Taser in Thailand

RigPig

OK, I am not looking for comments about why, but I would like to buy a TASER X2. It is a 2 shot TASER incorporating the latest in their technology of SMART Weapons.

The agent (in Singapore) informs me, and I quote, "All TASER weapons and ammunition are classified as firearms in Thailand and at present, not available for civilian purchase or possession."

If it is classified as a firearm, is it possible to obtain a license and import one?

If so does anyone know what is required?

I am not interested in owning a firearm, I am not interested in having to get close enough to someone defending myself that I have to stick something (which I can buy readily on the street) into someones neck and hope it doesn't just P!55es him off even more. I would prefer to be at a safe distance and immobilize an attacker, and (preferably) have a back up shot should it become necessary.

Thanks to anyone who can just stick to the subject and questions in their reply.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about such smart weapons is that when they are sold to law enforcement agencies they usually represent quality controlled products that operate within defined safety limits. The problem with the ones you can buy off the market stalls or via some dark doorway, is that they are not calibrated to such an extent and as such, they may easily fail completely or indeed kill and I suspect you don't want either outcome.

My advice is that if you feel the need to carry such weapons in Thailand, staying home might be the better option, sorry but it's true.

Yes I agree, which is why I am looking at the "genuine" article, not some piece of unknown quality, sold on a street stall equipment. In the 10 years I have lived here I have only had 2 altercations, 1 with a Thai, which was my fault...lesson learned. The other with a large (I think German but not sure) farang, which was not called for and inspired I suspect by the consummation of illicit substances. I do not wish to eat fish heads and rice soup for even a short period of time and refuse to become someone else's punching bag for ANY reason. I also refuse to give up my life and freedom because the world is full of idiots.

This would be an expensive, but to me anyway a viable alternative. To each his own but stabbing and shooting is to me not an option.....

• Like 1

The other point to remember is that the threat of violence in Thailand typically comes from groups of people rather than individuals thus a single "shot" taser is probably not the best thing.

And if you have only had two altercations in Thailand over ten years, you've had two more than me over the same period, perhaps something to think about.

Finally, what makes you think the guy in Singapore is going to sell you anything different from what you can buy in the market, after all, you have no comeback if he sells you a fake because you were trying to buy an illegal product.

Firstly the unit mentioned in my OP is the genuine "Taser" made in the US and sold to law enforcement among others, the company in Singapore are their local agents. Secondly it is a 2 shot device and can still be used as a hand held unit after that if necessary, it is easy to look up on the net.

I figure the first 2 shots should be a fair deterrent and at least give you some leeway, if they still came at you after that I guess you would be entitled to do what is necessary to defend yourself, each situation is different.

As for the 2 altercations, wrong place wrong time, I guess as I am only small I look like easy prey. Drugs, the place has become rife with meth and ice,even in Isaan.

• Like 1

they have tazers in patpong night market with up to a million volts but they are not law enforcement style

where the prongs shoot out a few metres

they are the type you need to be close enough to touch someone with

some are even disgusied as mobile phones etc but of course made in china and nobody knows their exact voltage

also worth remembering is if you shock someone they could hit the ground and die from head hitting concrete which would

leave you in a world of legal shit

whats wrong with a good old fashioned kick in the balls ? it works in any language...english ,thai ,chinese ,german,russian etc :)

Edited by speedtripler
  • Like 1

they have tazers in patpong night market with up to a million volts but they are not law enforcement style

some are even disgusied as mobile phones etc but of course made in china and nobody knows their exact voltage

also worth remembering is if you shock someone they could hit the ground and die from head hitting concrete which would

whats wrong with a good old fashioned kick in the balls ? it works in any language...english ,thai ,chinese ,german,russian etc smile.png

Yeah I already have a couple I just bought for novelty reasons. But they are (obviously) not the "REAL" thing. The unit I am looking at is about $1500 I think. As for the kick, I want to take it out BEFORE it is a threat thanks, I'm getting older and heal slower. It doesn't matter how good you are there is ALWAYS someone better !! If they hit their head well I'll take my chances the intent was not their to kill them and it would be self defence. These units are all but impossible to use in a crime when you fire them they "spray" coded micro dots everywhere which can be traced back to the owner of the weapon. These are not toys !!!

Hence, can they be licensed as you can with a firearm?

If so what is required?

This is the question(s).....

Would be more difficult to find than a revolver, probably only practical way would be to get very chummy with a BiB and cost your many times more than the list retail.

If you get caught with it, may get you in a little less trouble legally than an unregistered gun, but then maybe not.

6.8 million volts sounds a bit like false advertising to me ,i would have thought that much current would kill most people

Volts is not current... You can have millions of volts and it need not be lethal.

Remember the Van der Graaff generator at school?? (the machine, not the band...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

Anyway, it sounds very complicated to obtain this device in Thailand, and illegal to boot. Why not just buy an illegal Magnum and blow your assailants away??

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

yes simpler cheaper and more likely to get a pass from the BiB for a (not small) consideration

but of course totally idiotic and NOT recommended

Edited by wym

why not buy a replica gun and if anyone attacks you they will probably stop when you stick a desert eagle .50 in their faceand ask them if they feel lucky punk ?

peppar spray or mace might be less dangerous than a tazer too ,no risk of heart attack and less risk of hitting the ground with force and maybe cracking the skull open

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<snip>

As for the 2 altercations, wrong place wrong time, I guess as I am only small I look like easy prey. Drugs, the place has become rife with meth and ice,even in Isaan.

So, that "huge German" who threatened you was an Isan ice or yaa baa drug dealer, huh? That's a new one... I gotta say, from what you've written so far, the part of you that sounds really "small" is your brain...

whats wrong with a good old fashioned kick in the balls ? it works in any language...english ,thai ,chinese ,german,russian etc smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Yeah I already have a couple I just bought for novelty reasons. But they are (obviously) not the "REAL" thing. The unit I am looking at is about $1500 I think. As for the kick, I want to take it out BEFORE it is a threat thanks, I'm getting older and heal slower. It doesn't matter how good you are there is ALWAYS someone better !! If they hit their head well I'll take my chances the intent was not their to kill them and it would be self defence. These units are all but impossible to use in a crime when you fire them they "spray" coded micro dots everywhere which can be traced back to the owner of the weapon. These are not toys !!!

<snip>

Several posters have already told you that they CANNOT be licensed as firearms. So why do you persist? Are you really so stupid as to plan on zapping a Thai body with 1,500 volts of electricity and think there will be no repercussions? And are you really so daft as to think, in a country where people LOVE to pin things on farangs (even when it's not our fault), that you're going to "get off on self-defense" if you [very likely] seriously injure or kill someone?

Furthermore, you put up a post like this on a forum where it is expressly forbidden to encourage or discuss committing illegal acts. I'm surprised the moderators have let the post live this long.

Another responder suggested you learn to kick people. I've got an even better one: learn to WALK AWAY. Or if that fails, RUN. That's what I do, and I'm 2 meters tall and 100 kg. And at any rate, I've only had ONE near-altercation in over 14 years traveling to/living in Thailand. And that one was quickly solved by my going to a bouncer in the club I was in and notifying him of the runt (a farang) trying to start a fight with me. Those bouncers are trained in muay Thai and LIVE to pummel a farang. Make use of them. (I assume from your description of your two altercations, you frequent places where males are drunk and rowdy).

So give up your plans for illegal activity in Thailand. It will only come to no good end.

• Like 1

1/ They can be bought from Singapore

2/ This is what I am talking about, not a glorified cattle prod

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-x2

4/ The idea is to incapacitate, not kill, self defence....

5/ I could use oven spray too, but this is not what I am trying to find out

6/ PLEASE read the OP and stick to the questions asked.......

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<snip>

So, that "huge German" who threatened you was an Isan ice or yaa baa drug dealer, huh? That's a new one... I gotta say, from what you've written so far, the part of you that sounds really "small" is your brain...

whats wrong with a good old fashioned kick in the balls ? it works in any language...english ,thai ,chinese ,german,russian etc smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

<snip>

Several posters have already told you that they CANNOT be licensed as firearms. So why do you persist? Are you really so stupid as to plan on zapping a Thai body with 1,500 volts of electricity and think there will be no repercussions? And are you really so daft as to think, in a country where people LOVE to pin things on farangs (even when it's not our fault), that you're going to "get off on self-defense" if you [very likely] seriously injure or kill someone?

Furthermore, you put up a post like this on a forum where it is expressly forbidden to encourage or discuss committing illegal acts. I'm surprised the moderators have let the post live this long.

Another responder suggested you learn to kick people. I've got an even better one: learn to WALK AWAY. Or if that fails, RUN. That's what I do, and I'm 2 meters tall and 100 kg. And at any rate, I've only had ONE near-altercation in over 14 years traveling to/living in Thailand. And that one was quickly solved by my going to a bouncer in the club I was in and notifying him of the runt (a farang) trying to start a fight with me. Those bouncers are trained in muay Thai and LIVE to pummel a farang. Make use of them. (I assume from your description of your two altercations, you frequent places where males are drunk and rowdy).

So give up your plans for illegal activity in Thailand. It will only come to no good end.

OK thanks for nothing !!!

I did not say he was a huge German Isaan drug dealer / user, I made the comment that the behaviour was similar to people I have seen that use the stuff and that Yabba and Yaa Ice are prevalent in Isaan as well as everywhere else in this country. If you think otherwise, take your head out of the sand.

Secondly the object of the post was to find out if they were illegal or banned totally and could be licensed and bought, as a firearm can be.

I am not advocating ANYTHING illegal just the opposite in fact.

It is hard to walk or run away when you have already been smashed to the ground with no apparent reason, I actually could have knifed the guy but chose not to, but that is irreverent.

I was minding my own business at a restaurant, where he decided to come into and do the deed....... satisfied. I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

If you have no answers and / or nothing constructive to post about a legitimate question, then don't !!

Edited for spelling and small addiion.

Edited by RigPig

People, I would only ask that you read the OP, and stick to the questions. If you don't know the answers or have no basis for your assumptions PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

THANKS

Edited to add :

It is my personal opinion, that is is anyone's right to defend themselves, but I also feel the taking of a human life is abhorrent. Sometimes trouble comes when you least expect it and being prepared for the unexpected is only commonsense and a trait of any "survival" situation.

Thank you

Edited by RigPig

I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

Yes, I understand that many foreign transvestites have also experienced this problem whistling.gif

Seriously, you have asked and received good advice. As a private citizen, youi cannot legally import nor own a taser like the one that you propose to buy.

I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

Yes, I understand that many foreign transvestites have also experienced this problem whistling.gif

Seriously, you have asked and received good advice. As a private citizen, youi cannot legally import nor own a taser like the one that you propose to buy.

From you Simon 5 5 5, you may be right I was on the Harley and dressed accordingly, maybe he thought I was.....

I disagree with you though, I have not got anything other than opinion, and while this is Thailand I can't see where a device that was initially designed to save lives can't be licensed when a device designed to do nothing but take lives can be, this is what I am trying to find out. Has anyone actually ever tried ??? You can import firearms with the right paperwork.....

These things as I said in a previous post can't even be used in a crime (unless it was stolen or something I guess) because they litter the area with coded micro dots which can be traced back to you. It just doesn't seem logical or practical. I have no objection to licensing it as a firearm.

BB guns are everywhere and can be modified, no license, and are intimidating as a previous poster suggested. In fact I only read today where a Thai Police volunteer was using one to "shake down" a Burmese guy.

No one has given me a concrete answer, only supposition, assumptions and clever answers. Maybe there is a market here 5 5 5.

i was offered to buy a tazer in patong once 1000 baht some guy was walking around the bars trying to sell them

They are NOT a Taser, see the link previous. Read the other posts and the OP.......

Tazer (the correct brand name is Taser) has become a generic term for them because the original ones, as sold to law enforcement are the standard. These are only glorified cattle prods and could quite easily just make your assailant more angry. With a bit of research on the net you will find they would have to be applied to the neck and for quite a long time to work (90 seconds if I remember right). You could get seriously hurt in that time, if you were able to achieve it. "Zapping" someone on the foot ain't gonna cut it.

People, I would only ask that you read the OP, and stick to the questions. If you don't know the answers or have no basis for your assumptions PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

THANKS

Edited to add :

It is my personal opinion, that is is anyone's right to defend themselves, but I also feel the taking of a human life is abhorrent. Sometimes trouble comes when you least expect it and being prepared for the unexpected is only commonsense and a trait of any "survival" situation.

Thank you

You've received your answer many many times, and it is NO. It is 100% illegal for a civilian to own these in Thailand. There is no way to "license it as a firearm" obviously since it is not a firearm.

If you were a powerful and wealthy Thai, you might have the possibility of changing the law, but arguing about it with us isn't going to do you any good.

Many suggestions have been made as to how to get around the law, but of course that is against the rules here as well.

And finally I'm sorry but you don't have the right to control the thread, once you post it's open season people can write whatever they like, just ignore replies you don't like.

If a farang can own a pistol, and a license to carry (not easy but possible), which is a device designed to kill someone and one of these devices comes under the same law why can''t you obtain a license to carry one? These don't kill, they are expensive sure, but commonsense says it should be (expensive, and a drama) but possible. Has anyone tried? Are there any legal gurus out there? I have the translation of the Thai gun code...somewhere,,, but I was hoping for some legal, 1st hand, knowledgeable information!!! Not just NO and no reasoning behind it!!

Maybe this has just not been tested because it is too difficult or too expensive to bother trying!!! I am willing to be the first and the agent in Singapore will distribute them as long as it is legal and above board.

The easiest thing in the world in this country would be to obtain an illegal firearm, I don't wnt to break the law, I don't want to kill someone (NEVER point a gun at someone unless you are going to use it).

I am of the impression now that no one has tried or been bothered, but it could open the "flood gates" for serious self protection....... maybe....

<snip>

<snip>

Furthermore, this post lasts or not is not your business !

To the OP:keep trying and forget all the morons here, but also buy a good BB gun that uses metallic bullets until you get something better !

Edited by vtjforyou
  • Like 1

It is hard to walk or run away when you have already been smashed to the ground with no apparent reason, I actually could have knifed the guy but chose not to, but that is irreverent.

I was minding my own business at a restaurant, where he decided to come into and do the deed....... satisfied. I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

this thread is worthless unless you can tell us what clothes provoked such an attack ?

i wear casual ,business ,sports attire in many places and have never had any issues

what exactly did someone go our of their way to attack you for wearing ??

this thread is worthless unless you can tell us what clothes provoked such an attack ?

i wear casual ,business ,sports attire in many places and have never had any issues

what exactly did someone go our of their way to attack you for wearing ??

Completly off topic, it is not about my attire, or a past insidence, but as you asked I am short fat and old, ride a Harley Davidson had on jeans, a long sleeved tee shirt, bike boots and a leather vest with live to ride, ride to live and a Harley emblem on the back, which I am fairly sure he didn't see. The attire and the drugs were enough, IMO. I can't prove the drugs but have seen "that look in the eye" before, it came fairly much "out of the blue", I sure as hell didn't expect it, and I've been around.

So are these Tasers licensable? I answered your question.....

• Like 1