How Safe is CM Street Vendor Food, MSG, 'Refined' Sugar, Formaldehyde?

ThaiHerbs

From The Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM):

1. The inhalation of formaldehyde gas in even small quantities is followed by bronchitis and pneumonia. Pneumonia is due to the inhalation of the gas and not to secondary infection.

2. Formalin belongs to that rare group of poisons which are capable of producing death suddenly when swallowed.

3. ...16

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe you all fall for the MSG myth. Do some research guys and girls.

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/

Wow!! You believe what you read in that article??

Yes, I do and most of the SCIENTIFIC research backs it up. I will take the word of the Mayo clinic long before some loony website.

Researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG. http://www.mayoclinic.org/monosodium-glutamate/expert-answers/faq-20058196

Msg is definitely one of those "in moderation" products. I don't mind it, it is like weak salt to my taste buds. But if I put a spoonful of salt on my food every time I ate it, it would probably give me a headache too.

• 1 month later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, you're correct to say that refined sugar DOES cause sugar spikes and insulin release, and for people with metabolic disorders such as diabetes this can cause problems.

Unrefined sugar, maple syrup and honey does the same thing to people with diabetes. There is very little difference.

Next time you run a 10K or longer road race, try eating a few snickers bars just before the race and see how it affects your time.

Not spending half my 72 year old life looking for foods that are good for me or not good for me. I am curious as to what the affect of two snicker bars before a 10 kilometer run would be. I had thought that they would help but on the other hand maybe the time frame they will lose there energy and tire you.

What would the affect be if you don't mind my asking?

Don't want to get into the sugar debate as I do have diabetes and the occasional snickers bar or chocolate or cookie with sugar and they are no big deal with the use of cinnamon my Blood Sugar level is in the OK range.

Edited by northernjohn

1. I must be blessed been eating street vender food for 4 years now . Only been sick once and it was from old cooking oil . Maybe Im just lucky ..... One thing I do is check out the stall before I buy. If it doesn't look clean I move past ... I also look to see if they are keeping there meat refrigerated or on ice ...

• 6 months later...

Yes, you're correct to say that refined sugar DOES cause sugar spikes and insulin release, and for people with metabolic disorders such as diabetes this can cause problems.

Unrefined sugar, maple syrup and honey does the same thing to people with diabetes. There is very little difference.

Next time you run a 10K or longer road race, try eating a few snickers bars just before the race and see how it affects your time.

Yes UG please do not ignore this request and do be sure to let us know how it affects your time.

Oh maybe that is not possible if you do not have a few prior times to compare it to?

Frankly, I have never run a 10k and have no intention to but would be interested in hearing if you have in the past 15 years. Please do share.

Yes UG please do not ignore this request and do be sure to let us know how it affects your time.

Oh maybe that is not possible if you do not have a few prior times to compare it to?

Frankly, I have never run a 10k and have no intention to but would be interested in hearing if you have in the past 15 years. Please do share.

Not since I've lived in Thailand, but I was a daily runner before then and Snickers bars would not have affected me any differently than unrefined sugar, maple syrup or honey. Sugar is sugar.

• Like 1

Any good restaurants veg/vegan in the Chang Phuak area specifically near Thanin market?

Going north from Thanin market, there's a very good vegetarian restaurant on the left side on the last soi before the superhighway intersection. If you miss it, you can turn left, go into the CM ED computer plaza, go through the parking lot and out onto the soi in the rear, turn left and you've got a second chance.

http://goo.gl/maps/HmyZu

• Like 1

Hypochondria?

Ever think its not the food and just the way its handled... dirty dishes, dirty tools etc...

I would really like to know if much is taught about hygiene in schools, TV adverts or other...

I recently told my missus to lick the washcloth... of course she said "no way"... and I said... but sweetheart, you wash the dishes with it, so it must be clean... yes?

Next time... look at the kitchens and the washing process... I was unfortunate enough to enter an Indian Restaurant Kitchen in Pattaya (popular one) and was totally shocked at what I saw....

Perhaps blaming the food is looking in the wrong direction

A good rule of thumb is how clean are there bathrooms. Of course if eating of a cart you will be able to watch what they put in. Unless it is an already prepared stock. As for MSG I have heard that they are beginning to retract the harmful statement. It was always my understanding that it only adversely affected 1/3 of the population. Now they are starting to find benefits for it. Remember the history of Coffee.

At any rate when they tell you some thing is bad for them do not automatically assume it is bad for you.