Looking for ATM which dispenses 40K per pull (or more)

tropo

Only have the standard Nationwide Flex cards.

Have 4 going back to the good old days of No Charges at all on foreign Atm withdrawls and some of the best exchange rates. Nationwide were the uk industries cheapest card for Thai use then.

Machines used to eat a card occasionally hence the four flex accounts. Saved lots of problems on my usual 6 month stays.

Transfer funds to thai bank account my prefered method now,plus bring in cash to exchange.

Australian VISA cards are brutal. One of my cards costs $5 per withdrawal and 3% foreign exchange fee... on top of an $8 per month fee.... and on top of that they have a $1000 per day withdrawal limit (about 29K now).

In general Australians are raped by the banks when doing international transactions of any type.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're pulling money out of an ATM only to put back into your Thai Bank account? First you are not going to get something for free or nearly free which is what you are asking. Secondly, have you tried Internet Banking? Electronic banking? Much easier and can be done in the safety of your own home. Every bank has it.

• Like 1

Scb no charge.....Nationwide no charge.

I usually get 150 now 180b plus 2 fees from Nationwide

It must be to do with the over counter as all machine use is charged.

If you have the regular Nationwide Flex debit card as you say, at least currently as opposed to the past, it's certainly not "no charge" when used abroad. More like 2% plus 1 pound per foreign withdrawal. This from the Nationwide website.

post-58284-0-68498900-1394161288_thumb.j

You're pulling money out of an ATM only to put back into your Thai Bank account? First you are not going to get something for free or nearly free which is what you are asking. Secondly, have you tried Internet Banking? Electronic banking? Much easier and can be done in the safety of your own home. Every bank has it.

Really? Thanks for the advice, but I've been using internet banking for nearly 20 years on banks in 4 different countries. I hardly do anything on foot and rarely visit banks unless I absolutely have to.

My necessity for a high pull ATM is to save on $50 wire fees by Payoneer and Paxum. That's the (internet) bank wire fee they charge. If you don't know about them, do some research.

If I can get a high value pull, then I can save quite a bit of money as a pull will cost $2 at my bank end plus the Thai ATM fee.

BTW, I may keep some of the cash in my safe too. Is that a good idea?

Edited by tropo

Again and again people suggest to do cash withdrawls at the bank counter.

Looks good at first (no 30k limit, no Thai bank fee).

But: my German bank (DKB) makes it very clear:

* no fee for cash withdrawls at the ATM (even reimbursing the 150 THB fee of the Thai bank)

* 3% of the withdrawl amount, minimum 5 EUR for cash withdrawl at the bank counter

Get informed about your banks fees before using the bank counter method.

It might be a naive idea.

Edited by KhunBENQ

* no fee for cash withdrawls at the ATM (even reimbursing the 150 THB fee of the Thai bank)

* 3% of the withdrawl amount, minimum 5 EUR for cash withdrawl at the bank counter

Is usually a naive idea.

Interesting. Will need to investigate.

Really? Thanks for the advice, but I've been using internet banking for nearly 20 years on banks in 4 different countries. I hardly do anything on foot and rarely visit banks unless I absolutely have to.

My necessity for a high pull ATM is to save on $50 wire fees by Payoneer and Paxum. That's the (internet) bank wire fee they charge. If you don't know about them, do some research.

If I can get a high value pull, then I can save quite a bit of money as a pull will cost $2 at my bank end plus the Thai ATM fee.

Just a correction here:

Paxum MasterCard: Bank wires to accounts: $50

Payoneer MasterCard: No bank wires to accounts allowed.

The electronic world is becoming very complicated these days with so many payment services available.

Have 4 going back to the good old days of No Charges at all on foreign Atm withdrawls and some of the best exchange rates. Nationwide were the uk industries cheapest card for Thai use then.

Machines used to eat a card occasionally hence the four flex accounts. Saved lots of problems on my usual 6 month stays.

Transfer funds to thai bank account my prefered method now,plus bring in cash to exchange.

Australian VISA cards are brutal. One of my cards costs $5 per withdrawal and 3% foreign exchange fee... on top of an $8 per month fee.... and on top of that they have a $1000 per day withdrawal limit (about 29K now).

In general Australians are raped by the banks when doing international transactions of any type.

Hello mate I am an Aussie and spend quite a bit of time in Pattaya. I don't know if you are in a position to do it but I do my international Transfers with OZFOREX. They have much better rates than all the other banks in OZ. Today's customer rates are giving you 29.02 baht per AUD. Basically with this company they change your AUD into baht in Australia and send it as they quote it to you. By that I mean you get what they say you get when you make the deal. Then on the Thai side the receiving bank takes a small amount. Further more there are no fees on the Australian side if you transfer $10,000 AUD or more. If you are under 10K then they charge $15.

I did it just last Month. I needed to send 10K AUD to my Bangkok Bank Account. On the Aussie side there were no charges, on the Bangkok Bank side they charged 500 baht. Convert that to AUD and it is a charge of only $17 on the Thai side. Not bad for a 292,000 baht transfer. Anyhow here is the link to the Customer Rates, in the check box just enter the currency and the amount you want to send and they will show you the Thai Baht you will get. Link Here: http://www.ozforex.com.au/customer-rates

As for ATM cards I believe the best card is the Aussie Citibank Plus card with visa debit. I haven't got it yet but I believe they don't charge currency conversion fees or ATM fees, although I think you need to pay the 150 baht Thai ATM fee. Here is what their website says:

Free international money transfers from Australia to any account, anywhere in the world.

Free Visa Debit card, so you can shop online, in-store or overseas using your own money

The link for this card can be found here: http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm, you need to read the fine print. The reviews are mostly good and I might open an account myself. I hope that helps.

I guess your country's charges must be higher than the US where it averages only 400B-600B a transfer with a Bangkok Bank transfer.

I paid 500 baht for a transfer on the Bangkok Bank side, it's the same.

Our exchange rate is not as good as the USD though, you guys are getting close to 32, we are only getting 29 right now.

It might be a naive idea.

I'd say that's good advice, well heeded.

As ATM withdrawal fees have proliferated and increased around the world, customers not just in Thailand have taken to doing debit card counter withdrawals inside branches, which traditionally did not carry fees.

However, the banks are not stupid. They see that, and increasingly I've seen a trend among U.S. banks of moving toward adding fees for counter withdrawals usings their cards when done at any other bank company branch, just like they have fees for ATM withdrawals.

So you do have to be careful that your home country bank doesn't have any fee for foreign currency transactions OR counter withdrawals done at other banks.

And, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Thai banks, at some future point, begin to try to charge fees on foreign card counter withdrawals just like they do now on ATM withdrawals. But for the moment, I don't know of any Thai bank that's charging foreign card counter fee withdrawals at present.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So why don't you just transfer a years or 6 months worth of funds at one time for one transfer fee? Wouldn't it save all this hassle of running around trying to find low cost ATM's?

Hello mate I am an Aussie and spend quite a bit of time in Pattaya. I don't know if you are in a position to do it but I do my international Transfers with OZFOREX. They have much better rates than all the other banks in OZ. Today's customer rates are giving you 29.02 baht per AUD. Basically with this company they change your AUD into baht in Australia and send it as they quote it to you. By that I mean you get what they say you get when you make the deal. Then on the Thai side the receiving bank takes a small amount. Further more there are no fees on the Australian side if you transfer $10,000 AUD or more. If you are under 10K then they charge $15.

I did it just last Month. I needed to send 10K AUD to my Bangkok Bank Account. On the Aussie side there were no charges, on the Bangkok Bank side they charged 500 baht. Convert that to AUD and it is a charge of only $17 on the Thai side. Not bad for a 292,000 baht transfer. Anyhow here is the link to the Customer Rates, in the check box just enter the currency and the amount you want to send and they will show you the Thai Baht you will get. Link Here: http://www.ozforex.com.au/customer-rates

As for ATM cards I believe the best card is the Aussie Citibank Plus card with visa debit. I haven't got it yet but I believe they don't charge currency conversion fees or ATM fees, although I think you need to pay the 150 baht Thai ATM fee. Here is what their website says:

Free international money transfers from Australia to any account, anywhere in the world.

Free Visa Debit card, so you can shop online, in-store or overseas using your own money

The link for this card can be found here: http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm, you need to read the fine print. The reviews are mostly good and I might open an account myself. I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info mate, unfortunately because I've not been an official resident in Australia for over 10 years, I cannot get new cards. I have to hold onto the ones I have and go with the punches. Sure, there's always some deal here or there, but when you're living offshore without an official income in Australia, they're going to be difficult to get.

It's not often I transfer money from Australia, but if I do I do it online and always send AUD. You'll always get the official exchange rate in Thailand that way rather than the pathetic rate the banks in Australia give. The amusing thing is that when you're about to make a transfer they beg you to pre-exchange the currency to save $10 off the wire. LOL...you save a lot more than that sending AUD.

I would never use my credit cards at ATM's here.

So why don't you just transfer a years or 6 months worth of funds at one time for one transfer fee? Wouldn't it save all this hassle of running around trying to find low cost ATM's?

Why would you presume I have 6 months or a year's worth of funds on a Paynoneer or Paxum MasterCard to transfer at one time? If I did I'd probability do that.

Not that it's any of your business, but we're talking about a couple of thousand dollars at a time - tops...once a month at most.

I'm only asking here if there are any 40K ATM's in town. I'm not asking for financial advice from you, which you constantly feel you must offer in a condescending fashion.

Perhaps you should search for info on these type of cards and their uses, then you wouldn't have make irrelevant suggestions. I'll give you a clue - they are cards that people normally use to receive payments. They are not linked to bank accounts and have a limit load of $10,000. I don't have the luxury of waiting for my balance to accumulate to $10,000 as I'll be using the money for living costs here in Thailand. As started earlier, the Payoneer Card doesn't have a bank wire option, so the money must be taken out either by ATM or in-bank advance.

So now - where are those 40K ATM's?

Edited by tropo

Why would you presume I have 6 months or a year's worth of funds on a Paynoneer or Paxum MasterCard to transfer at one time? If I did I'd probability do that.

Not that it's any of your business, but we're talking about a couple of thousand dollars at a time - tops...once a month at most.

I'm only asking here if there are any 40K ATM's in town. I'm not asking for financial advice from you, which you constantly feel you must offer in a condescending fashion.

Perhaps you should search for info on these type of cards and their uses, then you wouldn't have make irrelevant suggestions. I'll give you a clue - they are cards that people normally use to receive payments. They are not linked to bank accounts and have a limit load of $10,000. I don't have the luxury of waiting for my balance to accumulate to $10,000 as I'll be using the money for living costs here in Thailand. As started earlier, the Payoneer Card doesn't have a bank wire option, so the money must be taken out either by ATM or in-bank advance.

So now - where are those 40K ATM's?

Sorry, you are right I don't know anything about aus banking credit/debit card products. I assumed you were transferring bank account funds using a debit type card. Good luck on your quest but I think it will be fruitless. I think all machines are now 25-30 bills max per withdrawal.

Sorry, you are right I don't know anything about aus banking credit/debit card products. I assumed you were transferring bank account funds using a debit type card. Good luck on your quest but I think it will be fruitless. I think all machines are now 25-30 bills max per withdrawal.

The Paxum and Payoneer services are based in the US, not Australia, but it is an international money service.

I'm happy enough that I've discovered 30k ATM's.

Somebody still needs to check out the prior suggestion that UOB may also have some higher limit...

Yes, as per post #10: "It's been a while but from memory the UOB atm up in Naklua (at the UOB Bank) does 40k in one pull"

Apart from the directions being a bit vague, I decided I don't want to travel 9 km or so across town (from Pratunmak) to grab an extra 10k, so didn't pursue it. Maybe of some use to people in that area of the world though.

I like to save where I can, but convenience wins over an 18 km round trip in very heavy traffic. I used to travel to Tesco Lotus north for the free AEON machine, but that's about as far as I'm going to travel.

Edited by tropo

Yeah I stopped using that UOB atm due to moving from Naklua to the Darkside. defo not a chance would I expose myself to that nightmarish traffic for the sake of visiting that machine.

To add though I have just gone back through my ATM slips and it seems I only ever withdrew 30k at a time so I guess the 40k figure can be attributed to too many beers over too many years.

Somebody still needs to check out the prior suggestion that UOB may also have some higher limit...

Yes, as per post #10: "It's been a while but from memory the UOB atm up in Naklua (at the UOB Bank) does 40k in one pull"

Apart from the directions being a bit vague, I decided I don't want to travel 9 km or so across town (from Pratunmak) to grab an extra 10k, so didn't pursue it. Maybe of some use to people in that area of the world though.

I like to save where I can, but convenience wins over an 18 km round trip in very heavy traffic. I used to travel to Tesco Lotus north for the free AEON machine, but that's about as far as I'm going to travel.

While not numerous, there are several UOB ATMs around town. The entrance to Villa Market at the Avenue Mall has one. There is also one around the middle of Walking Street, which wouldn't be hard to get to in daytime. I've seen several more too here and there (oh yeah, there's a branch/ATM in Royen Garden Mall too).

There are UOB ATMs all over the place in farang areas including BKK... I wasn't making that suggestion just to you, Tropo. But to anyone reading here who may have a UOB nearby when they go to make an ATM withdrawal.

Either way, you'd have the opportunity to cancel out before finalizing the withdrawal. Because after you enter the desired withdrawal amount, the machine's either going to tell you you can't get that amount if you request too high, or accept your amount and then go to the screen notifying you of their 150 or 180 baht withdrawal fee, and asking you to accept that before proceeding. At that point, you still have the option to cancel the entire transaction.

Whatever the per transaction withdrawal limit is for UOB ATMs, it's most likely going to be the same from one of their ATMs to another, regardless of location.

While not numerous, there are several UOB ATMs around town. The entrance to Villa Market at the Avenue Mall has one. There is also one around the middle of Walking Street, which wouldn't be hard to get to in daytime. I've seen several more too here and there (oh yeah, there's a branch/ATM in Royen Garden Mall too).

Those machines are quite convenient for me. I'll just have to try them to see what they can dispense. Perhaps someone who has used these machines may know?

There are UOB ATMs all over the place in farang areas including BKK... I wasn't making that suggestion just to you, Tropo. But to anyone reading here who may have a UOB nearby when they go to make an ATM withdrawal.

Either way, you'd have the opportunity to cancel out before finalizing the withdrawal. Because after you enter the desired withdrawal amount, the machine's either going to tell you you can't get that amount if you request too high, or accept your amount and then go to the screen notifying you of their 150 or 180 baht withdrawal fee, and asking you to accept that before proceeding. At that point, you still have the option to cancel the entire transaction.

Whatever the per transaction withdrawal limit is for UOB ATMs, it's most likely going to be the same from one of their ATMs to another, regardless of location.

On a side note, would you believe that a card I use from the Philippines actually charges you if you enter a wrong amount - an amount over the daily limit. The charge wasn't big, but a very cheeky scam nonetheless because it can be difficult to know exactly now many THB equals a person's daily limit in PHP. This is in a land where credit cards list their interest rates as "only x% per month" for grand totals in the mid to high 30's (I know this for fact as I have a VISA issued by the Citibank with an interest rate of about 36% per annum last time I checked). They prey on unsophisticated, uneducated populations. Despicable!. What makes it even worse is that most of these Philippine banks have a daily limit of only 20,000 PHP or 13,000 THB, so the local ATM fee becomes a considerable expense which cannot be avoided. We used to regularly extract money from a Philippine bank using the free AEON. (before anyone attempts to educate me again biggrin.png these Philippine banks don't have an online international money wire facility).

But yes, I'm aware I can test the amount, and shall try a UOB soon.

Cheers

On a side note, would you believe that a card I use from the Philippines actually charges you if you enter a wrong amount - an amount over the daily limit. The charge wasn't big, but a very cheeky scam nonetheless because it can be difficult to know exactly now many THB equals a person's daily limit in PHP. This is in a land where credit cards list their interest rates as "only x% per month" for grand totals in the mid to high 30's (I know this for fact as I have a VISA issued by the Citibank with an interest rate of about 36% per annum last time I checked). They prey on unsophisticated, uneducated populations. Despicable!. What makes it even worse is that most of these Philippine banks have a daily limit of only 20,000 PHP or 13,000 THB, so the local ATM fee becomes a considerable expense which cannot be avoided. We used to regularly extract money from a Philippine bank using the free AEON. (before anyone attempts to educate me again biggrin.png these Philippine banks don't have an online international money wire facility).

But yes, I'm aware I can test the amount, and shall try a UOB soon.

Cheers

Keep us posted please. I use the yellow ATM's for the 30K for 150Baht and 40K just makes it a bit more economical.

I hope Tropo and everyone else can find some bank's ATMs that will allow 40,000 per pull.

But in my sense of things, 30K is probably a more practical amount, mainly because I'm guessing that not too many home country debit cards allow more than $1000 / 32,000 baht cash withdrawals per day -- though I'm sure there are some somewhere from some banks that do.

I hope Tropo and everyone else can find some bank's ATMs that will allow 40,000 per pull.

But in my sense of things, 30K is probably a more practical amount, mainly because I'm guessing that not too many home country debit cards allow more than $1000 / 32,000 baht cash withdrawals per day -- though I'm sure there are some somewhere from some banks that do.

I'm glad you brought up the daily account limit, because I hadn't even considered this. As it happens, it's 80K on the MasterCards I want to use.

Cheers

Yes,,, the only Citibank ATMS in Thailand are in Bangkok -- at Asoke-Sukhumvit, Central World, and I believe near Saladaeng. Outside BKK, none AFAIK.

As for Tropo and his 80,000b capable MC, WOW!!! That's a BIG card... biggrin.png

The typical daily limit for U.S. issued debit cards in terms of cash withdrawals is usually in the $300 to $500 range, and a few go up to $1000 per day. There are also some banks that will allow the cardholder to increase the limit temporarily via special request. But there are also a lot of banks that simply say, this is our limit, and you cannot change it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK