my bad, I guess it was Herpes I read about from Macaques...

From the CDC

"MONKEYS

Macaques are native to Asia and North Africa. Additionally, descendants of North African populations of Barbary macaques inhabit Gibraltar, the only place that wild populations of macaques are found in Europe. They are also housed in research facilities, zoos, and wildlife or amusement parks and are kept as pets in private homes throughout the world. Monkey bites occasionally occur in certain urban sites, such as temples in Nepal or India.

Macaque bites can transmit herpes B virus, a virus related to the herpes simplex viruses that cause oral and genital ulcers. Herpes B infection is rare in humans. The virus was discovered in 1933, and since that time approximately 50 human cases have been reported, with an 80% case-fatality ratio. No cases of herpes B infection have been reported in people exposed to monkeys in the wild. Most documented cases have resulted from occupational exposures. However, travelers to areas where macaques range freely should be aware of the potential risk. A monkey infected with herpes B may appear completely healthy.

Documented routes of human infection with herpes B virus include animal bites and scratches, exposure to infected tissue or body fluids from splashes, and in one instance, human-to-human transmission. Even minor scratches or bites should be considered potential exposures, because, experimentally, herpes B virus has been isolated from surfaces for up to 2 weeks after it was applied. The incubation period ranges from <1 week to 1 month or longer. Neurologic symptoms develop as the virus infects the central nervous system and may lead to ascending paralysis and respiratory failure. Increased public and clinician awareness about the risks associated with an injury from a macaque, improved first aid after exposure, the availability of better diagnostic tests, and improved antiviral therapeutics have decreased the case-fatality ratio to 20% in treated people. As a result, from 1987 through 2004 only 5 infections were fatal.

Although only macaque bites pose a herpes B virus threat, any monkey bite may pose a threat for rabies."

OP - i was pawed and came into contact with those monkeys on monkey mountain as they tried to get to the contents of my bag a year or two ago, and was fine

i will carry one of those catapults with me next time i go there i think.

they also ran off with a bag of my crab claws once, but i gave chase and got them back (if they had only have asked i would have shared a few with them)

OP - i was pawed and came into contact with those monkeys on monkey mountain as they tried to get to the contents of my bag a year or two ago, and was fine

i will carry one of those catapults with me next time i go there i think.

they also ran off with a bag of my crab claws once, but i gave chase and got them back (if they had only have asked i would have shared a few with them)

How about a tazer? Would love one to scare off the marauding street dogs! :-)