Help with ID on Plant

1Ping1

A friend of mine from the UK gave me eight starter plants of what he thought were imported beefsteak tomatoes to grow. He thought that they had a better chance with me than with him. Thats saying a lot as my record is far from even mediocre and am still a work in progress as to learning skills to grow "thai style". Meaning its always hot. Hard for me to figure out what season is what though I think we just came through a decent growing cycle.

Anyway, they sure as heck are not tomatoes. Please take a look at the attached pics. If you have any idea let me know as I am ready to pull them out and declare them weeds.

Feel bad for my friend. I told him I got good news, and some bad news. Good news is that they are growing like crazy. Bad news, is of course they are not beefsteak tomatoes. smile.png)

Thanks in advance

post-177714-0-10979900-1393897908_thumb.

post-177714-0-22203300-1393897915_thumb.

post-177714-0-65821700-1393897921_thumb.

The pink flower is what is commonly called, Cockscomb, or Celosia .... there is the fluffy type, which you seem to have and a type that looks more like a cockscomb... usually pink or yellow... quite a common plant here.... Probably came up from seed in the ground, from last year.

More info here....

http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=417&o=4818&oo=4818&l=dir&gc=1&qo=popularsearches&ad=SEO&an=SEO&ap=google.co.th&q=Varieties+of+Cockscomb

Perhaps try digging them out and placing them in a better spot.....wink.png... pinch them back a little.... and you'll have bloomin' lovely flowers for quite a while!

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

I thought it was amaranth, tastes like spinach and is very nice.

same family of plant .... if you read the link I gave..... how technical do we need to get?tongue.pngwhistling.gif

this is in part what it says....

"Celosia is a small genus of edible and ornamental plants in the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae. The generic name is derived from the Greek word κηλος (kelos), meaning burned, and refers to the flame-like flower heads. Species are commonly known as woolflowers, or, if the flower heads are crested by fasciation, cockscombs. The plants are well known in East Africa’s highlands and are used under their Swahili name, mfungu. It is used as a treatment for intestinal worms (particularly tapeworm), blood diseases, mouth sores, eye problems. The seeds treat chest complaints and ......"

• Like 1

Thanks all for the great responses. Bottom line for me. Wife grows flowers, I grow only "what I can eat'. I am going to give my "tomatoes'" back to my friend if he wants them as flowers, or if not, the wife can take them over, or, if left up to me, out they go. :))

thanks again

Thanks all for the great responses. Bottom line for me. Wife grows flowers, I grow only "what I can eat'. I am going to give my "tomatoes'" back to my friend if he wants them as flowers, or if not, the wife can take them over, or, if left up to me, out they go. smile.png)

thanks again

Hey it is edible if you read about it.... you better be careful the wife might be after you! tongue.pngwhistling.gif

Not that I seen Thai's eating it, but it does suggest that on the web search! wink.png