Truck Spare Wheel Lock...what type/where?

tkramer

We are going to pick up a (new to us) truck next week, and were told that we are going to need to put a lock on our under-the-bed spare tire/wheel. However, we were not shown exactly where or how it attaches, or what type/cost/where to buy. This is for a Chevy Colorado 4-door w/17" wheels. Dealer does not have. I am assuming I can go to Big C and get this stuff.

I googled for a picture but came up empty handed...anybody have a picture so I know what to look for...?

Also, is it recommended to get 'wheel-locking-bolts' for the other 4 wheels...?

Thanks

Edited by tkramer

I have one ... not sure how effective it will be though as my dealer said nothing will stop the wheel going if it's really wanted! Mine is basically a hardened steel rod which is bolted to the chassis. The rod goes through one of the holes in the wheel and a lock clamps onto that rod. I actually bought mine at the Bangkok Motor Show and they fitted it for me.

I also have, made by the same firm a device (bolted in the footwell) which when locked prevents the brake pedal been applied ... it also is some sort of engine start inhibit.

Google something like carryboy spare wheel lock for pickup and it shows you one. In fact google pickup spare wheel lock and you should see a few different makes/types.

If you want any more info ask and I'll look tomorrow and find the make

"Get the spare wheel lock from Chevy."

Thanks for that. That was my very first thought. However, the Chevy Dealer Sales Manager said..."No Hab"

"In fact google pickup spare wheel lock and you should see a few different makes/types."

I have been doing that, but being unfamiliar with the mech, I do not know what I am looking at or if they are Chevy Colorado specific?

I guess next week I'm going to have to crawl under the truck and stare at it for a bit, to get a feel for what is there and what I should need to secure it. I was hoping for an easier 'plug and play' senario.

Thanks

trans,

seems to me it is the same size as the other tires, but not sure about the rim, Will have to wait till I see it again. Whatever is standard from the factory for 2013.

By the way, do you recommend 'wheel lock' lug-nuts...?

Edited by tkramer

I bought a chain covered in blue plastic and a padlock from a small "stand' on Soi 71 in Bangkok. About 230 baht I think. Anything to stop it being easy. Once a year dip the paddock in diesel or WD-40.

trans,

seems to me it is the same size as the other tires, but not sure about the rim, Will have to wait till I see it again. Whatever is standard from the factory for 2013.

By the way, do you recommend 'wheel lock' lug-nuts...?

My thoughts are that if a serious team wants to take the spare they will. Bolt cutters remove any lock or chain. Toyota trucks have a pressed steel spare so they will look for a Fortuner. The only locking wheel nuts that work are a single nut for each wheel that doesn't look like a nut, it has a matching socket to use on a 1/2 inch drive to undo it. smile.png

Perhaps your ride has a steel rim, if not, then you may have a future problem. sad.png

Thanks for that. That was my very first thought. However, the Chevy Dealer Sales Manager said..."No Hab"

"In fact google pickup spare wheel lock and you should see a few different makes/types."

I have been doing that, but being unfamiliar with the mech, I do not know what I am looking at or if they are Chevy Colorado specific?

I guess next week I'm going to have to crawl under the truck and stare at it for a bit, to get a feel for what is there and what I should need to secure it. I was hoping for an easier 'plug and play' senario.

Thanks

And so continues the battle for worst aftersales in Thailand!

Ford actually ordered mine in for me.

Thanks

And so continues the battle for worst aftersales in Thailand!

Ford actually ordered mine in for me.

What, an engine.........laugh.png

"The only locking wheel nuts that work are a single nut for each wheel that doesn't look like a nut, it has a matching socket to use on a 1/2 inch drive to undo it."

Trans,

I have seen those on the web, do you need 6 per wheel, or just one per wheel...?

"The only locking wheel nuts that work are a single nut for each wheel that doesn't look like a nut, it has a matching socket to use on a 1/2 inch drive to undo it."

Trans,

I have seen those on the web, do you need 6 per wheel, or just one per wheel...?

One per wheel. They cannot undo that one. I had them on my yank fun ride.

PS. Don't lose the socket, or leave it in the glove box. whistling.gif

PPS. Don't buy the type that uses a key, useless.

Edited by transam

They come in sets of four for a reason.

More than one per wheel is redundant as a single nut will stop the wheel being removed.

never heard of this lock for the spare wheel or heard of spare wheels being stolen,not saying it doesn't happen though.in seven years i have never had a lock on our spare wheel and as trans am says the spare is not the same as a the original alloys anyway, usually cheap steel rim.just dealers trying to make more money/sales imo

never heard of this lock for the spare wheel or heard of spare wheels being stolen,not saying it doesn't happen though.in seven years i have never had a lock on our spare wheel and as trans am says the spare is not the same as a the original alloys anyway, usually cheap steel rim.just dealers trying to make more money/sales imo

"Her" daughter sad.png has a new Fortuner, parked outside her house. One morning she found a 3 inch hole cut/drilled in the rear plastic bumper and the spare gone. Perhaps they have alloy.

Insurance paid for a new bumper and spare. It happens.sad.png

"They come in sets of four for a reason."

Thanks Crossy, so 6 sets should cover it...!

But seriously, are the threads 'universal' (one size fits all) for all trucks/cars, etc...?

No, the threads could be different as well as contact area, so you must specify the vehicle. You need one set of 4. One nut for each wheel.