Rabbit meat: are there any restaurants or markets offering fresh?

anselpixel

I like rabbit, especially some recipes whereby it is cooked with prunes or in beer.

However, after eight years, I have yet to see it here. Even Villa stores in BKK don't appear to have it. As I recall, I asked a Thai friend last year re. whether Thais eat it. I am sure that he said no.

I'm not sure whether rabbit is even a native animal here. Presumably, rabbits could be farmed. My guess is that the frozen ones are imported from China?

Eddy

I like rabbit, especially some recipes whereby it is cooked with prunes or in beer.

However, after eight years, I have yet to see it here. Even Villa stores in BKK don't appear to have it. As I recall, I asked a Thai friend last year re. whether Thais eat it. I am sure that he said no.

I'm not sure whether rabbit is even a native animal here. Presumably, rabbits could be farmed. My guess is that the frozen ones are imported from China?

Eddy

Yes theyre native, Hares also.

We have two as pets. The wife was quite supprised when I asked if we could eat them when they got bigger.

She had never heard of eating rabbits. It seems rats, frogs, insects etc are ok to eat, but rabbits are just pets tongue.png

post-9937-0-83324500-1393659655_thumb.jp

post-9937-0-49222900-1393659667_thumb.jp

Edited by Windy
  • Like 1

There is a Rabbit breeder in San Sai who, as another poster has said, sells Rabbits for food. there is also a restaurant on the 118 near the Biker Farm Harley shop that sells meals made with Rabbit. We purchased some Rabbits to breed for food a couple of years ago but still have the original seven as the cats have managed to kill every one of the babies

There is a Rabbit breeder in San Sai who, as another poster has said, sells Rabbits for food. there is also a restaurant on the 118 near the Biker Farm Harley shop that sells meals made with Rabbit. We purchased some Rabbits to breed for food a couple of years ago but still have the original seven as the cats have managed to kill every one of the babies

Same same. GPS 18.8351376682, 99.0606472528.

post-157194-0-22790500-1393676242_thumb.

• Like 1

We have two as pets. The wife was quite supprised when I asked if we could eat them when they got bigger.

She had never heard of eating rabbits. It seems rats, frogs, insects etc are ok to eat, but rabbits are just pets tongue.png

attachicon.gifRabbits.jpg

attachicon.gifRabbits1.jpg

An ex-girlfriend literally cried when she heard about the succulent rabbits served at authentic Trattoria in the countryside in the North of Italy..

Just too cute to eat.

We looked at the pet shop rabbits, and I wouldn't consider paying the prices they're asking. 600-1500 baht for a plain to fancy critter isn't in the plan.

Ideally, a meal at a restaurant would be the best solution.

Thanks to all, and I'll try the place mentioned above. The GPS coordinates are much appreciated.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah me too with a 12 gauge. Was a jack rabbit.

My father raised rabbits to eat. I remember as a teen my chores were to feed them as well as doing all the butchering. The thought of holding them by the hind legs and bashing their little heads in with a 2x4 will always be with me. I could skin and gut a rabbit in just a few minutes.

With raising rabbits, chickens, duck, and geese as well as being a taxidermist and an avid hunter/fisherman I don't think we bought any meat in a grocery store ever.

Wild game, prepared properly, is the best ever!!!

Just now, dingdongrb said:

My father raised rabbits to eat. I remember as a teen my chores were to feed them as well as doing all the butchering. The thought of holding them by the hind legs and bashing their little heads in with a 2x4 will always be with me. I could skin and gut a rabbit in just a few minutes.

With raising rabbits, chickens, duck, and geese as well as being a taxidermist and an avid hunter/fisherman I don't think we bought any meat in a grocery store ever.

Let me add: We always had a huge garden and did a lot of canning so I think any groceries that were bought didn't impact any of the income.

Wild berry and mushroom hunting was always a fun venture with good outdoor exercise....  ????

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I am always a believer in your should be able to kill gut and cook your own if situation arises or if have to. I have done my share even here in Thailand. 

On 3/1/2014 at 12:13 AM, Windy said:

post-9937-0-83324500-1393659655_thumb.jp

post-9937-0-49222900-1393659667_thumb.jp

I cried for hours to hear someone cook rabbit.????