Ordering mobile through Amazon, expect problems ?

THAIPHUKET

I've bought many items from Amazon that were shipped to Chiang Mai. Some things aren't available for foreign addresses but the ones that are arrive quickly by couriers like Fedex and DHL. Cost is very expensive because Amazon adds import taxes besides the shipping fees.

• Like 1

Also to note if it's addressed to Falang name, customs might seize the package & ask for a (bribe), an additional import tax payment before you can pick it up.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Have you actually experienced that? Has anyone?

I've ordered books, mp3-players, laptops, cables, and various other things. I have never been asked for a bribe, or anything more than the official import fees. Yes, all addressed to my obviously farang name.

• Like 1

I've never had to pay extra--the import taxes estimated by Amazon are on the high end. A few times Amazon actually reimbursed some of the cost weeks after delivery but that's a rare occurrence. Also, when I order items from and supplied by Amazon, I'm never given delivery options--courier shipment is automatically assigned, at least for Chiang Mai.

Now I usually check for a desired item on ebay from mainland China, Hong Kong or Singapore suppliers before ordering from Amazon because Amazon's import estimate is so high. When I do order from Amazon, it's usually for several items that are shipped free to a US mail forwarding company, Shipito, who will combine the packages and send it US Priority mail which usually arrives at my CMU post office box without import charges. Although my last purchase, a backpack, did get held up at customs and slapped with a fee.

If you know someone in the US it really helps. I used to have numerous items sent to my Dad's house where would take the items out of the packaging and remove the invoices and pack everything on one box.

A Thai friend told me to ship the items via USPS (US Postal Service) because the items would then be delivered via the Thai post and would be less likely to incur duty. He said Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc. are far more likely to get hit. I've had about 20 packages delivered to CM from the US and only two were flagged for duty.

My cousin had an ATM card sent with fed ex. Her mother had included some marshmallow Easter bunnies as it was Easter time. About $4 to $5 item. Customs held them up while they sent back to the states to ascertain the value of them. Fed Ex charged her an additional 1,500 baht for the duty and handling of it. Plus the time delay as customs had a four day holiday and the time getting the value of the marshmallow Easter bunnies.

I guess it is always good to put the value of the item if a friend is shipping it they can put a cheap price on for you.

If at asll possible mail it.

Edited by northernjohn

Another aspect to this ... If the American supplied 'mobile' / 'cell' phone has to be 'unlocked' before it can be used with a Thailand SIM card... it is highly likely that the WiFi Hot Spot feature will not work. I have had this experience with two American supplied cell phones. Everything works great ... except the WiFi Hotspot. This is also the case in the U.S. - take a phone from AT&T ... get the AT&T supplied unlock code - unlock the phone and the WiFi Hotspot feature will not work using a SIM card supplied by MetroPCS. Maybe this won't apply to your purchase ...

I also concur with the comments about using the U.S. Postal Service and Thai Post ... takes longer but normally duties / import taxes are not applied.

Also to note if it's addressed to Falang name, customs might seize the package & ask for a (bribe), an additional import tax payment before you can pick it up.

Have you actually experienced that? Has anyone?

I've ordered books, mp3-players, laptops, cables, and various other things. I have never been asked for a bribe, or anything more than the official import fees. Yes, all addressed to my obviously farang name.

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't of posted it however that was in a small place/town in Issan. I now live Bangkok & have no issues with posts. In the end if it works for you by all means continue.

I think I should have done the same as you, buy locally. Instead I ordered a THL W100 Quadcore phone from Chinavision. The phone looks great, is inexpensive, with glowing reviews, but it shipped out from Singapore more than two weeks ago and hasn't been delivered yet. And I'll probably end up paying additional import fees too.