Dutch bar owner killed in Udon Thani

Lite Beer

Dutch bar owner killed in Udon Thani
The Sunday Nation

UDON THANI: -- A Dutch businessman was murdered in his rented home in Udon Thani's Muang district early yesterday in what police suspect was a robbery gone wrong.

The body of 60-year-old Fred Reily, who had his throat cut and five stab wounds, was found in the two-storey house in Soi Noenpibul at 8am. Police said he had been dead about five hours.

A nearby construction site worker told police that she saw the victim's car in front of the house and house gate was left open, so she investigated and spotted bloodstains. She found the body and alerted police after following blood drag marks into the house.

Muang Udon Thani police said robbery may have been the motive as Reily owned a bar, carried a lot of cash and was robbed before.

They suspect two robbers attacked him in front of the house, then dragged his body inside and took his wallet.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-02

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

^ What he said.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Extraordinarily sad. However, sorry to speculate, that is quite a violent death for a robbery! I'm sure money was taken but I feel that calling this a robbery is understating it a bit. To me it seems like the cash was a "bonus".

I think your speculation could be right , seems a very high price to pay for a robbery .

• Like 2

The guy was Dutch, had owned model 59 in udon... The bloke arrested was indeed the manager and his accomplice fleed the scene. Just seen some horrific pictures of the poor man on a facebook page, sickening! Slit the poor mans throat and stabbed him severel times. Rest in peace

• Like 1

An inconsequential comment to this travesty. His name doesn't appear to be Dutch....Looks more English to me, but never mind...Hope they catch the perps.

A shot-across-the-bow to us inveterate optimists, who think they live in a similarly safe and policed place to what they are accustomed to.

It is Thai wifey who keeps up the 'alert level' for me....Constantly telling me not to be so trusting of Thai people, which route to take home late at night, never stopping for people seeking a ride, even if they are Monks, etc,. etc.

I know this is overgeneralizing and not fair to the Thai people as a whole, who treat me with the utmost respect to which I reciprocate in kind.

If not for warnings from her, I would automatically interact with inquiring Thai's at my front gate, perhaps the same way this person did..........Like the saying goes, "But for the grace of God, there go I".

His name doesn't appear to be Dutch....Looks more English to me,

Frederik Franciscus Lelie. about as English as Robin van Persie.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lelie_(geslacht)

Van Persie means HOOD.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Always best to stay below the radar,AND don't flash the cash,

RIP old fella

regards Worgeordie

Words to live by.

In the land of big faces, I try to have no face at all.

I think that's correct, and it is possible to live a long life in Thailand.

But if you want to talk about risk factors that would cut that short, owning a successful, high-profile business here is one, and even more so, flaunting the wealth and success in the face of Thais, is another.

That seems to be just asking for trouble. Still, that doesn't excuse the criminals for the horrible crime they committed. RIP to the victim.

• Like 1

Extraordinarily sad. However, sorry to speculate, that is quite a violent death for a robbery! I'm sure money was taken but I feel that calling this a robbery is understating it a bit. To me it seems like the cash was a "bonus".

I agree. More than a robbery. Possibly competition or jealousy.

I hope we don't to see more of these in the news again.

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

I don't want you to personally know me.

• Like 1