Just Got Myself A Prerunner

When I arrived home on holday, my wife already took delivery of our new car. Here is the full title “Toyota Hilux Vigo E 3.0 D4D Turbo Diesel Intercooler PreRunner” Quite the mouth full but the car deserves it. It only had on about 200 km and still has that new car smell. I love it.

post-8246-1148986635_thumb.jpg

The car is a twin cab pickup (as you can see by the pictures) on a raised suspension like a 4x4 but it is a 2WD. This gives me the advantage of high ground clearance for some of the roads we have to travel without the extra weight and power drain of a 4x4. This equals better fuel economy – something very important to take into consideration these days. It also has manual transmission, which I prefer to an automatic.

I spent a good deal of time looking it over. I was a member of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists and had some experience in these matters. And there are few things I like more than to rip into a car and start tearing it apart. That sounds terrible but when you have to judge a vehicle for the Car-of-the-Year title like I did on three occasions, that is exactly what is necessary. I crawled under it, over it and through it with the determination to find something wrong like a sergeant major inspecting his troops. The paint job is flawless, the fit of body panels are precise, and the suspension is truck-like but neatly finished. The interior fittings and finish are excellent and the engine compartment is well laid out with everything within easy reach. No sloppy work here like I’ve seen on other vehicles before. I am very impressed.

Read more about it on my BLOG.

Congratulations, Lauren. Just the car I am craving, except I prefer black. The added height and the 4 doors, in my opinion, gives the Prerunner a stylish edge over the 4-door standard Vigo model and even the 2-door 4x4 model. I had a 4 wheel drive Toyota 5 years ago and loved it, especially the added height with its view over most vehicles as it warns of traffic problems ahead. The Prerunner is to me, too, the best of most auto worlds, especiallly now given the added costs of fuel. Thanks for keeping tabs in your blog on kms/liter: I hope you continue to post monthly updates to see if there's a difference once the engine is worn in a bit. What was the cost, how long did it take for delivery, and were there any 'freebies' offered? I now drive a 2-wh drive 2-door Isuzu Hi-Liner with the added height of the 4x4. While impressed with Isuzu, I still covet the Prerunner yet Toyota still needs to get its act together to offer an air bag for the passenger, usually the wife, who incidentally is often the final word on buying your vehicle.

Toyota still needs to get its act together to offer an air bag for the passenger, usually the wife, who incidentally is often the final word on buying your vehicle.

:o I thought my wife was the airbag. Sorry about that.

First things first: Yep, its a pickup and I intend to use it for that purpose. A scratch or a dint here or there is inevitable. I just don't know how the wife will handel it!

I will continue to keep tabs on fuel economy figures but at the moment the car is under covers in the garage as I'm out of country for work. At least I have it taken care of until I get back in August.

The cost of it depends on several factors such as term payments but the sugested retail is 738,000 Baht. Add to that licensing, registration and insurance. I had to pay a 5000 Baht deposit to get my name on a waiting list in Jauary and the car was delivered at the beginning of May.

Freebies included a 3000 Baht voucher that could be used for all kinds of accesories. I chose a liner for the back, outside mirror covers with indicator lights and rubber mats for the inside. About a week after delivery, I got another voucher in the mail for 5000 Baht to say thanks for waiting so long. This could be spent on anything from service to spares or accesories. And this time I chose (mock) wooden panels and gearshift knob for the interior and chrome backing plates for the door handles. It lends a bit of posh.

I have to second his thoughts about the Prerunner. I have had mine since February (took 2 months, but I ordered it from a Bangkok dealer). It has been a fantastic car to drive.

The stearing is amazingly responsive, and the full economy has been excellent for a truck this size -(11-13 kpl, depending on my driving).

I was able to get quite a few more extra's out of the dealer, however. I think that you might be about too also, if you bargain harder. I can' say enough for the dealer chain Thonburi Toyota. They were very professional and knowledgable. Not just a bunch of pretty girls.

Word of warning. I had my truck parked at Central Pinklao on friday, and someone decided the would pry off my plastic "Intercooler" emblem, as well as one of the "3.0 D4D" emblems on the side. The didn't seem to scratch the paint, but I am leaving right now to have them replaced, which cost 1,100 baht. Aparently, people like to take these and attach them to their lower model Vigos. Makes them feel special.

Ill attach a picture later today.

Peace

post-24265-1149146520_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbowman1993

I keep hearing all about the "NEW" generation diesels. My "OLD" generation 2004 Nissan 3.0 liter non-turbo averaged 15 kilometers per liter last week from Loei to Jomtien and back. The best I ever get from my Toyota 3.0 liter non-turbo was 10.6. The Nissan is an Extra cab 2 wheel drive and the 2002 Toyota is a 4 door 4 wheel drive. It appears that the new generation diesels are all hype and get no better fuel economy than the old ones. Ford is touting the 2007 NEW 2.5 liter turbo diesel at 25 percent better economy than the existing 2.5 turbo. I wonder if that is that hype too?

If you would care to make a little wager and take a ride with me from Loei to Jomtien we could determine if the number is suspicious or not. Since I check fuel economy each trip and since I have made that same trip many times I'm absolutely sure of my numbers.

Your Nissan numbers are a bit suspicious.

In reply to some questions I received:

I looked around quite a bit before I decided on the Toyota and eventually decided on it because of the build quality and value for money. They are built in Thailand according to standards adopted in at least three other countries (South Africa, Malaysia, Japan). That gives Toyota the advantage of standardizing on parts and build methods so lowering their production costs. This they then pass on to their customers. (I don’t even work for Toyota!)

Other available Japanese vehicles compare well as far a value for money goes but when you look closer at build quality, interior space, maintenance and spare parts availability and cost, Toyota far out performs the competition.

One of my favorite tests is to look inside the engine compartment and judge how easy it would be to replace an oil filter. Try it. Some vehicles needs special tools for the job, others need to be hoisted and others still, need a dealer to do the job for you. On the Toyota (and the PreRunner in particular), all I need is an oil filter clamp and the job will be done in about ten minutes.

There are many types of SUV’s available. Even Jeeps. But the problem comes when you have to maintain them. They either have to go to a dealer in a big city or you take your chances with the locals. Overall, I would say, look at Japanese vehicles in Thailand. They are reasonably priced and economically maintained. In Thailand, popular models include Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Nissan. Kia, Hyundai and Honda are not popular in the parts where I live (North-Eastern Thailand) but they are available. But I can just imagine that it would cost more to maintain these.

As far as 4x4 goes, I have never had the need for such a vehicle and travel a good deal on muddy roads. To my mind, a 4x4 is only ever necessary if you want to go off the beaten track and in Thailand there are not to many of those places left that are not under protection. The only time I ever had to use a 4x4 vehicle was when I traveled through central Africa where no roads existed. Even on thick sand, a 2WD vehicle can cope very well when you use the right driving technique and deflate the tires as I have done on many occasions in Botswana and Mozambique.

The PreRunner only comes with a manual gearbox but the Fortuner does have an automatic option. Both only comes with intercooled turbo diesel engines and for me, the performance is plenty enough. ABS is standard on both.

Good used vehicles are available everywhere. Unfortunately it happens that some people buy these and then find that they cannot keep up with the payments. Especially in Isaan. Have a good look around. My previous vehicle was a (?2004) Nissan 1.6 NV pickup. It had low mileage and was in a reasonable condition too. I bought it for 120,000 Baht and did many trouble free miles. And to just give you an idea of what it cost to maintain at the dealer, a complete set of new water hoses came to 4200 Baht including labor.

In conclusion, to me the main factor to consider when I buy a new vehicle is what it will cost to keep it on the road.

Hi All

Never had a 4x4 pick up before myself but last year i bought a 3.0 D4D vigo in Ubon and loved it. Don't get to use it much when working back in Uk its locked up most the time but when you do get chance to take it out the city on a bit of rough its great fun. If I had to moan about anything it would be the 4 wheel drive when on full lock which feels very stiff and does not feel quite right but generally they are a good all round bit of kit. Diesel costs about B1,400/tank which would last me a week or two depending on how many kms covered. Not too bad when on holiday compared to UK fuel prices (my costs back in Uk is easily £50-60/week in petrol in a 2.0L vauxhaul) but can easily understand why locals have an issue over rising fuel costs. I would recommend the vigo to anyone thinking of purchasing one. However, if you leave one standing for any great length of time make sure it is started every few days cause the mice eat the heat reflective matting under the hood. Had to replace one myself in Feb' at the local dealership as the mice had used it as a nest. Luckily they had not eated or nested anywhere else in the car but moving the car in/out your garage and starting it often is VERY important unless your are in bangkok with no mice around of cause.

Jay

Edited by jay-uk

If you would care to make a little wager and take a ride with me from Loei to Jomtien we could determine if the number is suspicious or not. Since I check fuel economy each trip and since I have made that same trip many times I'm absolutely sure of my numbers.

Could you please explain then how a 3l engine in a 1.5 ton truck gives you lower mileage than, say 1.5l engine in 1 ton Jazz or Soluna, even if run on gasoline.

There must be an explanation to it.

Hi All

Here is a photo from our last trip to North East Thailand "Pae Team Natonal Park" which is a fantastic place to visit with sand stone formation dating back millions of years. Well worth a visit and great road for anyone with a 4x4 or standard pick if you want to venture out of the city. This place is only 30-40 mins from Ubon city.

Jay

For a start diesel engines are approximately 30 percent more efficient than gasoline engines. A standard transmission adds to the efficiency. At highway speeds a little bigger higher torque engine doesn't have to work so hard. It also depends how you drive. At 100 KMH plus the economy drops to about 13.5 kilometers per liter. Staying at 85 to 90 jumps it up to 15. In fact the last trip down the weather was nice and cool so the air conditioner was off. The first tank got 15.46. Coming back with the air con on and driving a little faster I got 14.65.

Could you please explain then how a 3l engine in a 1.5 ton truck gives you lower mileage than, say 1.5l engine in 1 ton Jazz or Soluna, even if run on gasoline.

There must be an explanation to it.

The first tank got 15.46

How did you even get this exact number?

I'm not questioning your personal integrity, just 15 km/l is a very high number. It's not just 30% more efficient, it's 30% over the gasoline engines HALF its size, and 50% over its Japanese diesel rivals of the same age and size, and over it's smaller successor, too!

It gets about 35 mpg from 3l, compare this to the best diesel engine (and third overall) for 2001, VW Tdi - 49 mpg from 1.9l. If VW had the same size it would be as thirsty as your Nissan.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/47000/article.html

It's just doesn't check out. Absolutely forgettable in any respect truck hiding one of the most fuel efficient engines of its time under its hood, and no one knows about it but you.

Edited by Plus

How do I get that exact number? I fill the tank and drive until it is nearly empty. I divide the number of liters to refill the tank into the number of kilometers driven and that gives you a number out to as many decimal places as the calculator has. The last I knew Nissan was a Japanese diesel. If more people would closely check their fuel economy they would come up with similar figures. I'm sure I don't have a one of a kind.

If you are interested and care to spend a little time surfing you will find that many European diesel cars are getting the equivalent of 50 plus miles per gallon. Alfa Romeos best selling model is getting 60 miles per gallon or 25.5 kilometers per liter from a 1.9 liter diesel.

The first tank got 15.46

How did you even get this exact number?

I'm not questioning your personal integrity, just 15 km/l is a very high number. It's not just 30% more efficient, it's 30% over the gasoline engines HALF its size, and 50% over its Japanese diesel rivals of the same age and size, and over it's smaller successor, too!

It gets about 35 mpg from 3l, compare this to the best diesel engine (and third overall) for 2001, VW Tdi - 49 mpg from 1.9l. If VW had the same size it would be as thirsty as your Nissan.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/47000/article.html

It's just doesn't check out. Absolutely forgettable in any respect truck hiding one of the most fuel efficient engines of its time under its hood, and no one knows about it but you.

I'm sure I don't have a one of a kind.

I'm struggling to get 11km/l with 2.5l Toyota D4D previous generation engine in the city. I use the same method of calculating. That makes your bigger engine 50% more efficient.

European diesels are far more advanced than Japanese. The latest offer in Thailand, Volvo's D5, gets 184 hps from 2.4l - more power than current leader Mitsubishi from 3.2 l, and more torque than newest Ford.

And so I compared six year old VW with your six year old Nissan. If VW increased engine dispacement by 50% (from 1.9 to 3) I expect the fuel consumption drop by about 50% as well - from 49 to 35 mpg, or 15 km/l, as you claim.

15kms/litre ???

sounds impossible. either your odometer is inaccurate , you have non standard tyres and wheels or they are not filling to the brim each time you top up. the pumps can stop pumping 3 litres short and you need to "drip feed " the last few litres. pump jockeys normally fill to a round figure and dont do the "drip feed " bit.

but if you are really getting those figures then well done , you must have a good driving style.

i have a 3.0 turbo diesel vigo , its auto and 4wd , the best i can get on a long highway run at just over 2000rpm for most of the way is 11.5km/l.

around town that goes down to 9km/l , if 4wd is engaged for any length of time it gets even thirstier.

The Nissan is a 2004 and the Toyota is a 2002. It is 660 kilometers from Nong Hin to Jomtien for both the Toyota and the Nissan. The odometer readings are nearly the same. I agree that some may not get the tank totally topped off that's why I always check both ways. I think I could get 11 or even a little better with the Toyota if I really watched how I was driving. Both engines are 3.0 liter NON turbocharged. Since I own both vehicles I like to think I am impartial. The Toyota is a four door four wheel drive and the Nissan is a two door extra cab. The Nissan has 30,000 kilometers on the clock and the Toyota has 130,000. The Nissan has noticeably more power and the power band seems a lot wider than the Toyota. City driving also takes a lot more fuel than highway driving so comparisons for highway and city driving are not a good indication of efficiency for me. Since I live in the country I am not caught in heavy traffic. The original purpose of the post was to try to find the most efficient four wheel drive available. Post that say I get really good mileage or I get 500 kilometers per tank do not tell me much. I did talk a friend of mine into checking his new Toyota four wheel drive on a trip up here. He got about 8.5. That told me nothing either since he drives with his foot flat on the floor. He told me that the new Toyota cruises at 140 KPH easily. The only notable thing he told me is that he nearly rear ended another vehicle and that the ABS worked great. :o

15kms/litre ???

sounds impossible. either your odometer is inaccurate , you have non standard tyres and wheels or they are not filling to the brim each time you top up. the pumps can stop pumping 3 litres short and you need to "drip feed " the last few litres. pump jockeys normally fill to a round figure and dont do the "drip feed " bit.

but if you are really getting those figures then well done , you must have a good driving style.

i have a 3.0 turbo diesel vigo , its auto and 4wd , the best i can get on a long highway run at just over 2000rpm for most of the way is 11.5km/l.

around town that goes down to 9km/l , if 4wd is engaged for any length of time it gets even thirstier.

Sorry :D Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'd like to replace the Toyota and wanted to know if the new generation engine was more econonomical.

The original purpose of the post was to try to find the most efficient four wheel drive available.

My original post merely indicated how happy I was to have a Vigo :o

The original purpose of the post was to try to find the most efficient four wheel drive available.

Well it is a Vigo...but we called it a Bakkie and hopefully you make a Braai on the back with lot of Boerewors with mrs balls Chutney and chicken peri peri ... missing only the Castle lager,Black Label or Hansa (my favorite before) and a good rugby game ....at kings park....sometimes i miss that.

enjoy the bakkie - my Bakkie is a Mitsu....and i am happy with it too

rcm :D

Well it is a Vigo...but we called it a Bakkie and hopefully you make a Braai on the back with lot of Boerewors with mrs balls Chutney and chicken peri peri ... missing only the Castle lager,Black Label or Hansa (my favorite before) and a good rugby game ....at kings park....sometimes i miss that.

That brought a tear to my eye. Braaivleis, rugby, sunny skies and Chevro...Toyota. You forgot the biltong and the naartjies. And a big pot of krummel pap. Where you from? Where you now? :D

My original post merely indicated how happy I was to have a Vigo :D

That brought a tear to my eye. Braaivleis, rugby, sunny skies and Chevro...Toyota. You forgot the biltong and the naartjies. And a big pot of krummel pap. Where you from? Where you now? :D

ahh yes the Biltong is great too, ... Biltong, Beer and a three 3 days Test Cricket....in a Bar--- you sit there drink Beer , later wiskey and eat Biltong or a Curry (SA Style) for 3 days in the end it is a draw ...the only winner is the Bar Man. :o But i enjoyed those days too. :D

Originally i am Austrian , was home based and worked in Durbs, later went to work in various Countries and various Cruise Vessels.

Now i am in Nakhon Sawan.....very different environment . But i love it .

Cheers,

Interesting discussion on fuel consumption, i worked out that 15km/l, is about 41 mpg, which on a run in a turbo diesel is about right. And 11 km/l is about 31 mpg, did i read correctly in that this figure was about town/city driving.

I have driven for a living(as self employed) and currently use and drive emergency service vehicles as a member of EMS.

I think it is easily obtainable on a long run to get 40+mpg and nearer 30mpg around town, the obtained fuel consumption also depends greatly of driver input and how aggressive the driver is, and if the a/c is switched on.

Not sure about the statement about european diesels being better than japanese, especially the latest D4D from toyota, chap at work had a TDi galaxy, which he replaced with a D4D previa he states that it is a world apart in therms of smoothness and is a little better .on economy.

Just my 2 bahts worth :o

The Nissan is a 2004 and the Toyota is a 2002... Both engines are 3.0 liter NON turbocharged.

That's even stranger - Toyota had turbodiesels from the very start of Hilux Tiger line back in the last century. First it was SR5 engine (116 hp), then D4D (130 hp). Even the previous generation, Mighty X, I think, had turbocharged diesels.