Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

Failed to board

Four passengers on flight 370 failed to board after checking in their luggage, which raised further suspicion about the passengers after the plane disappeared.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/no-wreckage-of-malaysia-flight-mh370-found-says-airline-20140310-hvgs6.html#ixzz2vXElXuYr

Where in this link does it say anything about passengers failing to board?
It is in the live Guardian report of the press conference

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Failed to board

Four passengers on flight 370 failed to board after checking in their luggage, which raised further suspicion about the passengers after the plane disappeared.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/no-wreckage-of-malaysia-flight-mh370-found-says-airline-20140310-hvgs6.html#ixzz2vXElXuYr

Scroll down, it's next to the photo of the maybe door.-wai2.gif

Failed to board

1/3 of the way down the page.

Failed to board

Sorry...I just reread and missed that.

It does say that standard practice of removing luggage was done.

As much as we all want to be optimistic about the outcome, is there anyone on this board who realistically thinks that the authorities are still conducting a search and rescue, and not a search and recovery?

That pretty much sums up the way I felt when I turned on the Oz news on Sunday morning and they still hadnt found any sign of the aircraft. We aren't talking the middle of the Pacific here - the (now discounted) 'turnaround' theory aside, the plane went down at the bottom of the Gulf of Thailand. Reportedly fine weather plus Vietnamese, Malaysian and Thai fishermen, commercial ships, air traffic galore and a heavily populated coastline : my reasoning was that yellow liferafts - or even lifejackets - would be easily visible from miles away. Throw in the lack of any communication from passengers or crew and it seems a fait accompli for mine.

Failed to board

1/3 of the way down the page.

Failed to board

Sorry...I just reread and missed that.

It does say that standard practice of removing luggage was done.

More and more questions for all involved and not too many chances to find the debris of the plane. Almost unbelievable. -

As much as we all want to be optimistic about the outcome, is there anyone on this board who realistically thinks that the authorities are still conducting a search and rescue, and not a search and recovery?

That pretty much sums up the way I felt when I turned on the Oz news on Sunday morning and they still hadnt found any sign of the aircraft. We aren't talking the middle of the Pacific here - the (now discounted) 'turnaround' theory aside, the plane went down at the bottom of the Gulf of Thailand. Reportedly fine weather plus Vietnamese, Malaysian and Thai fishermen, commercial ships, air traffic galore and a heavily populated coastline : my reasoning was that yellow liferafts - or even lifejackets - would be easily visible from miles away. Throw in the lack of any communication from passengers or crew and it seems a fait accompli for mine.

How could anybody on board have the time to put on a life jacket, when the pilots couldn't even make a Mayday call?

A few things about these suspicious unknown travelers should just jump right off the page.

Other than the Stolen Passports:

1. They bought One Way Tickets in Pattaya, Thailand on 6, March for a flight from Kuala Lumphur less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure at about 12:30 am 7, March. It is also been reported that 2 other Travelers on this ill fated flight bought tickets jointly, or at the same time in Pattaya with these 2 Suspicious Persons.

2. They did not buy tickets on Malaysian Airlines from Bangkok to Kuala Lumphur as part of their ticket itinerary. It is often the same price or cheaper to include the flight from BKK to KL when traveling on a Long Distance International journey to Europe, the US, and parts of Asia with MAL.

3. How did these "Suspicious Travelers" travel from Thailand to KL in such a short time if not booked on the connecting MAL flight from BKK.

And why would they pay more to travel another way other than fly MAL from BKK to KL with such a short time from ticketing to departure from KL ?

4. How did they get from Pattaya to KL in such a short period of time ?

5. Their ticketed layover in China to Europe is reported to have been 10 hours.

Why would anyone traveling such a long journey within a short time of ticketing book a flight with a 10 hour layover ? There are definitely different decent priced tickets available with a better routing and layover schedule. I agree, this is subjective, but a fact to look at. Most travelers would not opt for this routing schedule unless significantly cheaper than all alternatives.

There are a lot more questions to be answered about these "Suspicious Travelers". They could have been used by others to carry items onto the flight(s) or traveled for a variety of other improper purposes.

The passengers would not have been in Pattaya or Thailand at all. One can easily purchase an e ticket online from dozens of thai travel agents. When I buy ticket from Thailand to Europe or US, I shop around online and see what is available. Sometimes I end up with tickets issues in Thailand, sometimes Europe and occasionally even Russia.

But... This does leave a payment trail, as the tickets had to be paid for. Only anonymous solution would be for an accomplice in Pattaya to hand over cash at the travel agent.

The apparent lack of any radio signal or automatic transmission from the highly sophisticated plane make one wonder if an EMR device could cause such an event???

Could an EMR device in checked luggage or perhaps an EMR device externally that targeted the plane or was being tested have done this?

Any physicists or other qualified people that could reflect on this?

I assume you mean EMP not EMR and the answer is no. The amount of energy and the sophistication of the triggering system would be huge to generate a non-nuclear EMP sufficient to disable all electronic systems. The highest energy EMP device that planes encounter regularly is lightning and it has very little effect on the aircraft. The hull of the aircraft acts as a Faraday shield also so localized (internal) EMP would be dissipated via skin effect similar but not quite the same as lightning travels on the skin of a plane.

As for qualifications, I have worked in nuclear physics for over 30 years and work with high voltage, high energy systems professionally and as a hobby. Designed and built several Tesla coils, rail guns, high power induction systems and a table top EMP device just for fun. wink.png

The apparent lack of any radio signal or automatic transmission from the highly sophisticated plane make one wonder if an EMR device could cause such an event???

Could an EMR device in checked luggage or perhaps an EMR device externally that targeted the plane or was being tested have done this?

I assume you mean EMP not EMR and the answer is no. The amount of energy and the sophistication of the triggering system would be huge to generate a non-nuclear EMP sufficient to disable all electronic systems. The highest energy EMP device that planes encounter regularly is lighting and it has very little effect on the aircraft. The hull of the aircraft acts as a Faraday shield also so localized (internal) EMP would be dissipated via skin effect similar but not quite the same as lightning travels on the skin of a plane.

As for qualifications, I have worked in nuclear physics for over 30 years and work with high voltage, high energy systems professionally and as a hobby. Designed and built several tesla coils, rail guns, high power induction systems and a table top EMP device just for fun. wink.png

The luggage for the missed passengers was unloaded and screened then returned to the passengers according to the article.

Not relevent to this Thaiwais but how do composites in aircraft affect the old metal skinned faraday cage premise?

I assume you mean EMP not EMR and the answer is no. The amount of energy and the sophistication of the triggering system would be huge to generate a non-nuclear EMP sufficient to disable all electronic systems. The highest energy EMP device that planes encounter regularly is lighting and it has very little effect on the aircraft. The hull of the aircraft acts as a Faraday shield also so localized (internal) EMP would be dissipated via skin effect similar but not quite the same as lightning travels on the skin of a plane.

As for qualifications, I have worked in nuclear physics for over 30 years and work with high voltage, high energy systems professionally and as a hobby. Designed and built several tesla coils, rail guns, high power induction systems and a table top EMP device just for fun. wink.png

"

The range of NNEMP weapons (non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse bombs) is much less than nuclear EMP. Nearly all NNEMP devices used as weapons require chemical explosives as their initial energy source, producing only 10−6 (one millionth) the energy of nuclear explosives of similar weight.[4] The electromagnetic pulse from NNEMP weapons must come from within the weapon, while nuclear weapons generate EMP as a secondary effect.[5] These facts limit the range of NNEMP weapons, but allow finer target discrimination. The effect of small e-bombs has proven to be sufficient for certain terrorist or military operations. Examples of such operations include the destruction of electronic control systems critical to the operation of many ground vehicles and aircraft.[6]

The concept of the explosively pumped flux compression generator for generating a non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse was conceived as early as 1951 by Andrei Sakharov in the Soviet Union,[7] but nations kept work on non-nuclear EMP classified until similar ideas emerge in other nations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Edited by atyclb

Failed to board

They were certainly the four lucky ones.

OK. This is "out there" and based of other hypothesis and some of my own thoughts over the past 48 hours.

1. Crashed. Still no evidence. Obviously this will take some time but if nothing comes up by the end of the week we can assume that they did not crash where they are searching or they simply did not crash. Why they crashed is not really of issue to my hypothesis.

2. Hijacking without purpose of crashing. I will explain, shortly, why we might not have heard. Plane disappears from normal plane tracking "radar" (I now know more about radar than I did before but not enough...it would seem). If this plane is still flying then we are talking about a hijacker turning off all signals (transponders and the like) and taking the plane down to a low altitude. Plenty of people have said that this would require amazing flying skills...plenty of people have those...including the 2 chaps already in the cockpit.

So, we have a plane flying low, in an unknown direction full of, mainly, people from China or Chinese ethnicity. Where can it go? I do not know about whether it can be detected but can hypothesise about whether anybody is TRYING to detect it. So what is within KL-Beijing + 2 hours (the fuel on board) distance? Xinjiang certainly is. With the MASSIVE terrorist attack in Kunming on March 1st there was no announcement to claim the attack. The claiming was done by the media and the government.

In this, incredibly unlikely, turn of events where is the use for the terrorists? VERY simple. We're all talking about this incredible mystery. We're all focussed on it. That is what terrorism (I am using a vastly over-used word there) is meant to do. It is not the process of killing that is the aim...it is the attention garnered.

Lets move forward a short while. Lets hypothesise that another plane goes missing in similar circumstances. Now where are the hearts and minds of the world's population? In the hands of the organising group. Where are they? Communicating with the right people...not us.

-------------------

Please understand that I feel we are dealing with wreckage here but every moment that passes makes me question that more and more. I'm sure we're all the same. Of course this plane has crashed (whether terrorist, mechanical or pilot error) but each moment that passes with an increasing amount of resources turning up nothing makes us ask questions.

What if this plane hasn't crashed?

Please can the experts step forward and put me back in my box. I know the I might be giving Clancy a run for his money here but we do tend to just "compartmentalise" a downed plane (nasty though it is). 239 people missing without a trace? That stuff sticks.

(I know I'm going to regret pressing post)

Edited by draftvader

The luggage for the missed passengers was unloaded and screened then returned to the passengers according to the article.

Not relevent to this Thaiwais but how do composites in aircraft affect the old metal skinned faraday cage premise?

As it relates to lightning, the composite material has either a metal mesh or wires in it to conduct the lightning pulse. Depending on the distance in mesh or between the wires it can still perform as a faraday shield but full spectrum frequency attenuation may not occur.

But we digress as to the topic as there was no bad weather reported and a physical EMP device is not realistic and lightning hasn't brought a plane down in I believe 50 years. The only other EMP device besides all electronic, non-nuclear, requires a high power explosive to initiate it and that makes the EMP part of the equation academic. wink.png

//edit - see the answer to my reference to the NEMP class device has been supplied above.

Interpol reveals their stolen passport database wasn't checked.

How often does this happen? Should be cross referenced every flight automatically imo, quite shocking and pathetic.

What's the point of even having an interpol database if we don't use them?

I think Interpol is being somewhat disingenuous here. I read in another Report that the Interpol Database is not accessible to Airlines or other private entitles - only to National Police and, possibly, Immigration.

If true it would seem that urgent changes should be made to that policy.

Patrick

Interpol reveals their stolen passport database wasn't checked.

How often does this happen? Should be cross referenced every flight automatically imo, quite shocking and pathetic.

What's the point of even having an interpol database if we don't use them?

I think Interpol is being somewhat disingenuous here. I read in another Report that the Interpol Database is not accessible to Airlines or other private entitles - only to National Police and, possibly, Immigration.

If true it would seem that urgent changes should be made to that policy.

Patrick

It is covered as per the Interpol website:

Stolen and Lost Travel Documents – holds information on more than 39 million travel documents reported lost or stolen by 166 countries. This database enables INTERPOL National Central Bureaus and other authorized law enforcement entities (such as immigration and border control officers) to ascertain the validity of a suspect travel document in seconds.

Interpol

Seriously, we have no answers as of yet and as an American I can tell you that it would not be outside the realm of possibility that this plane was taken down by many governments in cooperation due to the nature that 20 of the worlds leading scientists and engineers that had been perfecting an electric car died in this crash. America is well known and established as the country to go to to get a job like this done. Many nations would loose a ridiculous amount of money if we all stopped using fossil fuels. The rich don't want to be poor so collateral damage is just what it would come down to in their office meetings. This is not a conspiracy theory anymore than the idea of it just vanishing without a trace. They control the media and this is a prime example that they control everything else as well. 2+2=4 We all know who "they" are.

Edited by Solditallandmovedhere

Failed to board

They were certainly the four lucky ones.
Generally speaking: Why would you check in and not board? Normal or not? If they checked their identities

must be known, no?

Edited by laolover88

Seriously, we have no answers as of yet and as an American I can tell you that it would not be outside the realm of possibility that this plane was taken down by many governments in cooperation due to the nature that 20 of the worlds leading scientists and engineers that had been perfecting an electric car died in this crash. America is well known and established as the country to go to to get a job like this done. Many nations would loose a ridiculous amount of money if we all stopped using fossil fuels. The rich don't want to be poor so collateral damage is just want it would come down to in their office meetings. This is not a conspiracy theory anymore than the idea of it just vanishing without a trace. They control the media and this is a prime example that they control everything else as well. 2+2=4 We all know who "they" are.

"This is not a conspiracy theory"

Sure fooled me. Just like the theory the team had stealth technology on board and made the plane disappear. Suggestion, cut back on the scifi and conspiracy movies.

I wondered why 'they' called you the mad scientist. ;)

It's common for people to check in, not board, and then always luggage is removed. That isn't an issue here.

Next ...

For historical reference, that policy came into full force after the Lockerbie bombing even though it was a policy then, Pan Am did not follow it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK. This is "out there" and based of other hypothesis and some of my own thoughts over the past 48 hours.

1. Crashed. Still no evidence. Obviously this will take some time but if nothing comes up by the end of the week we can assume that they did not crash where they are searching or they simply did not crash. Why they crashed is not really of issue to my hypothesis.

2. Hijacking without purpose of crashing. I will explain, shortly, why we might not have heard. Plane disappears from normal plane tracking "radar" (I now know more about radar than I did before but not enough...it would seem). If this plane is still flying then we are talking about a hijacker turning off all signals (transponders and the like) and taking the plane down to a low altitude. Plenty of people have said that this would require amazing flying skills...plenty of people have those...including the 2 chaps already in the cockpit.

So, we have a plane flying low, in an unknown direction full of, mainly, people from China or Chinese ethnicity. Where can it go? I do not know about whether it can be detected but can hypothesise about whether anybody is TRYING to detect it. So what is within KL-Beijing + 2 hours (the fuel on board) distance? Xinjiang certainly is. With the MASSIVE terrorist attack in Kunming on March 1st there was no announcement to claim the attack. The claiming was done by the media and the government.

In this, incredibly unlikely, turn of events where is the use for the terrorists? VERY simple. We're all talking about this incredible mystery. We're all focussed on it. That is what terrorism (I am using a vastly over-used word there) is meant to do. It is not the process of killing that is the aim...it is the attention garnered.

Lets move forward a short while. Lets hypothesise that another plane goes missing in similar circumstances. Now where are the hearts and minds of the world's population? In the hands of the organising group. Where are they? Communicating with the right people...not us.

-------------------

Please understand that I feel we are dealing with wreckage here but every moment that passes makes me question that more and more. I'm sure we're all the same. Of course this plane has crashed (whether terrorist, mechanical or pilot error) but each moment that passes with an increasing amount of resources turning up nothing makes us ask questions.

What if this plane hasn't crashed?

Please can the experts step forward and put me back in my box. I know the I might be giving Clancy a run for his money here but we do tend to just "compartmentalise" a downed plane (nasty though it is). 239 people missing without a trace? That stuff sticks.

(I know I'm going to regret pressing post)

Totally valid perspectives.

It's common for people to check in, not board, and then always luggage is removed. That isn't an issue here.

Next ...

Correct. There's laws that relate to this. Normally when it happens the plane is late for departure as they retrieve the luggage, but I think this plane almost left as scheduled.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seriously, we have no answers as of yet and as an American I can tell you that it would not be outside the realm of possibility that this plane was taken down by many governments in cooperation due to the nature that 20 of the worlds leading scientists and engineers that had been perfecting an electric car died in this crash. America is well known and established as the country to go to to get a job like this done. Many nations would loose a ridiculous amount of money if we all stopped using fossil fuels. The rich don't want to be poor so collateral damage is just want it would come down to in their office meetings. This is not a conspiracy theory anymore than the idea of it just vanishing without a trace. They control the media and this is a prime example that they control everything else as well. 2+2=4 We all know who "they" are.

"This is not a conspiracy theory"

Sure fooled me. Just like the theory the team had stealth technology on board and made the plane disappear. Suggestion, cut back on the scifi and conspiracy movies.

I suppose you think the Boston Bombing was a real terrorist attack too ehh?coffee1.gif

One designed to damage electrical systems in the plane or simply interfere with communications?

If the former, circuitry on planes is heavily shielded, it would take a tremendous amount of radiation to damage all of a plane's electrical systems.

If the latter, it would need to continually transmit at similar frequencies to the communications systems which itself would be picked up and could in fact be used to locate the jet.

Next ...

Correct. There's laws that relate to this. Normally when it happens the plane is late for departure as they retrieve the luggage, but I think this plane almost left as scheduled.

So you don't think they are just saying the luggage was retrieved to save their &lt;deleted&gt;

Anyhow, let's move foward. I'm flying to Bkk via KL in 2 weeks. Can't help but feel very nervous. My wife looks pale at the thought of it. Nearly flew with Malaysia but booked with Air Asia instead. Hearts pumping faster just thinking about it.

I dont feel at all nervous - every time I climb into a plane I just accept that it's potentially a dangerous undertaking, but the statistics are still much better than road travel. As for changing airlines, I dont see how that's warranted - MAS has a good safety record in recent years and the 777 is still regarded by pilots as a very well designed aircraft. If there was a failure here, it would appear to be security at KLIA, not the way MAS operates its fleet. For a pilot with 18,000 flying hours to put an aircraft into the sea (again, speculation at this stage) with zero warning seems to support the theory that there was an explosion - hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

FWIW, AA seems to cop more flak on TV than any other airline in the region - that hasnt worried me in the past and it wont worry me in April when I get on the plane.

In fact statistics will now point to MAS being FAR safer. Very simply put statistics (in particular ratios) are based on "x" per "y" number of repeats. The event has happened meaning that, statistically, MAS now has to fly "y" again to experience "x". Sadly statistics don't work like that BUT having just had a major event take place you can GUARANTEE that the engineering department is on overtime and people are doing their jobs properly just in case the finger gets pointed in that direction (the wing tip issue or other unknown engineering issue). A little bit of horses and gates but we all know the local servicing mentality of "if it ain't broke don't fix". This one is broken and now they'll be fixing all the others!!

Otherwise known as the 'lightening doesn't strike twice' principle. Chances of this happening are greater than one in a million, in any event (MAS 120,000 flights per year, previous fatalities 19 years ago)

Next ...

So you don't think they are just saying the luggage was retrieved to save their &lt;deleted&gt;

Given the bizarre nature of all this it might well be an issue. If people did not board it would surely have

delayed the plane. So they presumably checked in and changed their minds well before departure? Who were they and why

did they do it?

Be good to know