Thai Interpol arrest wanted Russian drug lord on Koh Samui

Thai Interpol arrest wanted Russian drug lord

KOH SAMUI: -- A Russian national wanted for conspiracy in the drug trade has been arrested in Ko Samui.

Thailand Interpol branch head, Pol Col Apichart Suriboonya told a news conference Friday that the Russian suspect, Yuri Chemanov, was wanted for conspiracy in drug trade.

Pol Col Apichart said that Interpol had earlier contacted Thai Interpol to help trace the suspect after he fled Russian for an alleged synthetic marijuana conspiracy.

Synthetic marijuana is known as a fast-working drug that cannot be detected by sniffer dogs.

He said the tip led to the suspect’s arrest on Samui Island in Surat Thani.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-interpol-arrest-wanted-russian-drug-lord/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-08

• Like 2

Russian drug man arrested
The Nation

KOH SAMUI: -- Thai police and Interpol have tracked down and arrested a Russian wanted for conspiracy to deal in illegal drugs, the Thai News Agency reported yesterday.

Yuri Chemanov was arrested after close collaboration with Interpol, Thailand's Interpol branch head Pol Colonel Apichart Suriboonya said. Interpol had contacted Thai authorities to help track the suspect after he fled Russia for an alleged synthetic marijuana conspiracy, a fast-working drug that cannot be detected by sniffer dogs. A tip-off led to the suspect's arrest on Samui Island in Surat Thani.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-08

I pity anyone who buys any the crap this guy allegedly was involved in. I got nothing against people smoking pot , getting stoned and sining Bob Marley songs but the health risks attached to spice/k2 make this guy a scumbag. Lock him up and throw away they key.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Koh Samui is a hotbed of criminals of all nationalities. Dreadful place.

As said by Samui Coconut, where do you live?

Koh Samui is a hotbed of criminals of all nationalities. Dreadful place.

Where do YOU life ? Pattaya ???

Well it is dreadful when you compare it to only 6 years ago. We moved after living there for 3 years. I still go back a couple of times a year to see a good mate and there's definately a change in the type of farang i see. Lots of wanna be gangsters , real estage guys talking millions but in reality skint. I generally stay Bohput / Bangrak area. Fishermans village is ok and Larry still does the best steak. In Bangrak the bars are empty. Chewang is now a rat hole , Soi Regge which used to be a great vibrant place has tumbleweed blowing down the road. Oddly , the surviving bar is the ladyboy place. Even long term expats i know hate it and want out but they can't because they haven't yet found another fool to buy the bar. Property prices are outrageous , the infrastructure can't cope with the development. Raw sewage in the sea and seriously dangerous roads. I guess it depends how long you've been there.

I have been here for 12 years now and seen many of the changes - some for the better, some for the worse. I still consider it to be a great place to live. There is an element of truth in the above comments but somewhat over the top in my opinion. Anyone who lives here knows the places to avoid and Samui is not all girlie bars and ladyboys - but then if those are the areas you frequent then you will get a jaded view of life here.

It's just my opinion and i don't think it's really over the top. I say what i see. You're right , these are the areas i usually frequent but they've always had girlie bars and the ladyboy places. They never used to be places to avoid. I was mainly passing comment on the type of farang and there's certainly more shady people than there used to be. The other things i mention are sad but true. I first lived there in 2002 , comparing then to now i reckon it's gone to the dogs. Sure there are some very beautiful unspoild places but one wonders for how long.

• Like 1

Hmm, Interpol seems to have stepped up it's efforts lately. Maybe they've gained access to immigration's database or something, before it was very quiet on that front.

Interpol is a coordinating body for 190 member countries and provides training and support for its members. About a year or so ago Thailand announced increased cooperation with Interpol, additional RTP resources and focus on foreign criminals residing/operating in Thailand. For once it appears that the announcement mirrors reality as foreign criminals now seem to be regularly arrested in Thailand on behalf of member countries

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Samui is no better or worse than any other place in Thailand where tourist go. There are gangsters, pimps, paedos in all parts of the world , for a peaceful island life you have to go at least 4km off the ring road there you will find peace, tranquility and an abundance if wild life years ago Bangrak was a great place it is now the den of thieves only recently the British owner of Dreamers was shipped back to the UK and I heard the number two police boss was moved to a desk job so it appears at long last the police have decided to clean up the place and drive these nasty people out

Agree! ....but you don't even have to go 4 kms off the ring road to find peace and tranquility.... I am 100 meters off the ring road and 300 meters to a nice quiet beach area in Maenam.... none of the crap that goes on in some areas .... If you look for trouble you'll find it.... but easily avoidable.....and many areas of Samui you can find the same! facepalm.gif

Shussssssssh jimmy, tell em that and all the buggers will come here. sad.png

• Like 2

..........................................................................................................................................why do we use the term''lord'',try ''scum'',or russian drug ''sloth'',or russian drug ''dork''....''mutt''....''idiot''....but lord...i think not..

• Like 1

..........................................................................................................................................why do we use the term''lord'',try ''scum'',or russian drug ''sloth'',or russian drug ''dork''....''mutt''....''idiot''....but lord...i think not..

and why add the "Russian" part.... these &lt;deleted&gt; come from all over.... it's not an exclusive "Russian club"facepalm.gif ...

Slow down boys.

He was wanted on an alleged weed charge.

Doesn't sound so bad to me.

I could be wrong wai.gif

Don't think it was weed as such. Synthetic sounds more like a manufactured liquid form of THC

Hmm, Interpol seems to have stepped up it's efforts lately. Maybe they've gained access to immigration's database or something, before it was very quiet on that front.

Interpol is a coordinating body for 190 member countries and provides training and support for its members. About a year or so ago Thailand announced increased cooperation with Interpol, additional RTP resources and focus on foreign criminals residing/operating in Thailand. For once it appears that the announcement mirrors reality as foreign criminals now seem to be regularly arrested in Thailand on behalf of member countries

Ok, that would explain it, thanks. Hopefully other agencies/international bodies can follow this successful co-operation.

Most of us will try to defend the areas where we rent or have bought property, Samui, Phuket, Pattaya wherever. Its our natural instinct.

Just a thought.

It's a good thought because it's true. I can understand the defense from folk who've bought places cos they're sort of stuck where they are. It's usually a very hostile defense from those in the sticks who've bought Tilac and the extended family a nice free mansion. It depends what you want in Samui. Bangrak used to be great but now it's awful. There's seems to be an atmosphere which isn't good. Soi Regge used to be great when big Nick had the PFC bar and Scottish Graham had the pool place. The soi was crowded every night. Now it's a ghost soi. If you go further round the coast there's some beautiful secluded spots. It's a bit quiet for me but great for some. All the places you mention are crap compared to years ago. Most long term expats i speak too agree. I hope it's just a phase on Samui. It's been the " in " place for some time attracting very dubious types.Time will see all them all skint , dead or in the Hilton. The would be new lot will find somewhere else.

Edited by nanapong

Most of us will try to defend the areas where we rent or have bought property, Samui, Phuket, Pattaya wherever. Its our natural instinct.

Just a thought.

It's a good thought because it's true. I can understand the defense from folk who've bought places cos they're sort of stuck where they are. It's usually a very hostile defense from those in the sticks who've bought Tilac and the extended family a nice free mansion. It depends what you want in Samui. Bangrak used to be great but now it's awful. There's seems to be an atmosphere which isn't good. Soi Regge used to be great when big Nick had the PFC bar and Scottish Graham had the pool place. The soi was crowded every night. Now it's a ghost soi. If you go further round the coast there's some beautiful secluded spots. It's a bit quiet for me but great for some. All the places you mention are crap compared to years ago. Most long term expats i speak too agree. I hope it's just a phase on Samui. It's been the " in " place for some time attracting very dubious types.Time will see all them all skint , dead or in the Hilton. The would be new lot will find somewhere else.

No, it's a good thought only because you agree with Postmaster, just an opinion, just like mine that I live in Bangrak by choice and I like living here. There are some good bars here with great expat company to be had.....oh what's the point, you're all so negative, get a life.

• Like 2