Bus overturns in Buri Ram, 10 injured

webfact

Bus overturns, 10 injured
The Nation

30228288-03_big.JPG

BURI RAM: -- A double-decker bus carrying 50 fans of Buri Ram United Football Club overturned in Buri Ram's Satuk district on Sunday night resulting in 10 getting injured - with three in serious condition. At press time, eight people were still in hospital. The football club has said it would cover all the medical bills.

The police initially charged bus driver Sommai Phermpoon for reckless driving. However, Sommai explained that he lost control of bus when he tried to avoid hitting another vehicle that was trying to overtake. That's when the bus crashed into a tree and overturned. The incident took place at 10.20pm.

Meanwhile, in Phitsanulok's Nakhon Thai district, a Khon Kaen-Chiang Mai bus reportedly lost control while manoeuvring a downhill curve, and crashed into the railings before plunging into a roadside hole at around midnight yesterday. Some 22 people were injured. Police were investigating at press time.

In related news, a transport van lost control at a curve, flew across a road island and crashed into another van carrying eight tourists in Phuket on Sunday night, resulting in several injuries. The accident took place at 11.30pm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-04

I hope the injured will recover swiftly and comfortably.

Road safety and driver regulation needs to be prioritised by the government, major investment in training schemes and regulatory systems, and serious fines/sentences for breaching road laws. This is more important than tablets for kids or even passports for convicts. If Yingluck makes the roads and railways at least 30% safer I will click Like on her FB page. But until then there's nothing to Like.

Notice the way that Thai drivers gun the engine all the time- They gun brake and gun again. They have no sense of smooth steady driving. Then you get the Thai drivers who are always body moving left right up and down, it's nerve racking to watch them from the back seat. Gunning, braking, up down, gunning breaking.

The Thai private bus company drivers are the worst in the world.

They are killing thousands of people each year and they escape being penalized because the companies bribe the police

when ever they are involved in accidents.

The government buses are slower but much safer.

• Like 1

draftvader, on 04 Mar 2014 - 09:51, said:

Is it GroundHog Day or something? I'm sure I just read about a bus accident in Buriram. So sad.

Unfortunately, it's GroundHog Day, nearly every day, in Thailand, concerning bus accidents.

Everyday get depressed reading of all these deaths and injuries.

And I am afraid, we will keep reading about these accidents happening for a long time to come.

It's the buses that are tired and old in many cases, but these last 2 crashes it was the brakes again, because they don't stop the bus when the driver wants them to.

Going downhill at speed, all brakes should pull a bus up within 1 meter when asked--driver thinks.

Constant use of the brakes when going down hill can lead to Brake Fade (No Brake) in europe mountain roads have run off areas (a sand or gravel pit) in the event of brake fade.Nearly all buses and lorries are fitted with aTelma braking system to illiminate brake fade.

I'll bet the driver was speeding. The reason I'm so sure about that is that I've never seen a bus up-country that wasn't speeding.

Now try reading the reports again before making wild accusations.

The driver has not been blamed and witnesses confirm that it was an oncoming pickup that caused the bus driver to take measures to avoid a collision.

Well....from the report, it's really easy to get away with fault.....all this driver had to say was that he took evasive action...case closed!

Except that that was what he told the police. The case isn't closed.

I hope the injured will recover swiftly and comfortably.

Road safety and driver regulation needs to be prioritised by the government, major investment in training schemes and regulatory systems, and serious fines/sentences for breaching road laws. This is more important than tablets for kids or even passports for convicts. If Yingluck makes the roads and railways at least 30% safer I will click Like on her FB page. But until then there's nothing to Like.

Divert the police resources away from the bloody silly checking of motorcyclists papers and use them to enforce better safety with buses

Constant use of the brakes when going down hill can lead to Brake Fade (No Brake) in europe mountain roads have run off areas (a sand or gravel pit) in the event of brake fade.Nearly all buses and lorries are fitted with aTelma braking system to illiminate brake fade.

Do you really think the trucks or buses in Thailand have a retarder brake? Do you have any idea how many headlights you can buy for the cost of a retarder brake?

415503-thai-disco-bus.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll bet the driver was speeding. The reason I'm so sure about that is that I've never seen a bus up-country that wasn't speeding.

The driver has not been blamed and witnesses confirm that it was an oncoming pickup that caused the bus driver to take measures to avoid a collision.

He has been blamed - by me - and for the reason stated. God knows how many times I've seen overtaking traffic coming straight at me, but I've never gone careering off the road as a result. Unless the bus was rammed by the other vehicle, then the driver was largely to blame for losing control.

The trouble is Thai drivers do not know how to use the gears to slow

down, going down mountain roads in 4th gear ,braking to slow down,

then when they really need the brakes,they are too hot and brake fade

occurs,resulting in deaths.

regards worgeordie

He has been blamed - by me - and for the reason stated. God knows how many times I've seen overtaking traffic coming straight at me, but I've never gone careering off the road as a result. Unless the bus was rammed by the other vehicle, then the driver was largely to blame for losing control.

So you have seen a speeding bus before so you automatically blame the driver for this incident. Yoy would make a great member of jury !!

You must be an idiot to only confer innocence if the vehicle had been rammed!

Read the FACTS of this incident again - a pickup made an error of judgement in overtaking a sugar cane truck. The driver had to take evasive action to avoid a head-on collision - in doing so he overturned. Look at the pictures for the extent of the incline at the side of the road.

As an earlier post said, if the driver is guilty he is most likely to have fled the scene.

You must be an idiot........

Refresh your memory on the forum rules. We generally try to avoid that kind of intemperate language here. It helps to keep things civil.

Check the forum rules on misquoting/part quoting.

I said "you must be an idiot to only confer innocence if the vehicle had been rammed!"

i.e. YOU are not necessarily an idiot but you must be an idiot to make such an assumption. I am only questioning the idiocy of your statement - I would not accuse you of being an idiot just based on a few forum posts.

If I thought you were an idiot I would have said "You are an idiot" - and for that I would have apologised because whether it was accurate or not it is, as you suggested, outside forum rules.

Edited by Jip99

You must be an idiot........

Refresh your memory on the forum rules. We generally try to avoid that kind of intemperate language here. It helps to keep things civil.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.