Turnout low for vote reruns in 5 Thai provinces

webfact

I think the people have had a gut full and are voting with their feet ,such a low turn out is embarrassing of the participating parties , nobody wants to know them down Rayong way. coffee1.gif

Why should it be am enbassment on the participating parties, as the Democrats carried 100% of the 50 seat available in those provinces, must be only other party voters then Democrats?

Voting in Thailand is just a waste of time. Why bother.

Cheers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whybother, on 03 Mar 2014 - 09:54, said:
geriatrickid, on 03 Mar 2014 - 09:21, said:

The polling took place in districts where the Democrat party is strong.

Considering the past violence associated with the election and the recent drive by shootings, many people were not willing to run the risk of being injured. Keep in mind that the same group that attempted to block the last election is still present and voters have still experienced intimidation and threats that if they went to vote, they would suffer the consequences. When local agitators are sitting outside polling places making a record of who is voting, it is to be expected that people will put their life and safety ahead of casting a ballot.

What intimidation and threats have the voters experienced that stopped them from voting?

What drive by shootings have occurred related to elections in these locations?

Your posts more and more resemble trolling.

Why do you ask such facile questions when you already know the answer? Of course there has been intimidation and threats.

Have you decided to remain wifully ignorant?

Anti-government demonstrators swarmed dozens of polling stations in Thailand on Sunday to stop advance voting for next week’s general elections, chaining gates shut, threatening voters and preventing hundreds of thousands of people from casting ballots

http://asiancorrespondent.com/118931/advance/

• Like 1

Considering the past violence associated with the election and the recent drive by shootings, many people were not willing to run the risk of being injured. Keep in mind that the same group that attempted to block the last election is still present and voters have still experienced intimidation and threats that if they went to vote, they would suffer the consequences. When local agitators are sitting outside polling places making a record of who is voting, it is to be expected that people will put their life and safety ahead of casting a ballot.

What intimidation and threats have the voters experienced that stopped them from voting?

Why do you ask such facile questions when you already know the answer? Of course there has been intimidation and threats.

Anti-government demonstrators swarmed dozens of polling stations in Thailand on Sunday to stop advance voting for next weeks general elections, chaining gates shut, threatening voters and preventing hundreds of thousands of people from casting ballots

why vote when it does not matter, because it will be invalid people now dont want to bother.

In the event of the election being declared null and void for whatever reason I guess there will have to be another one in the not too distant future?

Any guesses as to which party are more likely to win it?

Anti-government demonstrators swarmed dozens of polling stations in Thailand on Sunday to stop advance voting for next week’s general elections, chaining gates shut, threatening voters and preventing hundreds of thousands of people from casting ballots

Is that a deliberate attempt to mislead? The quote is a month old, and bears no resemblance to the voting yesterday.

• Like 1

As that is for the Feb 2nd elections I think that we can ignore this. Lets get back to this particular topic.

Now what about the threats and intimidation for these elections - any reports on intimidation or threats here???

I would think it more likely that there was a few PT rank and file members going around and knocking on the doors of ram shackled houses pleading for them to come out and vote to save embarrassment!!!

• Like 1

In the event of the election being declared null and void for whatever reason I guess there will have to be another one in the not too distant future?

Well unless PTP can mange a lot more votes than they have managed so far in this election, it won't be them. And a lot of party list MPs will lose their immunity and be forced to answer terrorism charges.

PTP continues to degrade their chances with the murder of children (that has been laid squarely at their door by every Thai person I have spoken to) and their rants of secession and republic.

None of that happened this weekend when the turnout was 10%.

• Like 1

10% is very low. Does anyone know if there is a minimum turnout required?

If there is only one candidate running in that constituency, at least 20% of total voters must vote for him/her.

But is this 20% of total voters registered or from total voter turn out ?

If the latter I assume a few MP's have been voted into office by their Mom yesterday.

If there is only one candidate, he has to get at least 20% of votes of the eligible voters not just the ones that turn up to vote.

Well unless PTP can mange a lot more votes than they have managed so far in this election, it won't be them. And a lot of party list MPs will lose their immunity and be forced to answer terrorism charges.

PTP continues to degrade their chances with the murder of children (that has been laid squarely at their door by every Thai person I have spoken to) and their rants of secession and republic.

There are no MP's at the moment - elected or party list. There isn't even a current Prime Minister of Thailand either!!!!

The EC already said in December and in January several times that they could not organize free, fair and peaceful elections in the light of the protests.
The PT government has not believed it.
Result: 4 billion baht for nothing burned.
The elections must be conducted nationwide in one day.
This is not done, so the election is invalid.
For example: I think if the PT supporters would see this video, now many would vote differently today.

There are no MP's at the moment - elected or party list. There isn't even a current Prime Minister of Thailand either!!!!

True, I was referring to party list MPs of the former government, who should by all rights be in court right now instead of blatantly breaking their bail conditions.

True, I was referring to party list MPs of the former government, who should by all rights be in court right now instead of blatantly breaking their bail conditions.

Agree with that!!

Personally I think that under whatever guise they may decide to run under the PTP as they are now, Shinawatra free or not,will carry the vote quite easily.

The Dems as usual will be having to find another Suthep to step up and cock it all up again in a couple of years time.

This is based on the Thai way of continuing to do exactly the same thing but expecting a different result.

10% is very low. Does anyone know if there is a minimum turnout required?

If there is only one candidate running in that constituency, at least 20% of total voters must vote for him/her.

But is this 20% of total voters registered or from total voter turn out ?

If the latter I assume a few MP's have been voted into office by their Mom yesterday.

If the candidate runs unopposed, the candidate must get 20% of all registered voter's votes. This is why Thaksin's first election, after he dissolved Parliament over the sale of ShinCorp to the investment arm of the Singapore government, was nullified and his party executives banned for five years. They knew they could not win 20% of the registered voters (the Democrats boycotted the election) so they hired smaller parties to contest each district so that a simple majority would win them a seat in Parliament. They got caught. Four months and 11 days after the election was nullified and almost seven months after dissolving Parliament, Thaksin had still not scheduled new elections. http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

So much for Thaksin caring about the voice of the people. So much for Thaksin democracy.

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal' http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html Remember Red children only Thaksin or his clone Yingluck can save Thailand
  • Like 2

Newsflash - newsflash -newsflash

The caretaker Pm M.s Yingluck has made a statement saying that she thanks all those Pheu Thai voters who voted for her and that she's happy that close to 100% of Pheu Thai votes meant again an overwhelming victory for her brother's sound economical and financial policies. She continued with "now please go home and let's us take care of our business and the workportfolio setout by my brother".

-- tongue-in-cheeky

Newsflash - newsflash - newsflash

Ms. Yingluck declined to answer questions on her declaring a victory in the still ongoing elections.

-- tongue-in-cheeky

Newsflash - newsflash -newsflash

The caretaker Pm M.s Yingluck has made a statement saying that she thanks all those Pheu Thai voters who voted for her and that she's happy that close to 100% of Pheu Thai votes meant again an overwhelming victory for her brother's sound economical and financial policies. She continued with "now please go home and let's us take care of our business and the workportfolio setout by my brother".

-- tongue-in-cheeky

Newsflash - newsflash - newsflash

Ms. Yingluck declined to answer questions on her declaring a victory in the still ongoing elections.

-- tongue-in-cheeky

Unfortunately, caretaker PM YL probably believes this to be true.

You mean like in the red shirt villages with total control.

But this is a great victory fort Thailand again no government can be formed.. one more day and the caretaker is gone. Then a month more and the elections are invalid.

People just did not want to vote..

No one in the "red shirt villages" was prevented from voting and no one shut down polling stations. There were no acts of intimidation in those areas.

Why then would you even attempt to compare the two very different circumstances? Despite the failure of the EC to carry out full polling, the electoral law has an allowance for delays due to catastrophic events. How many times does it have to be explained to you? A group attempted to prevent the election That group stole ballot boxes, attacked polling stations and attempted to disrupt registration. Do you understand what you are saying? If your biased view held, any group could prevent Thailand from having an election and an elected government. Fortunately, the electoral law makes allowance for this sort of thing. The Democrats have gambled and will once again find themselves on the outside looking in.

If Thailand wants to have true democracy change the law to make voting compulsory . Then it is hard to manipulate and buy votes . I think it is the only way that Thailand can change if they keep the status quo Thailand will remain rudderless for generations .

In each of these provinces there need be only two parties on the ballot to avoid the 95% vote requirement. Then a simple majority vote prevails and it won't matter if the turnout is 10%. We all know the Democrats are not on the ballot by their own choosing. That doesn't mean automatically the PTP is the only other party present on the ballot and the province election is voided.

Has anyone seen the ballots for these provinces to confirm that PTP is the only party present? A little fact-finding might be in order for more productive conversation. Thinking back to Suthep trying so hard to block ballots going to the voting polls and blocking PTP opposition party candidates from registering, one might reason it was not just to prevent votes for PTP but to prevent opposition parties from participation in the elections to trigger the 95% rule.

But the elections were unhindered this time around - I wonder how many 'no' votes there were, meaning that they garnered even less voters than the pathetic turnouts imply!!!

Beyond farcical!!!

I love how all the diehard Yellows scramble over to any thread they think supports their illegal and failing cause..

Low voter turnout is an obvious consequence of one side boycotting the election.

For example, If there was to be a boxing match held in Thailand between say, Rocky Balboa in the red shorts and Ivan Drago in the Yellow shorts - I'm sure it would be a sellout out.

However, should Ivan p*ss and sh*t his pants, run off crying to mummy and not show up to the fight - then I think we could all expect the attendance to drop off.

Edited by ManofReason

If Thailand wants to have true democracy change the law to make voting compulsory . Then it is hard to manipulate and buy votes . I think it is the only way that Thailand can change if they keep the status quo Thailand will remain rudderless for generations .

Voting IS compulsory in Thailand.

• Like 1

First it is: People wanted to vote but were not allowed. Now it is: People are allowed to vote but didn't dare to show up.

..yeah whatever GK.

• Like 1

In each of these provinces there need be only two parties on the ballot to avoid the 95% vote requirement. Then a simple majority vote prevails and it won't matter if the turnout is 10%. We all know the Democrats are not on the ballot by their own choosing. That doesn't mean automatically the PTP is the only other party present on the ballot and the province election is voided.

Has anyone seen the ballots for these provinces to confirm that PTP is the only party present? A little fact-finding might be in order for more productive conversation. Thinking back to Suthep trying so hard to block ballots going to the voting polls and blocking PTP opposition party candidates from registering, one might reason it was not just to prevent votes for PTP but to prevent opposition parties from participation in the elections to trigger the 95% rule.

I think you're confusing the 95% of seats that need to be filled to assemble parliament, and the 20% of the vote required to win a single candidate election.

At the moment there are still 28 electorates that don't have any candidates, so parliament can't sit until these elections are completed.

I stand corrected but here unlike Australia it is enforced with healthy penalties for not voting .

I stand corrected but here unlike Australia it is enforced with healthy penalties for not voting .

It is a good job that it is not enforced so strictly in Thailand as the 'no' votes in the Southern provinces would beat the PT votes hands down!!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

You mean like in the red shirt villages with total control.

But this is a great victory fort Thailand again no government can be formed.. one more day and the caretaker is gone. Then a month more and the elections are invalid.

People just did not want to vote..

No one in the "red shirt villages" was prevented from voting and no one shut down polling stations. There were no acts of intimidation in those areas.

Why then would you even attempt to compare the two very different circumstances? Despite the failure of the EC to carry out full polling, the electoral law has an allowance for delays due to catastrophic events. How many times does it have to be explained to you? A group attempted to prevent the election That group stole ballot boxes, attacked polling stations and attempted to disrupt registration. Do you understand what you are saying? If your biased view held, any group could prevent Thailand from having an election and an elected government. Fortunately, the electoral law makes allowance for this sort of thing. The Democrats have gambled and will once again find themselves on the outside looking in.

Kid, try to vote anything else but red in those red shirt villages and you get killed. That is how it is don't try to deny that. It is just as bad as preventing people to vote.

Anyway you will see how this election will be nullified in accordance to the law and how the caretaker will have to step down. The end is close for the PTP. Poor guy so red sighted he cant think straight you used to be a poster with great insight.

Remember nobody was blocked this election run but the previous. Still only 10% on average