10 best overpasses in Bangkok to get robbed

webfact

10 best overpasses in Bangkok to get robbed
By Coconuts Bangkok

overpass.jpg?itok=lKIdHkT6

BANGKOK: -- Whether running across an eight-lane road while dodging speeding vehicles or hiking 30 steps to cross a street via pedestrian bridge, pedestrians are still in danger.

The dim lights and empty, narrow walkways have caused many overpasses in Bangkok to become wonderful places for muggers to lurk. Although security cameras are installed at many spots around the city, they do little to prevent locals from being victimized.

A Channel 3 report last week surveyed the city to find the 10 darkest, emptiest and scariest overpasses where pedestrians are likely to get robbed at night.

“My brother has to use this overpass all the time, and one day he was threatened for his belongings,” a local student said of a Rama II Road footbridge in the report. “I’m afraid that it might happen to me one day.”

Meanwhile in Bang Khun Thian district reveal they have observed the overpasses in the area and followed up with the project to reduce the crime rates.

“To prevent crimes, we have had the help of technology. We have a project to install CCTVs on the high-risk overpasses,” Pol. Col. Nakarin Sukothawit said. “Each spot for the cameras was chosen and decided by the authorities who observed the area. We also have real-time footage from all of the cameras shown at the station. When we see a suspect, we immediately send an officer there.”

Here’s the full list, according to Channel 3: [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/04/10-best-overpasses-bangkok-get-robbed

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-03-04

I work near #1, it's unlit and vacant, though I often use the footbridge opposite IT Square, which isn't much better. Whenever I see a punk, I stare at him menacingly as I pass by.

I live near #5, often use it after dark and it seems safe.

But then I'm 6'5" and 225 pounds. It's your posture and walk that either attracts or deters muggers.

I always carry an equalizer with me.stun gun,pepper spray,retractable baton,knife.I might get robbed but it's going to come with A price.

I do too. I prefer a gun, OC/CS spray, ASP, then a knife in that order. But I didn't want to offend the "No one should use weapons except for bad guys" crowd.

Weapons...really? At most a walking stick or a broom. Never an issue anywhere in this country other then bars. If someone did attack me on an overpass, the following day there'd being another post of where someone committed suicide jumping to their death.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

maybe new business opportunity... guided walking tours of Bangkok's most dangerous foot bridges...

Good idea. Maybe could arrange for the tourists to get mugged too biggrin.png

Could have a photographer there to sell photos of the event for the tourists to take home with them. smile.png

• Like 1

maybe new business opportunity... guided walking tours of Bangkok's most dangerous foot bridges...

Could have a photographer there to sell photos of the event for the tourists to take home with them. smile.png

... and a side-deal with Bumrumgrad hospital to take care of any injuries.

• Like 1

Isn't that the purpose of the CCTV, to have something to post on YouTube.

What better souvenir for the mugged tourist ?

whistling.gif

Weapons...really? At most a walking stick or a broom. Never an issue anywhere in this country other then bars. If someone did attack me on an overpass, the following day there'd being another post of where someone committed suicide jumping to their death.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

would you really jump after being mugged by some kids ? :D