...so Summer holidays - 2014!?

MK007

This is my 1st summer here - I have been asking for dates of ALL
holidays so I can visit my family/friends and do some business travel.

I was just looking forward to 2 months - with one month off (Paid)
The students finsihed Friday. (Government school)

Now Im told I have to work another 5 weeks and more hours per week!

Then I may get 3 weeks off (SongKran/Paid)

They still will not give exact dates - so I will have to book air tickets at Full price!

They are in denial of any holidays in June/July (They had 1 week last year)

Please help -

Seems that you'll be a trainer in an English camp, summer lessons, a trainer at seminars for Thai teachers, or any other purposes to keep you busy.

I usually have six weeks off from end of March until middle of May, but. Last year, they phoned me up to hold a seminar for Thai English teachers how to teach English.

Another year i had to come in on my birthday on the 8th of May to hold a three day seminar at a hotel. Best way to avoid this is to tell them that you'd booked a flight back home already.

There's a high possibility that you'll only get a week off on Songkran. Enjoy it, as it's hot as hell here in summer.

Others here who're doing this job for longer might agree that the seasons in Thailand are roughly speaking hot hotter and hottest.

You'll see what hot really means soon.Companionship of an old fan with broken blades.

As already mentioned to you. Welcome to the teaching profession and never knowing whatever their last minute decision is.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

This is why I've never really complained at only being paid for 11 months of the year. I don't get paid in April, thus always know for sure that I've got the entire month off. Since some schools will find "busy work" for teachers to do, just so that they feel like they're getting some value for money.

Of course some schools just give you the holidays off, and pay you for them, but not everyone can be that lucky.

Also if they're going to give you more hours per week than what you usually teach, check your contract and see what it states in regards to teaching hours. Sometimes when my school closes for a few weeks due to random activities, they get us to teach the rich kids. They used to try and sneak in a few extra hours, but when we pointed out that anything above our 18 periods per week, required an extra 400 Baht per hour, we found that it was very easy for timetables to be changed lol.

• Like 1

This is why I've never really complained at only being paid for 11 months of the year. I don't get paid in April, thus always know for sure that I've got the entire month off. Since some schools will find "busy work" for teachers to do, just so that they feel like they're getting some value for money.

Of course some schools just give you the holidays off, and pay you for them, but not everyone can be that lucky.

Also if they're going to give you more hours per week than what you usually teach, check your contract and see what it states in regards to teaching hours. Sometimes when my school closes for a few weeks due to random activities, they get us to teach the rich kids. They used to try and sneak in a few extra hours, but when we pointed out that anything above our 18 periods per week, required an extra 400 Baht per hour, we found that it was very easy for timetables to be changed lol.

Just wondering how some people manage their lives without the April salary. My savings are gone and I have to rely on my 12 months salary.

No way saving any money, making less than 30 K with a family and a car.My first school was cool, all foreigners had the choice to get a ticket back to their country, or getting paid through.

This is- just in my opinion- the result of agencies, who're only paying 10 to 11 months. Some schools just follow them.-wai2.gif

We get paid 36k (Although 35k in the first year), which would be pretty amazing for Isaan if we were paid for 12 months. Even on 11 though, it works out to be the equivalent of 32k per month, which is still good and allows for some savings. Although I more teach for the enjoyment of teaching, and of being part of the community, rather than for the money (Although I always look forward to my holidays lol, but then also usually look forward to the start of a new academic year too lol).

If I was paid 30k, but across 11 months, that'd really be the equivalent of only 27.5k, which I wouldn't really be ok with.

• Like 1

I believe Thailand is the only ASEAN country which has such ghastly conditions for teachers.

When I was recruited to teach in Indonesia, the school paid for all costs, visa, air fares, etc. Met at the airport and waved through Customs.

Taken to my teacher's house, for which we paid a nominal rental.

We had paid holidays 3 or 4 weeks per year.

Yes, the school was a privately owned one of a chain across Asia.

What's wrong with this country? You even have to pay to be a volunteer, ONCE you have the correct visa!

• Like 1

We get paid 36k (Although 35k in the first year), which would be pretty amazing for Isaan if we were paid for 12 months. Even on 11 though, it works out to be the equivalent of 32k per month, which is still good and allows for some savings. Although I more teach for the enjoyment of teaching, and of being part of the community, rather than for the money (Although I always look forward to my holidays lol, but then also usually look forward to the start of a new academic year too lol).

If I was paid 30k, but across 11 months, that'd really be the equivalent of only 27.5k, which I wouldn't really be ok with.

That's my biggest problem. Making 27,500, minus 600 for social security, then family, my car I'd bought when I still had savings. ( Thank Buddha!)

It's almost impossible to save enough money to buy a car, when you don't have savings here.

Even paying my tax this month will create a big gap in my wallet.Wife had started to sell some delicious BBQ pork and it seems to work out.

Soon, I'll have to buy new tires, a new clutch and let's see.If they're not asking me to do seminars in October and April, I've got 10 weeks off and payed.

Plus all the holidays. And Thailand seems to have the most on this planet.

There might be a pay raise, or a better paid job, soon. Let's wait and see. A good week!-wai2.gif

post-108180-0-37402400-1393770293_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

Teachers' pay in Thailand has been abysmal for as long as I can remember - and that's 40 years! The cost of living here used to be much cheaper so teachers were able to live a little more comfortably in the past. Moving to another Asian country to teach would get you better pay but then it wouldn't be Thailand. One option is to teach somewhere else for a while, save up some money and then come back.

I have a job that pays 30000 a month. I get paid for every month but do not have to work from about 15th March to 8th May. I also get paid a new year bonus of one month salary.

I am leaving after this term. I have had enough of the crap that goes on with the students. It is a private school so the kid can be as bad as they like but still get the grade. Any issues with the parents and it is the teacher in the wrong.

Money isn't everything. One needs an element of self satisfaction too.