Taser in Thailand

RigPig

It is hard to walk or run away when you have already been smashed to the ground with no apparent reason, I actually could have knifed the guy but chose not to, but that is irreverent.

I was minding my own business at a restaurant, where he decided to come into and do the deed....... satisfied. I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

this thread is worthless unless you can tell us what clothes provoked such an attack ?

i wear casual ,business ,sports attire in many places and have never had any issues

what exactly did someone go our of their way to attack you for wearing ??

Completly off topic, it is not about my attire, or a past insidence, but as you asked I am short fat and old, ride a Harley Davidson had on jeans, a long sleeved tee shirt, bike boots and a leather vest with live to ride, ride to live and a Harley emblem on the back, which I am fairly sure he didn't see. The attire and the drugs were enough, IMO. I can't prove the drugs but have seen "that look in the eye" before, it came fairly much "out of the blue", I sure as hell didn't expect it, and I've been around.

So are these Tasers licensable? I answered your question.....

thanks for being honest about the sutuation ,

,im not a thai lawyer so i cant say for sure if it might be possible to licence a tazer

and get a concealed carry permit for it in public places ?

best i can do was offered a few alternatives in earlier posts but il keep reading in case

because im interested in weapons and their legality from a self defence point of view

generally people are saying it isnt ,but theyre probably not thai lawyers either ......:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Furthermore, this post lasts or not is not your business !

To the OP:keep trying and forget all the morons here, but also buy a good BB gun that uses metallic bullets until you get something better ! "

Yeah that was my first thought, and I've done a bit of research on them and am sure that for a few baht the right "mods" could be made, but just hurting this guy would have made him angrier, as I suspect a "trumped up cattle prod" would have done!!

I fended off the first three but once he connected it was pretty much over, but he didn't stop, putting the boot in and breaking a rib. As I have stated before I contemplated knifing the leg when I was down, but if I hit the femoral artery that would have resulted in fish heads and rice soup for a long time!!! Actions and consequences I'm too old for that and am just trying to enjoy life...as we all are over here...

If this is not possible fair enough, but if it is and just requires money and time...... I don't want to maim or kill someone, it's not my nature.

No one has given me a reason why it is not possible. I might have to employ a solicitor and try to license it as a firearm and see what happens. It's only money...

It is hard to walk or run away when you have already been smashed to the ground with no apparent reason, I actually could have knifed the guy but chose not to, but that is irreverent.

I was minding my own business at a restaurant, where he decided to come into and do the deed....... satisfied. I suspect, as stupid as this sounds in this day and age because of the way I was dressed.....

this thread is worthless unless you can tell us what clothes provoked such an attack ?

i wear casual ,business ,sports attire in many places and have never had any issues

what exactly did someone go our of their way to attack you for wearing ??

Completly off topic, it is not about my attire, or a past insidence, but as you asked I am short fat and old, ride a Harley Davidson had on jeans, a long sleeved tee shirt, bike boots and a leather vest with live to ride, ride to live and a Harley emblem on the back, which I am fairly sure he didn't see. The attire and the drugs were enough, IMO. I can't prove the drugs but have seen "that look in the eye" before, it came fairly much "out of the blue", I sure as hell didn't expect it, and I've been around.

So are these Tasers licensable? I answered your question.....

thanks for being honest about the sutuation ,

,im not a thai lawyer so i cant say for sure if it might be possible to licence a tazer

and get a concealed carry permit for it in public places ?

best i can do was offered a few alternatives in earlier posts but il keep reading in case

because im interested in weapons and their legality from a self defence point of view

generally people are saying it isnt ,but theyre probably not thai lawyers either ......smile.png

EXACTLY !!

It's nice to know where you stand sometime...and why..... No matter how illogical it is, there is a reason, even if it is only money haha, which is probably not insurmountable.

It may be a good thing to find out if it can be done even if it is at some expense. How can something not lethal be banned and something that is lethal be legal, it just doesn't make sense. Taser's web sight boasts how many lives saved, it's their sales pitch!!! And I don't disagree, if I had a choice I know which I would rather get hit with, a .45 or a Taser....

Unfortunately here the .45 is easier to acquire.... as is the meth and chrystal meth, the most insidious drug ever...

Edited to add words for clarity

Edited by RigPig

I see what you are getting at but as guns are so easy to obtain in Thailand I would think the phrase never bring a tazer to a gun fight might ensure you less issues. A 2 shot tazer might take down one maybe 2. But the mentality of the people who attack tend to do so in a larger than 2 group. If your successful in tazing and you get away great. If something happens and people see you tried to use a weapon of sorts then not so great. Either way it's up to you man if I was trying to bring one in I would but it in my travel luggage inside my electric razor kit (minus the electric razor). Legal no, but it's been known to work.

I see what you are getting at but as guns are so easy to obtain in Thailand I would think the phrase never bring a tazer to a gun fight might ensure you less issues. A 2 shot tazer might take down one maybe 2. But the mentality of the people who attack tend to do so in a larger than 2 group. If your successful in tazing and you get away great. If something happens and people see you tried to use a weapon of sorts then not so great. Either way it's up to you man if I was trying to bring one in I would but it in my travel luggage inside my electric razor kit (minus the electric razor). Legal no, but it's been known to work.

I have to admit this has crossed my mind, both of your comments, but I guess we all have a number, I hope that situation never arises and am trying to find out if it is legal / possible.

I have to admit this has crossed my mind, both of your comments, but I guess we all have a number, I hope that situation never arises and am trying to find out if it is legal / possible.

WIsh ya luck man. You offshore right now or on days off?

Bahrain, 4 days in a 5 star hotel booking it all up except the booze hahaha (new visa). Saudi tomorrow though so gotta make the most of it.....

Gotta pay the piper I suppose

The other point to remember is that the threat of violence in Thailand typically comes from groups of people rather than individuals thus a single "shot" taser is probably not the best thing.

And if you have only had two altercations in Thailand over ten years, you've had two more than me over the same period, perhaps something to think about.

Finally, what makes you think the guy in Singapore is going to sell you anything different from what you can buy in the market, after all, you have no comeback if he sells you a fake because you were trying to buy an illegal product.

"And if you have only had two altercations in Thailand over ten years, you've had two more than me over the same period, perhaps something to think about."

This bit of your post, most of which I agree is totally unfair and uncalled for IMO

Edited by n210mp

The other point to remember is that the threat of violence in Thailand typically comes from groups of people rather than individuals thus a single "shot" taser is probably not the best thing.

And if you have only had two altercations in Thailand over ten years, you've had two more than me over the same period, perhaps something to think about.

Finally, what makes you think the guy in Singapore is going to sell you anything different from what you can buy in the market, after all, you have no comeback if he sells you a fake because you were trying to buy an illegal product.

"And if you have only had two altercations in Thailand over ten years, you've had two more than me over the same period, perhaps something to think about."

This bit of your post, most of which I agree is totally unfair and uncalled for IMO

Interesting, how so?

ive been in more than 2 fights in the same timeframe ,am i worse than he is because he wants to buy a taser ? :D

Interesting, how so?

Because your phrase, "perhaps something to think about."

At best interpretation the comment is meaningless, at worst its disingenuous and patronising.

IMO You suggest or infer that the OP could actually have modified his attitude, behaviour or possibly body language in a manner that could have avoided any fracas, violent or otherwise.

This is patently not possible in some situations when you are faced with a situation rapidly deteriorating where you are not able to either flee or fight.

Hardware similar to what the OP is asking questions about could be a deterrent or an equaliser.

Of course I could be wrong about the manner I have read/interpreted your remark and would be most willing to say "sorry" if I have mis- interpreted the comment.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly you mean?

Just for the record on my regular rides around Mabrachan I carry a "Zapper" and on one occasion had recourse to have to show it to the three yobs on a motorcycle who nearly but for the use of my mirrors would have knocked me off my bike, drunkenly they may have had the idea that the old farang would be easy pickings.

They appeared to shrink visibly when I dismounted but then again it could have been the knife that I had in my other hand that sort of made them get the idea that robbing me would have been a bit more costly than they anticipated.

I make no apology for my reactions to this behaviour or my point of view.

Many on here may well disagree but if I am going to get stabbed, bashed, robbed or otherwise frightened to death I will go down fighting and not acquiescing to a trio of nothing more than bullying thugs.

Interesting, how so?

At best interpretation the comment is meaningless, at worst its disingenuous and patronising.

IMO You suggest or infer that the OP could actually have modified his attitude, behaviour or possibly body language in a manner that could have avoided any fracas, violent or otherwise.

This is patently not possible in some situations when you are faced with a situation rapidly deteriorating where you are not able to either flee or fight.

Hardware similar to what the OP is asking questions about could be a deterrent or an equaliser.

Of course I could be wrong about the manner I have read/interpreted your remark and would be most willing to say "sorry" if I have mis- interpreted the comment.

Just for the record on my regular rides around Mabrachan I carry a "Zapper" and on one occasion had recourse to have to show it to the three yobs on a motorcycle who nearly but for the use of my mirrors would have knocked me off my bike, drunkenly they may have had the idea that the old farang would be easy pickings.

They appeared to shrink visibly when I dismounted but then again it could have been the knife that I had in my other hand that sort of made them get the idea that robbing me would have been a bit more costly than they anticipated.

Many on here may well disagree but if I am going to get stabbed, bashed, robbed or otherwise frightened to death I will go down fighting and not acquiescing to a trio of nothing more than bullying thugs.

its hard to qualify the effects of the "zapper" when you had a knife in the other hand as well .....

maybe they were more afraid of being stabbed or slashed ?

maybe they had no intent on robbing you anyway and wanted to ask something else but ran away

when they saw all your weapons ?

guess wel never know

next time just use the zapper and then wel know if it worked or not :)

Bahrain, 4 days in a 5 star hotel booking it all up except the booze hahaha (new visa). Saudi tomorrow though so gotta make the most of it.....

Gotta pay the piper I suppose

Nice work man! I am leaving the rig today. Back in Bangkok and well on my way to not being able to say my own name by tonight! Have a safe hitch

Interesting, how so?

"Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly you mean"

The expression I used is crystal, unambiguous and very simply and only those with some form of paranoia or Rambo complex are likely to have difficulty with it, aka, those folks that pull knives and tasers on teenagers because they might possibly have bumped into them whilst out bike riding, dear god, you couldn't make this stuff up I swear. Over and out!

Interesting, how so?

"Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly you mean"

The expression I used is crystal, unambiguous and very simply and only those with some form of paranoia or Rambo complex are likely to have difficulty with it, aka, those folks that pull knives and tasers on teenagers because they might possibly have bumped into them whilst out bike riding, dear god, you couldn't make this stuff up I swear. Over and out!

I have no Rambo complex, am not paranoid or indeed suffer from any violent tendencies but there are occasions in ones life that may cause you to have to make a stand and do what you have to do rather than to try to reason or capitulate, especially when outnumbered and it looks as though you are going to get hurt.

I unlike others that I know do not intend to live my life in fear of the unknown and stay attached to the keyboard as my way of getting some excitement or indeed carrying out a normal activity.

If you do not react to these types of incident where you have nowhere to go and no one to call on then you will be treated accordingly by these thugs and bullies

Really you are not qualified to even discuss this topic until you have been in the same position of many others like me who whilst going about their normal and lawful business encounter those who would injure us or do us harm either for "fun" or theft.

Whilst riding my bike I had another incident where my back back was ripped from me containing my phone a little cash and bicycle tools.

It wasn't the theft that made me change my attitude to this sort of thing but the damage that could have been done to me whilst in the process of being knocked off my bike so these dick-heads could get my goodies

In both incidents there were no harmless teenagers having some fun at my expense but potential murderers out for whatever they could get from an outnumbered and seemingly defenceless old fart.

"those folks that pull knives and tasers on teenagers because they might possibly have bumped into them whilst out bike riding, dear god, you couldn't make this stuff up I swear. Over and out!"

Your final comment makes me realise that you have not read or listened to what's being said by me and others who may have a different point of view than you so "Yes" it is also over and out from me too!

I have been seriously attacked and threatened on four occasions in my life, once in Jo'burg just before the referendum four locals dragged me out into the street and whilst one stood over me with a knife the other three ripped my clothes apart trying to get any valuables. On another occasion I had an office in downtown Detroit in the late '70's and my work often meant late nights in the office, one night I got jumped by the largest fellow I have ever seen and he held a knife to my face whilst going through my pockets with his other hand .. and so on and so on.

My response to those events might have been to go and get tooled up to make sure I was more able to protect myself in the future. I didn't do that, instead I learned to be more careful and aware and to walk away from dangerous situations, those lessons learned my past twenty years of life have been trouble free without any loss of freedom or pride. I would advise others to learn those same lessons.

The thing about such smart weapons is that when they are sold to law enforcement agencies they usually represent quality controlled products that operate within defined safety limits. The problem with the ones you can buy off the market stalls or via some dark doorway, is that they are not calibrated to such an extent and as such, they may easily fail completely or indeed kill and I suspect you don't want either outcome.

My advice is that if you feel the need to carry such weapons in Thailand, staying home might be the better option, sorry but it's true.

Maybe he feels the need to protect himself (or his GF to protect herself) from a home invasion.

Didn't a Thai actress nearly get raped in her own home just last week?

Hope for the best....but prepare for the worst.

In answer to Speedtripler post 42

Thanks for a sensible fair and slightly sarcastic comment but maybe I should explain that I am a normal and friendly sort of chap with no motive for trouble or drama and accept your comment that maybe the lads were just a friendly bunch, having a bit of fun at the old farts expense like young lads do, or indeed maybe wanting some directions to somewhere from an obvious foreigner.

Maybe they just wanted to know how it feels to live in Thailand and were concerned whether I was settling in or not, who knows the answer!

Whilst being a typical defence for their boorish behaviour and most likely swallowed by those with politically correct and modernist tendencies, this was however, not the case and perhaps you could take my word that these people were not friendly at all and in fact were both menacing and frightening.

Let me assure both you and others who may think as CM does that people with my point of view somehow have a propensity for violence, may have a Rambo or Walter Mitty strain to their paranoid character, that this is not the case with me, I am just a normal sort of chap.

Nothing could be further from the truth and indeed I would try to avoid confrontation in any way possible at the time.

Both the OP and I are trying to get it into the heads of some on here that on occasions there is no arbitration, no easy way out, no escape only confrontation and like I have hinted at previously If I am out numbered than at least I wont be out gunned. out zapped.

Like I said in my response to CM I do not intend to have my ability to enjoy a ride around Mabrachan stopped because of two incidents like these.

And with respect to CM and his technique for trouble avoidance, like tax avoidance sometimes it just don't work out and you just have to face the music and Pay or in the case in question give it your best effort, what ever that may be!

Edited by Rooo

I have been seriously attacked and threatened on four occasions in my life, once in Jo'burg just before the referendum four locals dragged me out into the street and whilst one stood over me with a knife the other three ripped my clothes apart trying to get any valuables. On another occasion I had an office in downtown Detroit in the late '70's and my work often meant late nights in the office, one night I got jumped by the largest fellow I have ever seen and he held a knife to my face whilst going through my pockets with his other hand .. and so on and so on.

My response to those events might have been to go and get tooled up to make sure I was more able to protect myself in the future. I didn't do that, instead I learned to be more careful and aware and to walk away from dangerous situations, those lessons learned my past twenty years of life have been trouble free without any loss of freedom or pride. I would advise others to learn those same lessons.

Seems its not yet "Over and out" is it.

And what do you do when you meet up with someone who is just an all out psycho, Faranag hater, rapist, bovver boy or serial killer?

For clarification if I was simply being robbed at knife/gunpoint that I too would give them my money plus a ride anywhere they wanted to go and thank them for visiting as well but then that scenario is not what we are talking about here, is it.

And what do you do when you meet up with someone who is just an all out psycho, Faranag hater, rapist, bovver boy or serial killer?

For clarification if I was simply being robbed at knife/gunpoint that I too would give them my money plus a ride anywhere they wanted to go and thank them for visiting as well but then that scenario is not what we are talking about here, is it.

I don't meet them and when I read someone as potentially leaning in that direction, we part company quickly.

I don't meet them and when I read someone as potentially leaning in that direction, we part company quickly.

"I don't meet them and when I read someone as potentially leaning in that direction, we part company quickly."

The point that I am continually trying to impart and you continue to ignore is that, if an incident like this happens you may have had no advance warning and no choice in the matter and therefore it follows that you would be faced with a situation that you could not have avoided or you could have left quickly or otherwise!

Unless of course "Scotty" beamed you up

With the best will in the world dont you seriously consider that there may be another point of view other than yours?

To be honest CM I am a little surprised that you fail to either accept or acknowledge another opinion without smearing them with some stinky Rambo type stereotyping..

​There are two sides to every point of view without one side attempting to make the other point of view so far at the end of the see-saw that they are made out to be crackpots or have crackpot tendencies.

Up-to now it seems that you have been "lucky" in avoiding serious problems in the manner you deal with these situations, long may your luck continue because you have been lucky indeed!

I have my opinion and it has served me well over the years, thinking about it I remember some considerable time ago a young man who witnessed three men seriously beating up a much smaller and younger man ( I know not why)

This man didn't quickly leave or run away from this unfair situation but picked a piece of wood up (3 X 2) if I remember correctly and proceeded to deliver a few telling whacks on the arms of two of the three men.

I dont know if in your opinion he did right by joining in the mellee, what do you think?

"if" and "may", who can live there life even a little bit normally on the basis that something could happen and it might have consequences, that doesn't seem to be a sound logical basis on which people should judge whether to arm themselves or not.

But I do understand westerners from countries that have liberal gun laws wanting to feel "at home" and "comfortable" here but that's a cultural thing, most Brits and Europeans however would surprise me is they wanted to arm themselves, unless it was in their very nature to not want to avoid trouble or even to go looking for it on occasion.

"if" and "may", who can live there life even a little bit normally on the basis that something could happen and it might have consequences, that doesn't seem to be a sound logical basis on which people should judge whether to arm themselves or not.

But I do understand westerners from countries that have liberal gun laws wanting to feel "at home" and "comfortable" here but that's a cultural thing, most Brits and Europeans however would surprise me is they wanted to arm themselves, unless it was in their very nature to not want to avoid trouble or even to go looking for it on occasion.

Once again you seem to completely ignore what is being said or opined and abstractly write a couple of unrelated paragraphs that do nothing in answering the various points I have put to you but ah well if you cannot beat them then join them so here goes ;

"if" and "may", who can live there life even a little bit normally on the basis that something could happen and it might have consequences, that doesn't seem to be a sound logical basis on which people should judge whether to arm themselves or not."

people can and do live a "normal" life and for the most part plan for most contingencies that may happen to them.like buying an insurance policy.

Insurance companies make fortunes on people "planning" on the basis that something could go wrong or that something unplanned may happen and have consequences. This is entirely normal dont you think?

​Its simple really some people who do place themselves in positions of what is abnormal to you but certainly normal to me wish to have a little insurance or equaliser just in case.................!

Of course one can certainly circumvent all and any risk by just staying in becoming a full time TV poster although thinking about it , there may be inherent risk in just doing that!

This is not acceptable to me however although I do I accept that people like Howard Hughes were quite adept at minimising all risks, pity about the effect on his mental health though.

Some comments/info on this thread though have led me to make a change in my policy of carrying a knife on my daily essays into the wilderness of the Pattayas rural locale, this together with getting the thoughts of a local friendly PLOD on the situation.

His expert view was that if found carrying a knife on my daily sojourn by the BIB I could expect a period of time in one of the local jails.

So I will omit the knife and just carry the zapper and Speedtripler if I have occasion to use or pull the zapper in the future I will post all the lurid detail.

So I will omit the knife and just carry the zapper and Speedtripler if I have occasion to use or pull the zapper in the future I will post all the lurid detail.

doesnt have to be lurid ,just the truth will be enough .........

bear in mind some of these zappers are not very effective and even the best law enforcement ones dont work on everybody

as youtube videos will prove

I think "staying home" as suggested would be very effective, and I don't think "in Thaland" was the intended meaning.

At the very least avoiding places like Pattaya would be a start, I'm so glad I don't feel the need to live in a cesspit like that.

• Like 2