Rearing broiler chickens.

Exnavy

I'm pretty sure that this topic has come up before, but despite using the search facility several times and different descriptions, nothing is found on the subject. So.... my Thai wife tells me that there is always a demand for broilers as opposed to layers and that a batch of chicks can be reared to selling stage within 2/3 months with the correct diet and conditions. I'd like to try this on a moderate scale. Any advice please?

This has resulted from repeated visits by small dealers to the area, who want to buy chickens. Not your regular 'farang style' chickens which when cooked in whatever way, are white and tender. They ask for backyard Thai chickens, in my view tough and unpalatable, but which certainly in this area (Buriram), are what the Thais like.

I'm not talking about going up against big producers, I said; "on a moderate scale", turning out around 100 a month. I believe it can be done with a relatively small outlay, but these chickens sell to these buyers currently for 75 baht per kilo and they will grow to 2 kilo in 3 months. I see them plucked and placed in polothene bags at the local market, selling for between 180 and 225 baht dependant on weight.

I'm simply asking for advice from anybody who may be doing this or has done so, such that I can verify or not what I think I know, before jumping in.

This has resulted from repeated visits by small dealers to the area, who want to buy chickens. Not your regular 'farang style' chickens which when cooked in whatever way, are white and tender. They ask for backyard Thai chickens, in my view tough and unpalatable, but which certainly in this area (Buriram), are what the Thais like.

I'm not talking about going up against big producers, I said; "on a moderate scale", turning out around 100 a month. I believe it can be done with a relatively small outlay, but these chickens sell to these buyers currently for 75 baht per kilo and they will grow to 2 kilo in 3 months. I see them plucked and placed in polothene bags at the local market, selling for between 180 and 225 baht dependant on weight.

I'm simply asking for advice from anybody who may be doing this or has done so, such that I can verify or not what I think I know, before jumping in.

Interesting...I did not like the first one I ate. I have since decided that I preferred farmed chicken because that was all I had ever eaten. Years ago I ate my first farmed salmon. Terrible, mushy and soft....much like today's farmed chicken. I like my chicken that way but not my salmon.

Sorry, I know nothing about chickens except that they aren't as dumb as they seem. Killed a few with my bow last year and since then when they see me walk outside with bow in hand, they run away squawking like crazy. No bow.....no running and squawking.

"currently for 75 baht per kilo and they will grow to 2 kilo in 3 months. I see them plucked and placed in polothene bags at the local market, selling for between 180 and 225 baht dependant on weight."

I don't see how a dressed chicken will weigh 2 kilos unless you mean live weight which in case no way you are getting 75baht a kilo.

his has resulted from repeated visits by small dealers to the area, who want to buy chickens. Not your regular 'farang style' chickens which when cooked in whatever way, are white and tender. They ask for backyard Thai chickens, in my view tough and unpalatable, but which certainly in this area (Buriram), are what the Thais like.

his has resulted from repeated visits by small dealers to the area, who want to buy chickens. Not your regular 'farang style' chickens which when cooked in whatever way, are white and tender. They ask for backyard Thai chickens, in my view tough and unpalatable, but which certainly in this area (Buriram), are what the Thais like.

Hey! I don't want to get into a slanging match over this. I say what my wife and her family have been offered - regularly!! In fact, the dealer's last offer was 80 baht per kilo live weight, because there were so few chickens available in the area. This price was subsequently reflected at the local weekend market on the dressed chickens. Look around!

I keep a few meat chickens for personal use. All my neighbours want only "gai baan", the skinny chickens running around the yard, feeding themselves.smile.png They also want to pay just 80/90 Baht per bird.rolleyes.gif They call my RIRs CP chickens.

Regards.

Hey! I don't want to get into a slanging match over this. I say what my wife and her family have been offered - regularly!! In fact, the dealer's last offer was 80 baht per kilo live weight, because there were so few chickens available in the area. This price was subsequently reflected at the local weekend market on the dressed chickens. Look around!

I don't see how this has become a slanging match. Chill out. Why don't you just do it, and tell us how yur making out?

• Like 1

"currently for 75 baht per kilo and they will grow to 2 kilo in 3 months. I see them plucked and placed in polothene bags at the local market, selling for between 180 and 225 baht dependant on weight."

I don't see how a dressed chicken will weigh 2 kilos unless you mean live weight which in case no way you are getting 75baht a kilo.

They are paying 70 baht live weight for the backyard chickens here. I don't know about 2 kg in 3 months but i would guess it would depend on what breed of chicken.

zeichen - This isn't bull. 2 kilos at 3 months is not special when they get the correct feed.

teletiger - Yes, that's about right for skinny b/yard chickens. They'll mostly be around a kilo or a little more.

wolfmanjack - Yes, 70 baht a kilo is probably right in some areas. I'd take that anytime. 75/80 is being offered here because broilers are scarce and in demand.

canada - I asked for advice, assuming that somebody in the forum has experience on this subject. I did not expect to be told 'no way etc.', which in my book says I'm bullsh.....g. From the info already posted, there seems to be enough to verify my thoughts on the subject, so I will most certainly rear a few broilers

zeichen - This isn't bull. 2 kilos at 3 months is not special when they get the correct feed.

teletiger - Yes, that's about right for skinny b/yard chickens. They'll mostly be around a kilo or a little more.

wolfmanjack - Yes, 70 baht a kilo is probably right in some areas. I'd take that anytime. 75/80 is being offered here because broilers are scarce and in demand.

canada - I asked for advice, assuming that somebody in the forum has experience on this subject. I did not expect to be told 'no way etc.', which in my book says I'm bullsh.....g. From the info already posted, there seems to be enough to verify my thoughts on the subject, so I will most certainly rear a few broilers

• Like 1

i buy corn for our hens as well as there laying food,

i get corn at 7.5bht kilo but i have to buy a ton,

that i would think would put weight on a chicken,

also in the uk, you can get a broiler to mrkt weight in 6 weeks,

i no this is thailand,

there is the odd member on here doing this, youll just have to look them up in old posts,

jake

The local Chinese poultry rearers recently went around the village selling Gai pan for 10 Baht,300 Gram. They tasted horrible and rubbery. (we didn't buy any). The neighbour bought 17 with his last cash. So I shouldn't worry too much about quality .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jotham (and all). A lot of useful info to digest and consider. This isn't something I've only recently decided to investigate. It's just that the current prices have 'added fuel to the fire'.

A Thai guy we know went into this 'activity' some months ago and offered help and advice if we fancied trying the same. I've stood back for a while because caution seemed the best policy. I also think it best to get alternative and more in depth advice, which is where we are now. He's doing exactly the same as I now want to do. Small/moderate scale, 300 birds at a time, some (half) sold at 6 weeks old. We saw the remaining 150 birds (which are black but I don't know the breed), and via questions and answers, was told of the 3 month weight expectancy. ie., 2 kilos per bird. He buys the chicks very cheaply (he said), and also buys in the feed. He's offered to get the chicks for me if I want to give it a go.

Obviously, now armed with a lot more info, I'll soon be on my way to visit this guy, when many more questions will be asked. It will also update me on final weight and sale prices of the remaining 150 birds.

Thank's again everybody. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Jotham (and all). A lot of useful info to digest and consider. This isn't something I've only recently decided to investigate. It's just that the current prices have 'added fuel to the fire'.

A Thai guy we know went into this 'activity' some months ago and offered help and advice if we fancied trying the same. I've stood back for a while because caution seemed the best policy. I also think it best to get alternative and more in depth advice, which is where we are now. He's doing exactly the same as I now want to do. Small/moderate scale, 300 birds at a time, some (half) sold at 6 weeks old. We saw the remaining 150 birds (which are black but I don't know the breed), and via questions and answers, was told of the 3 month weight expectancy. ie., 2 kilos per bird. He buys the chicks very cheaply (he said), and also buys in the feed. He's offered to get the chicks for me if I want to give it a go.

Obviously, now armed with a lot more info, I'll soon be on my way to visit this guy, when many more questions will be asked. It will also update me on final weight and sale prices of the remaining 150 birds.

Thank's again everybody. I'll keep you posted.

These sound like the crosses I mentioned as it is the only way you can get the quantity you need (unless they are culled male layers). You make a black sex link cross and get a solid black female chick and a black male chick with a white spot on its head. You cross the female with a dark Gai Ban rooster and you get a 3 blood (sam luat) chicken. It will look pretty close to a Gai ban. When I made them they were difficult to sell alive as people could tell they were not real gai ban. . With really good feed I still doubt you can get to 2 kg in 90 days even with males, but they would be a saleable size. Someone does this on a large scale and the birds are sold as fried chicken (gai ban) from little carts.

I still believe that if you try to feed them like you would a broiler that it will be difficult to make a profit. Layer breeds have a poor feed conversion at around 5-6:1 You might do better with a couple of tricks.

I'm trying to set up my parent stock now to do something similar, but I want to sell the chicks. I will have about 4 or 5 purebred lines and will make crosses to see what works. I've got some ideas I want to try.

Where are you at if you don't mind saying?

Hi Jontham, I'm 4km outside Lahansai, Buriram.

Went to see the Thai guy late yesterday with my wife. He'd sold the remaining 150 birds at about 9 weeks and (he said), an average weight of 1.5 kilos. I reminded him of his 3 month 2 kilo weight statement from the last time we met and he was pretty vague about it this time. Said the feed during the first month needed to be adjusted to put the weight on early. In other words, difficult to achieve it seems, so I owe you guys an apology for insisting that it was possible.

Anyway, we covered costs against sale price of all the birds and he made what I consider to be a fair profit. Any profit against light and interesting 'work', is OK by me and if the margin can be improved, I'm in. So.....as we already have a suitable building which just needs a bit more work done to it, I ordered 300 chicks which should be available in about 3 weeks. I'm going to follow his modified feed program etc., and when we're at the sale stage we're also going to use his dealers. He says that there's no problem moving them on and I get the feeling that they go South to Cambodia.!!

My wife and the Thai guy talk in Kymer. My wife passes on her interpretation of what he says voluntarily or in answer to my questions, so there may be one or two misinterpretations for which I once again apologise for. The gist of it though has got me hooked.

1.5 kg in 9 weeks for a Gai bahn is fantastic and higher than I would think possible. That would be excellent even for the crosses. Could you describe what they look like? What color are they. I am really surprised you could lay your hands on that many Gai Bahn. I hope you will post some pictures.

you might find that keeping the lights on and giving them daylight all the time could help,

i brought over from england 2 small solor units that run 2x14wt bulbs off a battery works well for me,

just a thought

jake,

ps and corn fed chickens were always the best at christmas, all cockerals

He says that they are 4 blood. They are black, no idea what colour they start off with, but when we first saw them just after 6 weeks old, they were totally black. He gets them from what I would assume is a breeding centre of sorts, which is also where he works.

Yes of cause, I'll put some photos up as soon as I get the chicks - on going aswell.

Is keeping the lights on a known benefit to growth Jake? I'd love to get my hands on something solar if it is. Anybody know if they're sold in Thailand?

• Like 1

when keeping broilers you just want them to eat and drink so keeping the lights on would let them do this longer,

but i will say in the uk they dont move about much at all, just eat and drink and there is upto 50,000 birds in there sheds

He says that they are 4 blood. They are black, no idea what colour they start off with, but when we first saw them just after 6 weeks old, they were totally black. He gets them from what I would assume is a breeding centre of sorts, which is also where he works.

Yes of cause, I'll put some photos up as soon as I get the chicks - on going aswell.

Is keeping the lights on a known benefit to growth Jake? I'd love to get my hands on something solar if it is. Anybody know if they're sold in Thailand?

4 blood means they are crosses that are probably only 25% Gai Ban. The ones I made were black. When I get my flock up and running I will be making some of these again. Please send more details about the cost of chicks and feed. Also what is the protein content of the feed and brand.

Thanks,

PS, corn will definitely help fatten, but doesn't have enough protein on its own for fast growth.

I'll be paying 12 baht each for the chicks. (Asked the price of 3 blood chicks from a local feed and farm stock shop - 45 baht each!)

Can't read Thai so don't know brand of feed but price 510 for starter feed and 500 baht from one month onwards (per sack).

He reckons 3 sacks per 100 birds per month. So at around 2 months the cost for 300 is 9090 baht. Add the birds at 3600 baht, basic cost is 12690 baht.

Looking at his last 150 bird sale after approximately 2 months, 'assuming' 1.5 kilos per bird at 70 baht a kilo, he did well.

can i just give you a warning,

dont spend to much time in your shed with the chickens, the dust i think it will be called the same as pigoen bloom is no good for you, take it from me my friend were a mask,

if possible have very good ventilation

take care and good luck, sound good to me

jake