Control of mossies etc and fish farming basic style - can folk advise please?

cliveshep

Hi everyone. Here you will find the absolute epitome of total ignorance displayed so please be a little bit kind?

Firstly - mosquito control - my wife says that many people in Thailand die each year from mossie bites, by which i assume she means they die of malaria? Not wanting membership of that unhappy club for my family or myself can I ask what controls folk on here living out in the provinces have in place?

When I was in the Philippines the local Purok officers had a lad out with a pump-up back pack walking all over all day spraying insecticide over bushes etc to keep them down. Is something similar or more effective practised in Thailand? It won't destroy all of them of course but it would keep local numbers down. I assume mesh and Byegone in the house are de rigeur?

What about scorpions - she asserts that in Uttarradit they had scorpions - presumably they would be susceptible to insecticide spraying over a wider area? We are taking a pedigree dog, a much loved pet, out with us and it will have no natural instincts to shy away from those or snakes.

Also - in the Philippines they fish-farm very basically and we were considering trying that perhaps. There they dig a large hole using the spoil to create an embankment, and then pumped river water into it. We never saw any form of liner there and presumably the water table might have been the water level more or less? They put baby fish in the ponds to grow from fingerlings to full-size moving the lot from one pond to another as they grew. We never saw any kit to aerate the water. They fed them of course, but the ponds were so muddy you couldn't see anything at all yet when we visited one such place the ponds - they had 3 - were teaming with Tilapia fish at different stages of growth. We watched two or three lads wading across the pond towing a net to force the fish to one corner where others scooped them out with laundry baskets into tubs.

So my question would be from those experienced in such matters - can it work the same way as it appeared to work in the Philippines? My wife's father, now deceased, farmed like this some 20 years ago but she was only 10 and cannot remember much of the details. She does say the chickens lived over the top but knows nothing about pumps or aerators etc. Can it work on a basic level for a family? Thanks for the interest.

Well, I just got a bit educated from you. I did google mosquito control and came upon this site that offers an amazing answer and one that we can easily take up. Probably most on here know all of this but here's the link (is that allowed?) in case not. http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/pest-patrol-zmaz09jjzraw.aspx?PageId=1

The testimonies from folk about the benefits of ducks and chickens are remarkable. What's more - not an ounce of insecticide used!

I have no idea quite how that might work in Thailand but someone is bound to know.

Stop right now if you go any further ---- you wont get educated on this forum get reading on the net best way me thinks you

sound so off the mark (no disrespect) but good luck

Not correct, there are a number of TV members who have fish farms in Thailand. Mods how about moving to the farming forum?

OP: In the meantime use the search function e.g. a list of hits at...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=fc7efc8d3bf398369b5f520f2869bd1e&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fish%20farm

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Well, I just got a bit educated from you. I did google mosquito control and came upon this site that offers an amazing answer and one that we can easily take up. Probably most on here know all of this but here's the link (is that allowed?) in case not. http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/pest-patrol-zmaz09jjzraw.aspx?PageId=1

The testimonies from folk about the benefits of ducks and chickens are remarkable. What's more - not an ounce of insecticide used!

I have no idea quite how that might work in Thailand but someone is bound to know.

Take one of those cute western yard birds. Feed 'em steroids for a year, make 'em do a thousand pushups a day and pluck out about half their feathers. Then put them on crystal meth for a few weeks and give them an attitude problem and you'll have a Thai chicken.

Which has nothing to do with fish farming or mosquitoes. Best of luck whatever you decide.

10_12_Notebook01.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

They are only dangerous if you are bitten especially by all three at once. MMMmm the mind boggles

Especially when all three are being chased by a crocodile. I hate it when that happens when you're having a Sunday morning lie in.

crocodile_under_bed_04-741020.jpg

• Like 2

If I understand correctly, there's nothing much to worry about from the scorpions - although it is a lot worse than a bee sting.

Your dogs will probably bark at any snakes they see, and if a cobra does bite, it would be a problem. Our dog was bitten last year, when a large cobra reared up in front of the missus. Unconcious in 10 minutes, but managed to get to a vet for anti-venom, so OK in the end, but still over 10,000 bt vets fees. It is more usual that they get spat at by the snakes, and then they need eye-drops, and the dogs still don't learn. We live on a pretty remote farm, but really anywhere other than a condo there will be a risk of snakes.

As for the mossie's, most places spray a couple of times a year, but you still need to avoid standing water (put small fish in any open water), and try to avoid being bitten at dawn and dusk. A healthy Thai diet with lots of chilli and garlic does seem to repel them a little more - at least I get less bothered than friends who stick to a more western diet. Malaria is around in some areas, but dengue and Japanese Encephalitus are probably more serious concerns in more out of the way areas.

As to farming fish - don't try to do it commercially unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Just keep a few for the kitchen, or to while away a few hours, as per Isaac Walton.

• Like 1

There are quite a few threads in the farming forum about fish farming. Some of them are long running- almost diaries- which are fascinating even though I'm not in the biz.

Here's a couple of threads to start (chosen because they were on top of the page and I'm lazy, not any meaningful priority):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624074-fish-farming-when-it-goes-belly-up/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/536875-fish-and-shrimp-farm/

Mozzies: Your main concern would be dengue and even worse dengue hemorrhagic fever BUT if you take precautions to ensure there are no sources of still brackish water like leftover water in unused pots or clogged drains your risks are minimized. That also includes home protection. I like to install automatic door swings and keep doorways clear of bushy plants with pots.

Malaria though not as endemic to Thailand as it was in the past can still be found around the provinces bordering with our neighbors and deep forests. I found out the hard way while volunteering at a refugee camp 20 years ago. It is a developing country problem and you might see increased cases of malaria, bubonic plague and leprosy with ASEAN economic cooperation.

Scorpions: Rarely lethal to man. Known lethal species are in the deserts of northern Africa and the Middle East.

Snakes: Cobras are everywhere is Thailand but more predominant in swampy areas. I try to keep to lighted paved walkways and if you must linger into grass or under your house (if raised) try to declare your presence by walking heavy footed or with a banging stick to warn them. Be wary when lifting something up like a pot, lid etc. as snakes are often hiding beneath. Also when closing windows snakes like to rest on them though usually the harmless green snake. Watch out for those green snakes with brown tail tips as they look similar but are venomous. Kraits are pretty nasty but they tend to only come out at night but I've come into contact with them from time to time. They're the brown ones with stripes. Pythons love deserted houses and basements so be aware if you live next to an unoccupied house. I once saw a python wrap itself around a monitor lizard. Amazing.

Edited by smileydude

I don't think there's malaria in Thailand. But I got dengue fever from mosquitoes last year. Knocked me out for two weeks and I know it can be fatal.

Same here. I have lived in the sticks near Chonburi without a problem. Went to Pattaya for the day on Christmas Eve 3 years ago and got bitten by a dengue mossie. They are different so they know if in the area or not, unfortunately they are in the Satahip area so its only a short bus journey up to Pattaya.

My wife has a friend near Chantaburi and he farms prawns and fish, hard work and little profit. He has done much better with mushrooms.

I don't think there's malaria in Thailand. But I got dengue fever from mosquitoes last year. Knocked me out for two weeks and I know it can be fatal.

Same here. I have lived in the sticks near Chonburi without a problem. Went to Pattaya for the day on Christmas Eve 3 years ago and got bitten by a dengue mossie. They are different so they know if in the area or not, unfortunately they are in the Satahip area so its only a short bus journey up to Pattaya.

My wife has a friend near Chantaburi and he farms prawns and fish, hard work and little profit. He has done much better with mushrooms.

There is Malaria in Thailand. One of our friends died after being sick for 3 days. The virus infected his brain. The Malaria mozzies are night time active. The Dengue Fever ones are day time active. Common name for them is The Tiger Mosquito. Quite large and stripes on legs and wings. They like to be around residential buildings. Good idea to spray under your bed and other furniture at bed time. Don't have any standing water around unless you have any fish in.

I used to have problems like are being discussed here then I put up a sign on my gate ATTACK SHIH TSU and things have been peaceful ever since. As for fish farming - I had an acquarium once. Considering the time it took to keep it clean I'm trying to imagine what it would be like multiplying that by what, couple thousand times.

'... by which i assume she means they die of malaria?' More likely dengue, which does certainly have its share of fatalities. Nasty and 'flu-like, multiplied by a power of 3+, though if you get through it - and most do - you might be in for another, and worse, bout some years down the line; after which, so a doctor told me, you are almost certainly immune. And they do spray, though I'm far from sure how often.

I've never seen a scorpion here - here being Bangkok - though I believe they are around Thailand. But then they have at least one colony of those in the UK, in Sheerness. And I've rarely seen snakes, though green Tree Snakes - I think - do inhabit the parks, I have all but tripped over one in Pattaya - fortunately my son, then a toddler, was way behind me - and one somehow reached the balcony of our then 3rd floor apartment in Sukhumvit, killing one of two caged pet gerbils. I imagine there will be a few in the countryside: see http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_non-poisonous.html

Farming? Sorry, can't help with that.

They are only dangerous if you are bitten especially by all three at once. MMMmm the mind boggles

Especially when all three are being chased by a crocodile. I hate it when that happens when you're having a Sunday morning lie in.

crocodile_under_bed_04-741020.jpg

No problems of this, as there are no Aligators here

I have worked in PNG and Kenya where malaria is fairly prevalent. The consensus was that "fogging" was all but useless and surface sprays and personal repellents were the answer. I never contracted malaria despite having spent years in both countries but I know people that did, nasty stuff... The biggest risk was the right sort of mozzie biting one of the locals (who had all just about had it) and passing it to you. They like dark coloured surfaces and hide under things. Keeping down the little pools of water (pot plants, old tyres etc.) will definitely help stop reproduction. Despite the environmental issues a bit of diesel on the top of water will work good too, it floats to the surface and the mozzies can't lay their eggs in it. I think dengue fever is a bigger risk here than malaria though but the preventative steps are the same.

British and Brazilian scientist are conducting tests on GM male mozzies. Female mozzies apparently only mate once. So they tried a release thousands into a small area out stripping the suspected number of natural males These matings produce eggs, but the larva self destruct before it matures. Tests have shown a 75% reduction in cases of malaria where the tests were carried out.