Lost Baggage

oldsailor35

Does anyone know of,or have experience of lost baggage compensation claim. Mine was lost for 5 days by SCOOT AIR and i was told by lost baggage office at Suv that there international conditions allowing me to claim against the Airline, for having to buy clothing, book hotel etc.

Apparently nothing to do with travel insurance, so please do not mention this aspect.

I think there is some international convention or minimum standard that all international airlines are meant to adhere to for baggage loss so do a bit of research on the internet around that and see what you find.

Did you fly from Australia ?

I am sure there would be options perhaps through a government or regulatory aviation authority to at least make a complaint or claim if you are not treated or compensated correctly

I would record all conversations and maybe use email so it's documented if you think it's likely they will screw you over

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have contacted SCOOT with the details, they said they will reply within 5 - 10 working days. According to what i see on internet, i have 21 days to report it. Hope i do not run out of time .

On my very first visit to Thailand, my luggage was not there. I was told to come back in 24 hours and my luggage would be there. I was compensated with 3000 Baht, and sure enough my luggage was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a solid reply from SCOOT on 16th. They just referred me to make a written claim to their agents Charles Taylor in Singapore, which i did the next day (monday 17th). I am now waiting to hear from Charles Taylor, but fully expecting them to say that the 21 day time has expired. Maybe this is why SCOOT delayed their replies to me !

I am beginning to think that it is not a good policy to trust SCOOT................ever again !

On my very first visit to Thailand, my luggage was not there. I was told to come back in 24 hours and my luggage would be there. I was compensated with 3000 Baht, and sure enough my luggage was there.

Who paid you the compensation and was it in line with an IATA rule ?

Who paid you the compensation and was it in line with an IATA rule ?

I don't know, it was about 10 years ago, somebody told me before I got to reclaim, took me somewhere and said my luggage will arrive the next day about this time. He then gave me 3000 Baht. That is all I can remember.

Well readers, i have been getting the "run around" by SCOOT for just over one month now. Finally heard from SCOOT who told me i have to contact their agents Charles Taylor. Phoned CT and was told by them that i had to phone SCOOT lost and delayed baggage.

Got my Thai partner to talk with them in Bangkok. After lots of information, they told her that they are low cost airline so do not have to pay any compensation, despite extracting extra money out of me to forward my baggage from Coolangatta flight to Bangkok flight.

I have flown twice with SCOOT and been "burned" twice, first time flight delayed so missed connection entailing a stopover in Singapore.

My message to all is be very very careful if you use SCOOT as apart from collecting money, they do not give a 'rats ass' for their passengers. International connectors at Singapore need to be very aware of the way this airline operates and be fully insured, better still, do not chance missing your connection in Singapore, fly with a more trustworthy airline.

Keep well away from SCOOT ! w00t.gif

I would go back for another go at them, do all your contact though thier Australian office as you have much better consumer law protection in Australia.

Tell them you are going to make an official complaint to the ombudsman and the government minister.

And if you still get a negative response then write the letters and send them.

Scoot should have enough sense to know that answering an enquiry from a government department will probably cost more than paying you for your lost baggage.

The sqeeky wheel usually gets oiled....so just anoy the shit out of them

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Bazw57
  • Like 1

SCOOT should make it clear to all intending passengers that they will accept no responsibility for lost or delayed baggage whatsoever instead of putting the misleading process for Lost and Delayed on their website. This is very deceptive bordering on dishonesty. But being a low cost airline it appears that they can get away with this deception.

I would go back for another go at them, do all your contact though thier Australian office as you have much better consumer law protection in Australia.

Tell them you are going to make an official complaint to the ombudsman and the government minister.

And if you still get a negative response then write the letters and send them.

Scoot should have enough sense to know that answering an enquiry from a government department will probably cost more than paying you for your lost baggage.

The sqeeky wheel usually gets oiled....so just anoy the shit out of them

Thanks for that Baz, i certainly will take your advice.

I am not sure how you feel but from my perspective I thinks its probably the principal of not letting the <deleted> get away with it more than simply the compensation. ....make thier life a misery. ...send a letter of complaint to every man and his dog....post your story on Facebook. ...Scoot has a Facebook page.

I know it's of no help for OP but this is exactly one of the reasons I - never - fly with a low cost airline.

They are cheap for a reason and whatever that reason may be it will most probably cost you one day.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Montreal convention say:

An airline is liable to pay for damages up to 4,694 SDRs if you are delayed. If your luggage is delayed, the airline is liable to pay for damages up to 1,131 SDRs. The airline is not liable for damages where the airline took all reasonable measures or it was impossible to take such measures.

You must make a written complaint about your delayed luggage within 21 days of you receiving the luggage.

1131 SDR = 2219 SGD = 1745 USD = 56644 THB

Some airline require that you prove expense while waiting for your luggage.

I am not sure how you feel but from my perspective I thinks its probably the principal of not letting the <deleted> get away with it more than simply the compensation. ....make thier life a misery. ...send a letter of complaint to every man and his dog....post your story on Facebook. ...Scoot has a Facebook page.

With you there Baz, i have written off compensation, but will try to make them pay in another way.

I know it's of no help for OP but this is exactly one of the reasons I - never - fly with a low cost airline.

They are cheap for a reason and whatever that reason may be it will most probably cost you one day.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yes i agree, the first time it was just curiosity and the second time convenience. I have been a frequent flyer with Thai Air for several years and never had any problems.

I am a little puzzle that they don't have to pay because they are low cost airline, they must have sign the international airline convention that stipulate that they have responsability.

That is what their operator told us this morning !

Montreal convention say:

An airline is liable to pay for damages up to 4,694 SDRs if you are delayed. If your luggage is delayed, the airline is liable to pay for damages up to 1,131 SDRs. The airline is not liable for damages where the airline took all reasonable measures or it was impossible to take such measures.

You must make a written complaint about your delayed luggage within 21 days of you receiving the luggage.

1131 SDR = 2219 SGD = 1745 USD = 56644 THB

Some airline require that you prove expense while waiting for your luggage.

Yes, but where in the hell do they think i could get free hotel accommodation and clothes etc in Bangkok !

Firstly, the bags were not lost, merely delayed and any full-serve airline would compensate accordingly and typically it aint much.

Low-cost carriers are a different creature. Maybe they don't even sign up to whatever convention stipulates lost/delayed baggage compensation. Since it isn't an air safety matter but a carrier liability matter and we know that LCC's are only legally bound to the former, I suggest the OP not base any future purchases based on any perceived windfall from SCOOT.

I have flown all over the world on countless different airlines for years and only once had my luggage delayed by 1 day....I have even flown on Mongolian airlines and no trouble at all.

Qantas was the only airline that delayed my baggage. ...hardly a budget airline.

But I have flown on heaps of budget flights and never had a problem.

I guess my point is that I think its got as much to do with luck as it does the cost of the ticket or the airline.

Always having travel insurance is a good idea as well as that give you a fall back and a way to claim

Edited by Bazw57

I have flown all over the world on countless different airlines for years and only once had my luggage delayed by 1 day....I have even flown on Mongolian airlines and no trouble at all.

Qantas was the only airline that delayed my baggage. ...hardly a budget airline.

But I have flown on heaps of budget flights and never had a problem.

I guess my point is that I think its got as much to do with luck as it does the cost of the ticket or the airline.

Always having travel insurance is a good idea as well as that give you a fall back and a way to claim

Similar experiences here; over 30 years of me and my bags turning up together at our destination. This on regular airlines, LCC's and even on west African 'bush' airlines (and helicopters). Then, Bam!... 5 years ago I had bags delayed on three consecutive flights, one to the US, the next to Brazil and the last to Thailand. They were all consistent with oversold flights due to summer vacations or traveling through ATL on Delta.... a one-off never to be repeated.

Regarding my link posted in an earlier to an article about blueribbonbags.com, I emailed them for clarification and their coverage is all nationalities on any carrier flying any route world wide. I am thinking of taking them on. They appear to guarantee that if you report your 'lost' bags with the airline, then report it to them, if the bags are more than 4 days catching up with you, you will be compensated US$1000.