broken rental agreement

jacobjm1

I was living in BKK a little over two years ago on a sabbatical. I had a 1 year rental agreement in a condo. Sadly, 3 months in, my father became suicidal and was admitted to a mental hospital. I broke my lease and immediate left Thailand the next day to be with him, and just couldn't return back easily.

I was a good tenant. The property management company seemed very understanding. Per the terms of the lease I forfeited my deposit on the apartment (which I knew would happen) but that seemed to be it--I never heard anything else from them.

I want to come back to Thailand this year for a short vacation. My defaulting on the lease shouldn't impact my ability to enter the country would it? I can't imagine that it would but, don't want to assume that I know everything either.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

no legal expert here, but you should be fine. you honored your contract by forfitting your deposit. i dont think they would have went through the trouble of reporting you after that.

Technically, he broke the contract unless he paid for the entire lease term. He was still on the hook for the remaining lease payments. He smoothed things over by forfeiting his deposit.

Still I wouldn't worry about being denied entry if the property management company was satisfied. Emergency stuff happens- they know it.

I can't see them being vindictive unless you also trashed the place on your way out (like I have seen suggested so many times here on TV).

Your legally in clear they kept your deposit, that's the end of it

Technically, he's responsible for paying the rent until the lease runs out, until the landlord starts collecting rent from someone else, or until he and the landlord sign an agreement releasing each other from the contract- unless he's moved out because the place wasn't fit to be lived in and the landlord hasn't made repairs. Bring a lawyer for that one.

More than likely, the landlord will settle for keeping the deposit, but not always-, and it's best to get it in writing.

Impulse, the lease agreement stated that I'd only forfeit my deposit. The contract did not outline that I would need to continue the lease payments (unless that's some common law).

I did leave the place in great condition (and bought additional new furnishings that I left the landlord).

I was in contact with property management after I left. They said they would contact me if they needed anything else--but never did.

To answer someone else's question about the mental hospital. Long story short I had to file an involuntary committal in the US on my dad to get him some much needed help. It was a lot of work and frustration--but he inevitably got the help he needed.

Jacob

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your legally in clear they kept your deposit, that's the end of it

Technically, he's responsible for paying the rent until the lease runs out, until the landlord starts collecting rent from someone else, or until he and the landlord sign an agreement releasing each other from the contract- unless he's moved out because the place wasn't fit to be lived in and the landlord hasn't made repairs. Bring a lawyer for that one.

More than likely, the landlord will settle for keeping the deposit, but not always-, and it's best to get it in writing.

Fear Mongering

OP< you have nothing to worry about. You left a deposit, case closed.

Do not fall for un-informed fear mongering members, who clearly do not have a clue at all what so ever.

And to prove my point, ask this particular member to post for you cases or links where "not always" happened