Tax refundable on computer notebooks and mobile phones that will be taken overseas

telstrareg

At Home Pro I saw people filling out tax forms for goods purchased in store.

I need to purchase a new notebook and mobile phone and would like to know how much I could save on tax (%) if I was travelling out the country with the items. Does paperwork have to be filled out in store at the time of purchase? Do most retail shops you would find in a mall like Central Plaza offer this kind of service?

V.A.T in Thailand is 7%.

So you can claim 7% back. Only certain stores do the tax reclaim and it can take an hour or two at the airport depending on how busy they are. I also do not believe they allow it if you have a return ticket, but i could be wrong!

V.A.T in Thailand is 7%.

So you can claim 7% back. Only certain stores do the tax reclaim and it can take an hour or two at the airport depending on how busy they are. I also do not believe they allow it if you have a return ticket, but i could be wrong!

7% was in the past. Last time I buy an iPhone 5S and get Vat refund, it was more like 5.5 percent back. They reduced amount of vat refund you'll get.

Most refund schemes around the world have charges

reducing the amount you can reclaim.

It was 100 baht fixed before and could get full 7 percent minus 100 baht.

Now it is less than 7 percent.

It could be due to the scene I've witnessed. I saw 2 Chinese-Thai ladies (mother & daughter) in iPhone 5S line along with me and they were talking Thai but they also had foreign passport for VAT refund (And they get VAT refund form).

And the passport holder needs to be on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry I think?

Non-O works fine, I assume business visa should also work.

So unless you have permanent residence in Thai (I'm just guessing), VAT refund is valid.