Farangs Golfing On The Thailand Pga

madmax

Hello all,

My name is David, I retired 3 years ago from Canada and am living in Chiang Rai. I took up golf full time 2 years ago. My handicap was down to -1.6 but because of the questionable course conditions for the past 6 months at my course up here it is now 1.3. My goal was to join the Thailand PGA but I have been told by a couple of people up here that because I am not Thai, I cannot join the Thai PGA. I have also tried looking around and asking people about the mid- amateur and amateur system here and the same rules apply, not thai, cannot play. I can join the Senior Thai PGA but I would prefer not to wait another 6 years. Does anyone know for certain about the golfing system here in Thailand or who I can talk to about it. I love golf and I either play or practise 6 days per week, 5 - 6 hours each day. I have recently found out that I can play in the Philippine PGA but I would hate to leave Thailand, I love it here. Any info would be appreciated...

Thank You...

David Johnson

My goal was to join the Thailand PGA but I have been told by a couple of people up here that because I am not Thai, I cannot join the Thai PGA.

Hi David,

I have been looking around to see if I could get you an answer on this, but I have not been able to find anything either.

Even my Thai workers cannot answer this question.

Sorry... cannot help you.

My goal was to join the Thailand PGA but I have been told by a couple of people up here that because I am not Thai, I cannot join the Thai PGA.

Hi David,

I have been looking around to see if I could get you an answer on this, but I have not been able to find anything either.

Even my Thai workers cannot answer this question.

Sorry... cannot help you.

Its pretty tough getting any information about the Thai PGA. I found their website but it is all in Thai language, which I do not read thai. Thanks for trying, I appreciate that...

• 2 years later...

A bit old perhaps but up to date!

Since you probably been to the PGA Thailand - Chiang Rai you saw that there were a few farangs (and malay, chinese, korean etc) in the tournament. Are you one of the westerners? Just curious.

The Thailand PGA Tour is separate of the Asian Tour and the information I have from a friend with the same goal is he tried and it was shot down. According to him anyway, a Westerner, it is only for Thais, but I can certainly stand corrected if someone has better information.

• 2 months later...

isntead of starting a new topic does anybody here now what the All Thailand Tour is? so far i have found there is the PGA Thailand http://www.pgathailand.com/scripts/default...HAI&TABID=2 which told me that only members could play on, i figured a member would be someone who qualified at tour school but then they say only invited foreigners can play in events. There is also the Asean Tour http://www.aseangolftour.com.sg/ whic only citizens or passport holders of Asean countries can play. I do beleive however that there is somethig called the All Thailand Tour which foreigners can play but i cant find any info about it.

• 10 months later...

I don't know what the rules are, but I have just been to Royal ratchaburi to watch the Singha Royal PGA event there. Although there were no westerners they had pros from India, Pakistan, Korea and China. There was a Jeremy Paulsen playing, whose name was listed in English, but the Thai flag was shown against his nationality. I was in Chiang Rai last week, but on seeing the deatils of courses listed, decided against taking my clubs. We are spoiled for choice in Ratchaburi & Kanchanaburi with many excellent courses. In the low season they have reduced rates. I'll be playing Royal Ratchaburi (it's closed this week for the PGA tour) next Tuesday, for 750 baht which includes the caddy fee.

From what I see of "farangs" they are weell organised in Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket and have regular competitions. Even though the courses around here are fantastic and there are a lot of "farang" golfers we do not have any organised competitions. Perhaps we should consider a Thai Visa Golf Tour.

As for joining the Thai PGA why not try filling the application form on their website and see what happens.