142 Thais Die Daily From Smoking

george

Tobacco causes deaths: 142 Thais die daily from smoking

BANGKOK: -- At least 52,000 Thai people die annually from smoking-related diseases in Thailand--or 142 persons every day, according to Thailand's Action on Smoking and Health Foundation(ASH).

The foundation on Wednesday reported that about 5 million smokers worldwide die every year--or 13,700 daily.

It quoted the World Health Organization as warning that the number of deaths from smoking-related illnesses around the globe will grow to 10 million annually, or 27,000 a day, or 20 deaths per minute during the next 25 years, higher than the combined death toll from AIDS, tuberculosis, highway accidents, suicide and childbirth.

The foundation also said that medical research claims that the majority of smokers who began smoking during their teenage years would die, on average, 22 years prematurely.

--TNA 2006-05-31

BANGKOK: -- At least 52,000 Thai people die annually from smoking-related diseases in Thailand--or 142 persons every day, according to Thailand's Action on Smoking and Health Foundation(ASH).

The foundation on Wednesday reported that about 5 million smokers worldwide die every year--or 13,700 daily.

It quoted the World Health Organization as warning that the number of deaths from smoking-related illnesses around the globe will grow to 10 million annually, or 27,000 a day, or 20 deaths per minute during the next 25 years, higher than the combined death toll from AIDS, tuberculosis, highway accidents, suicide and childbirth.

The foundation also said that medical research claims that the majority of smokers who began smoking during their teenage years would die, on average, 22 years prematurely.

--TNA 2006-05-31

Holy Cow George! That sounds a bit on the unreal side. I wonder how that would compare to the number of daily road fatalities?

Of all of my Thai friends (there are many), I only know one Thai man who doesn't smoke. I see very young kids lighting up all the time too. It can't be from a lack of education as the government, in my opinion, is putting out plenty of info. Perhaps it's some sort of peer pressure or something.

At this rate, Thailand should hit ZPG very soon... but what a nasty way to go. :o

--TNA 2006-05-31

Holy Cow George! That sounds a bit on the unreal side. I wonder how that would compare to the number of daily road fatalities?

Of all of my Thai friends (there are many), I only know one Thai man who doesn't smoke. I see very young kids lighting up all the time too. It can't be from a lack of education as the government, in my opinion, is putting out plenty of info. Perhaps it's some sort of peer pressure or something.

At this rate, Thailand should hit ZPG very soon... but what a nasty way to go. :D

I don't smoke but they try to blame everything on smoking.I would think the Bangkok smog is as bad as smoking.we are all going to die so big deal! :o:D:D

At this rate, Thailand should hit ZPG very soon... but what a nasty way to go. :D

I don't smoke but they try to blame everything on smoking.I would think the Bangkok smog is as bad as smoking.we are all going to die so big deal! :D:D:D

Was in a cafe the other day for an early morning cuppa but had to leave when it was invaded by all these "chavvy" mumsies and their little off spring..

No real objection to the bairns but found it a wee bit disconcerting the way the "Maters" were intent on trying to shorten their poor kids brief life spans by trying to infuse as much cigarette smoke into their lungs in as short of time as possible.

It got me out of the stinking atmosphere ...mean thinks ...maybe thats why the sprogs were crying :o but as you say.....

Perhaps it's some sort of peer pressure or something.

No, just ignorance.

I would think the Bangkok smog is as bad as smoking.

There are no comparison on the concentration you get from a whiff directly from a cigarette into your lungs and then the Bangkok air - pollution or not.

we are all going to die so big deal!

Well if you are a smoker, tell us that line again once you have the big-C.

dont know about tghe Japs but Maos lads have got the hint....... :o

Chinese government is planning a Tobacco-Free Olympics

It is going to come as a shock to tens of millions of lungs, but the Chinese government is planning a tobacco-free Olympics when the world's heaviest smoking nation hosts the event in 2008.

Long used to breathing some of the most polluted air in the world, Beijingers will get some respite during the Games as a result of measures revealed yesterday that will ban smoking on public transport and indoor workplaces.

Coming after the earlier announcement of plans to restrict traffic and close building sites for the duration of the Olympics, the plan underlines the host's concerns that the city's foul environment could spoil the most important party the country has ever organised.

"Let a smokeless games provide healthy competition, a healthy environment and a healthy lifestyle," the health ministry said in a news release.

The ministry gave few details about how it aims to achieve this goal, apart from stating that facilities serving children would be the first to get a no-smoking ban. Whatever the restrictions, they are likely to be difficult to maintain beyond the fortnight of the games.

With 350 million smokers - more than a quarter of the world total - China is hooked on nicotine. Six in 10 men are regular smokers. About a million people die of smoking-related diseases every year and the government forecasts this could triple in the next 50 years.

"People lack a basic understanding of the risks of smoking," the health ministry said in a report to the World Health Organisation.

The Olympic organisers, however, have a big incentive to clean up the city's air - at least while the attention of the world is on Beijing. The government sees the 2008 Games as a coming-out party for a nation that has emerged from a century of humiliation and chaos to become one of the most powerful economies on the planet.

Preparations are in full swing. The municipal government has even launched a drive to clean up the manners of the population, including anti-spitting patrols, etiquette lessons for hotel staff and an English guidebook for taxi drivers and police.

Useful links

Chinese government gateway site

Human rights in China

China Daily

South China Morning Post

China Times

I would think the Bangkok smog is as bad as smoking.

There are no comparison on the concentration you get from a whiff directly from a cigarette into your lungs and then the Bangkok air - pollution or not.

Bangkok smoke is worse than smoking IMO.

I lived there for 10 years and was sick often. 2 years out of Bkk and I haven't been sick once.

I have lots of friends/colleagues who died below 50, due to, I think, the terrible air.

I tried to quit smoking 3 days ago - On Monday, I lasted until 11pm then had 3, Tuesday same, yesterday only 2. I think I can do it. Even if I keep it to 2 a day - what a difference.

But seriously, bangkok seriously damages your health - it's stupid someone living there(especially Sukhumwit Road/ Silom/Ramkhamhaeng) complaining about second-hand smoke. man, standing at a bus stop was a nightmare at Prakanong. :o

Get out of Bangkok and don't kill yourself and your kids. Very selfish of parents, especially babies, IMO.