Australian man Nathan Hansford missing in Thailand

webfact

How refreshing to see a positive outcome to this matter. Let us hope that Nathan Hansford has a speedy recovery and no long lasting effects upon himself as well.

Indeed a pleasant break in the current ongoing news feeds of misery and violence.

• Like 1

Doesn't this statement from the family raises a lot more questions than answers? Amnesia lasting four months is pretty rare and happens far less often than people just doing a runner for whatever reason.

How and when did he enter Cambodia? Did the alleged traffic accident occur in Cambodia or Thailand? Was he found in a hospital in Cambodia or just in a guesthouse where an ordinary non-injured fugitive Westerner in Cambodia might stay? I think if he were found in a hospital, the statement would say that.

Most importantly, is there any evidence of the accident and amnesia other than whatever Mr. Hansford is telling his family?

Doesn't this statement from the family raises a lot more questions than answers? Amnesia lasting four months is pretty rare and happens far less often than people just doing a runner for whatever reason.

How and when did he enter Cambodia? Did the alleged traffic accident occur in Cambodia or Thailand? Was he found in a hospital in Cambodia or just in a guesthouse where an ordinary non-injured fugitive Westerner in Cambodia might stay? I think if he were found in a hospital, the statement would say that.

Most importantly, is there any evidence of the accident and amnesia other than whatever Mr. Hansford is telling his family?

I would expect that his injuries and that he is in hospital are sufficient evidence for his family. I would also suggest that Nathan isn't telling his family very much, seeing as he doesn't remember, and that his family are probably with him and talking to his doctors.

It's good news that Nathan has been found, nonetheless, it is troubling to know that during several weeks/months of amnesia no one from his family/friends was made aware of the situation. I suppose he must have had a wallet or some sort of identification or documents while travelling that could have been used by the doctors or whoever was around him to contact family members or friends.

Glad he was found alive, although injured, still the situation is quite disturbing.

Edited by Polanskiman

I have seen nothing that says he was in the hospital. He was found in a hotel in Phnom Penh, a city he used to live in.

When guys disappear from their families and then they are found months later in another country and claim amnesia, I am very skeptical. The far more likely explanation is that he tried to disappear for some reason and failed, and then when he got caught he claimed amnesia rather than owning up to it.

• Like 1

Is this really relevant he has been found, consular staff would be ensuring the wellness and recovery of Nathan along with family and his work insurance. Seriously one has to wonder why this is any of our or your business.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The family chose to go to the press and make his "disappearance" public. The Australian press then wrote a rather suggestive article pointing out that he was the second Thai expat to go "missing" and suggesting that their might be foul things afoot in Thailand. This spurred the Thai police to act, they found him pretty darn quickly over in Cambodia.

The family has now released another public statement offering a totally farfetched explanation for his disappearance, completely lacking in any detail whatsoever, like whether this supposed motor vehicle accident happened in Cambodia or Thailand. It makes no sense that he would be involved in a motor vehicle accident in Thailand and then go home, get his passport, without being seen by his wife, buy a bus or plane ticket, and then cross the border into Cambodia and remain there for months. Or did he secretly go to Cambodia without telling his wife he was leaving the country and claims he supposedly got into an amnesia-causing accident there after sneaking away from his wife?

If you fake your disappearance and then offer a very public and rather ludicrous explanation for it, you should be prepared that people may want to discuss it. Fake amnesia claims by wayward husbands also do a disservice to real sufferers from amnesia and they strain limited government resources of law enforcement agencies that then have to waste their time finding people when their families claim they are missing and suggest foul play.

Edited by jphripjah
  • Like 2

The family chose to go to the press and make his "disappearance" public. The Australian press then wrote a rather suggestive article pointing out that he was the second Thai expat to go "missing" and suggesting that their might be foul things afoot in Thailand. This spurred the Thai police to act, they found him pretty darn quickly over in Cambodia.

The family has now released another public statement offering a totally farfetched explanation for his disappearance, completely lacking in any detail whatsoever, like whether this supposed motor vehicle accident happened in Cambodia or Thailand. It makes no sense that he would be involved in a motor vehicle accident in Thailand and then go home, get his passport, without being seen by his wife, buy a bus or plane ticket, and then cross the border into Cambodia and remain there for months. Or did he secretly go to Cambodia without telling his wife he was leaving the country and claims he supposedly got into an amnesia-causing accident there after sneaking away from his wife?

If you fake your disappearance and then offer a very public and rather ludicrous explanation for it, you should be prepared that people may want to discuss it. Fake amnesia claims by wayward husbands also do a disservice to real sufferers from amnesia and they strain limited government resources of law enforcement agencies that then have to waste their time finding people when their families claim they are missing and suggest foul play.

Yeah it's a bit dodgy how he turns up in another country. The day he ventured out to Mor Chit, was he carrying his passport with him???

Most long term expats here never carry their passport on them.

O.M.G Maybe aliens abducted him, you are so nosey, the family asked for help, they got help, now they have said he is safe with an explanation, and have asked for peace and quiet, let them have it.

A good result all round.

I think the thread needs closing, as the area 51 nuts are out

Yeah it's a bit dodgy how he turns up in another country. The day he ventured out to Mor Chit, was he carrying his passport with him???

Most long term expats here never carry their passport on them.

Why would you, you either have your licence or copy of work permit with you if you don't drive and even if you have neither, amazingly enough, I have never been asked to produce either... Obviously he had and he was located in Cambodia with his passport I presume, a wife he may not remember or who speaks English to well and at the end of the day a happy ending. So why all the conspiracy ? The guy went on a holiday and didn't notify DFAT. Who hasn't done that!

Then why would the Aussie consular staff not make a statement contrary to what apparently seems as fact? I think they would and charges would be laid against him... Come on people let's wake up and smell the coffee beans boiling away at the truth here in this case, instead of posting silly hypothesis of what could have happened. If he had done the wrong thing the Aussie press would be over this like a prawn in the midday sun...

So he had no ID on him when traveling in Cambodia? for someone with such a high ranking job I find that amazing, no credit card,mobile phone, SOS hospital or insurance card?. I think he had a "Hangover" experience somewhere along the way lol.

Possible he was robbed I suppose.

Family asking for privacy, why? he is not dead luckily, and they have lighted the public's imagination by asking for help to find him.

I have seen nothing that says he was in the hospital. He was found in a hotel in Phnom Penh, a city he used to live in.

When guys disappear from their families and then they are found months later in another country and claim amnesia, I am very skeptical. The far more likely explanation is that he tried to disappear for some reason and failed, and then when he got caught he claimed amnesia rather than owning up to it.

Indeed I read wrong. As for the rest of your conclusions, pure speculation that I believe is perhaps not needed, and as some commented, it would be better to close this thread.

Then why would the Aussie consular staff not make a statement contrary to what apparently seems as fact? I think they would and charges would be laid against him... Come on people let's wake up and smell the coffee beans boiling away at the truth here in this case, instead of posting silly hypothesis of what could have happened. If he had done the wrong thing the Aussie press would be over this like a prawn in the midday sun...

Embassies are not in the business of publicly calling their citizens liars, even when they believe them to be liars. There would be no charges: it's not a crime to run away from your wife and family and the make up a dumb amnesia story to cover it up. The Aussie press should be a lot more skeptical of this; they are stymied though by the fact that the family gave them nothing more than a blanket statement totally lacking in any detail and they have been unable to interview anyone about any of the alleged details to determine how credible or fanciful the story is.

Sir Doctor, maybe keep your little nose out of it. So what if the above is true- he's been found & thats all that matters.

Goodwork Everyone. Glad to see a positive outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sir Doctor, maybe keep your little nose out of it. So what if the above is true- he's been found & thats all that matters.

Goodwork Everyone. Glad to see a positive outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Can't see what there is to be so exited about to keep harping on and on, other than as a sicko troll

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Embassies are not in the business of publicly calling their citizens liars, even when they believe them to be liars. There would be no charges: it's not a crime to run away from your wife and family and the make up a dumb amnesia story to cover it up. The Aussie press should be a lot more skeptical of this; they are stymied though by the fact that the family gave them nothing more than a blanket statement totally lacking in any detail and they have been unable to interview anyone about any of the alleged details to determine how credible or fanciful the story is.

You obviously know nothing of the Aussie press. I don't need any other info apart from he is well. No more from me thread closed troll.

• Like 1