What should I buy while in the USA

Mike45

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though you would need an electrical convertor, I would definitely purchase and bring a cordless impact driver (18volt),and make sure to pick up all the accessories that you use with it (nut drivers, drill bits, screwdriver bits). They are a real time saver, especially when you are building a house, or remodeling.

Buy some good masonry bits, I brought some with me about 8 or 10 years ago and they still working good, I believe the brand name is Boush or something like that. You'll be doing a lot of drilling in cement.

Get two sets. In case a worker gets sticky fingers.

Also a good wire stripper / cutter is handy.

And maybe a few high quality cross-tip (phillips) screw drivers.

I also use (and reused) blue / hard plastic screws (drywall type? with a wide thread). They're handy for hanging pictures, etc.

PS: garden hose nozzles

Edited by rijb

Oh good, you're taking orders.

If you do any work with drywall, you should pick up a box of screw-in anchors:

GddYz.jpg

They're far superior to those split type anchors available here. They're plastic, so lightweight and a box of a hundred isn't that big, so they travel well.

I'm down to my last half dozen and have not been able to find them here. I've also been unable to find concrete screws:

SA10.jpg

They go into concrete, brick and stone without the need for an anchor (pilot hole needed, of course). But a box of these might be a bit heavy.

Edited by attrayant

Velcro (hook and pile), self adhesive type. Haven't seen any here....but I would think it would be cheaper here :)

J-B weld epoxy.

Lithium grease

Steel toe boots

Maple syrup.

Electronic toothbrush (cybersonic/sonicare). Dental floss.

"We pick our teachers, and we get what we want..." -sent from Note 2 TV app.

I don't know what's compatible with Thailand's electrical, how much you can carry, or how you might get bit by customs.

I wouldn't leave the US without going to Walmart and buying a new laptop. Think $400 (13,000 baht) for a good one with genuine Windows 8, DVD recorder/player... Unpack it and carry it as used.

+1....Computers are cheaper in the USA and ALL come with windows.

If toss in luggage, you want small I assume. Lots of good suggestions, esp like extension cords. One thing very difficult to find is wax donuts for seating toilets. They just glue the suckers down and toss wax away, since takes awhile for toilet to 'drift". Ditto for anchor bolts. loctite super glue gel is handy. a small voltage converter can be used for charging and a coffee grinder is about 1/3 or less price here. Cheese slicer? I'll have to think about these... I know I will be bringing back a decent soldering iron, flux and solder. Stuff here is crap.

I would suggest a large roll of quality duct tape. I just bought a large roll myself at Lowe's and it will return to Thailand with me in two weeks. I also went to WALMART and bought a large box of Kellogg's Rice Krispies and Special K and General Mill's Cheerio's breakfast cereals. Also, 2 large containers of Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs for my pork chops. I also stocked up on prescription drugs that are not available in Thailand. Duct tape, groceries and medicines perhaps? biggrin.png

• Like 1

I would suggest a large roll of quality duct tape. I just bought a large roll myself at Lowe's and it will return to Thailand with me in two weeks. I also went to WALMART and bought a large box of Kellogg's Rice Krispies and Special K and General Mill's Cheerio's breakfast cereals. Also, 2 large containers of Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs for my pork chops. I also stocked up on prescription drugs that are not available in Thailand. Duct tape, groceries and medicines perhaps? biggrin.png

You just made me think of Captain Crunch Berry & Lucky Charms cereal. :))))) and OxyContin.....mmmmmm.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

easy outs! They are used to remove strippped screws and bolts. I've seen them here but they arn't readily avaiable. Also, a side of USDA choice or prime beef, or the whole yearling for that matter and some good hickory smoked bacon and ham! Sorry xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm baconnnnnnn

Please excuse my very long list.......

Case of Hot Taco sauce

Country Gravy Mix

Heinz relish

Cortisone 10 lotion

PVC saw rope style

Wal-Mart

Shower curtain mildew free

PEP BOYS

8 DELUXE DOOR GUARD, 6" STRIP, CLEAR $0.88

Wheel locks (metric) take sample bolt 12 X 1.5 Cone Seat Lock $35.00?

Bicycle tube glue – to prevent punctures or slow leaks

The Original California Car Duster $17.20

Radar detector

New Mexico Chili dried

Larger rubber bands

Band-aids regular and large

Antiseptic spray

Sugar substitute Splenda

Potato masher

Masa flour

Volt tester Amprobe DM73C

Arid deodorant XXX spray

Bicycle tube glue – to prevent punctures or slow leaks

Icy-Hot pain relief cream

2 or 3 110volt /220 volt transformers from Fry’s

Brass water faucet and couplers/ with threads for garden hose

Dip mix

Good Season’s salad dressing

Hatch New Mexico Red Chili Powder

electrical plugs M/F $3.98 Lowe's

Silvadine for burns

U.S. Flag $17.54 100 percent nylon Walmart

cotton clothesline : #10 7/32" Dia. x 200' $13.97 Sears

Fry Daddy Jr. 4- $24.88 C 4- Wal-Mart Cup 4-Cup up 1600 watt converter

220V adapt FRY's

egg poacher $19.39 Target

Magnetic hide a key box from Pep Boys

Enchilada Sauce

Jell-O pudding mix

Carroll Shelby’s Chili Mix

Pyrex Plastic/rubber spatula- no burn

Guacamole mix

Diamond Sharpining stone

Can opener

Lawn Stuff from Lowes Hardware

Pop Up water sprinklers / controller/ manifold

20 RainBird Sprinkler Item Number 23002, Model # LG3 $13.98

4 ½ sprinklers

4 ¼ sprinklers

19 LG-3/Mini-Paw ® Low Gallonage, Plastic Impact Head

10 inline valves model CP- 075

1 Rainbird 4 Station Sprinkler Timer $34.97
Item #: 28983
Model: ISA 304

1 Rain bird 6 station timer

Pvc adapters screw to non thread ¾ and ¾ thread to non thread ½ inch

20 ea. ½” 90 deg for use with each mini-paw

Rain bird wrench

spares kit for both sprinklers and in line valves

Glucosamine with Chondroitin

Buy some good masonry bits, I brought some with me about 8 or 10 years ago and they still working good, I believe the brand name is Boush or something like that. You'll be doing a lot of drilling in cement.

Yes! Bosch masonry drill bits. In fact bring a couple of sets of US brand name HSS drill bits as well since most of the locally branded stuff is total rubbish. Imported individual drill bits are available but expensive here and complete sets, if available, would probably need a bank loan.

Hacksaw blades are also crap in LOS so bring some packs of those.

If you are used to working imperial, bring measuring tapes from the US as most of them here are metric. A 'combo' imperial/metric one would be the best bet to help you convert.

If it were me I would bring the whole HD store. Everything they have is better than anything I can find here. This stuff here is nothing but garbage.

Bring me a gallon of Hydrochloric Acid. When I ask for it here I just get that dumb look from the children working in these stores here. Same I get at any pool supply places.

Duct Tape, Fabric Softener Sheets, & Tums.

I lived in Thailand for seven years & could get just about anything I needed except the above three.

You can find legitimate duct tape at Home Pro for about 1,500-2,000 baht per roll. A pack of six giant rolls cost less than $10 at Home Depot.

Having a clothes dryer, I looked everywhere from Udon Thani to Khon Kaen to Korat to Bangkok for fabric softener sheets; no luck. Met a farang at the embassy once who swore I could find them at a particular store in Bangkok, so I made a special trip there just for the purpose of buying some (nope, didn't have). Costco offers about the best price for Bounce sheets.

Tums in a big bottle. I only ever saw Tums in Thailand once: a Thai friend of mine had a bottle he acquired while on travel outside Thailand. Of course, you can get carbonated charcoal at any pharmacy in Thailand, & it works better than Tums IMO, though it takes a bit longer to absorb the nastiness that causes stomach aches.

I saw another poster mention keyed-alike locks. You can get these no problem at any of the big three Home Depot-like stores: Home Pro, Home Mart, & Global House. Additionally, I bought deadbolts for my entire house at Global House in Khon Kaen, & then took them to a local locksmith in Udon Thani who keyed them in sets for me (e.g., each doors' deadbolt keyed alike to its regular lock, etc.), as well as creating a couple of master keys for me.

As to voltage testers, be sure that if you buy them stateside, they are 220V 50 Hz. IMO, there's no need as you can get similar products in Thailand.

Concerning quality of tools, you get what you pay for. Home Pro offers various top-quality tools but at an import price that's beyond what you'll pay at Home Depot. What I did was buy a few select ones (e.g., titanium drill bits & a heavy-duty Bosch stapler) in the States thereby reducing the cost of my shipping them to Thailand.

Edited by SeabagsFull

I'd buy tools. Most of the tools sold here are made in China crap. The good stuff I've seen at True Value in Pattaya that are probably closest in quality to what you get in the US are priced twice as much as what you'd pay for them at Home Depot.

I also agree with the self locking gate lock if your gates are low like in the US because you can't find them here but Thai burglars would be perplexed at first on how to open the gate but once they figure it out would be very happy. If you have animals its difficult to find good doggy doors too.

The stuff you can get at Bed Bath and Beyond is also way nicer then what you can get here for the same price.

I really like the quality of brass fixtures in the US, be in door hinges, locks, faucets, door knobs, towel hangs, window locks etc. Seeing the price tag of a Baldwin door knob here makes you want to gouge your eyes out in disbelief.

You can by quality tools here at any major Home Pro / Global and Home Mart stores ( Not made in China ) Like : Bosh / DeWalt / Makita / Mactec / Hitatchi , ++++ And the prices are cheap , at least compared to Europe . Have been using all of those branches in terms of wood and iron work. :)

• Like 1

My tee rak has a glass sliding door for her front door and the screen for that has wheels on the bottom that have gone bad. I spent hours trying to find new wheels that I know I have seen in various sizes at Home Depot. Tried to get some at Home Pro and a few other places and was ultimately told that not only would I have to order a whole new screen but a whole new sliding door! It took lots of extra time to find the only employee who spoke enough English to get my point across - I will definitely be learning Thai if I go back to retire in LOS. In the mean time I look forward to helping waan jai learn the ropes in the USA as she will be coming here soon.

As far as electrical breakers go - 220 breakers will work fine in LOS. The frequency (50 Hz as opposed to 60 Hz) will not be an issue. Remember amps x Volts = Watts. so if you add up the watts of your loads and divide by the local voltage that will tell you how many amps to plan for (you should have a breaker rated 10% higher than your plan) and remember to use appropriate size wire. Your only issue will be to make sure the breakers you buy in USA will fit the box you have in LOS.

I don't have time to read through all the replies to see if this was mentioned or not, but....

Unless you want your toilets concreted into the floor/tile, bring some closet flanges (4" ABS), with the bolting hardware and some extra wax rings. And real outside faucets with garden hose connectors (screw type) Lots of hose here, no prob, just something to use with a pressure nozzle that will keep it from blowing off the faucet. Happy shopping....pg