Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

RT @mpoppel: WSJ sources: U.S. officials investigating possibility missing airliner was diverted toward undisclosed location with transponder turned off

Did they get that idea from my post about 30 pages ago? I thought I sounded too Clancy....but then again Clancy scared the US Government with his accuracy to the point where they just gave him what he asked for.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Malaysia is still saying the plane was south of Phuket, and China is saying they

may have discovered the wreckage off Vietnam..... No wonder the sleuths here

on TV , including myself, are having a hard time coming up with a reasonable

explanation. Guess we just have to keep waiting. Two planes ? Oh sorry,

could not resist.

No, it is actually an extremely misleading headline. The statement referenced in the first line of the article was from yesterday and the article references it as saying "...what could have been the jetliner ..." Which is stated inaccurately with certainty in the headline as "Missing Flight MH370 strayed to south of Phuket, Malaysia military says".

They should have said something less definitive like "..may have strayed.." or something else since there's not been a definite identification that the unknown aircraft was that flight. The headline doesn't match the first sentence.

"Malaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area south of Phuket, hundreds of miles to the west of its last known position, the country's air force chief said yesterday."

"the linked page appears to be an attack site (at least for Android systems) and tries to install a fake app store to your tablet or phone :-( "

You're right, that link to the oil rig worker's letter that I posted yesterday has since been compromised by hackers. DON'T CLICK ON IT! It still works on a PC but has been altered to cause mischief on Android phones and devices.

I've posted a .jpg image of the letter below.

If the recent news of the Chinese satellite photos turns out to identify the actual site of the crash, the letter from the oil rig worker will prove to be the first piece of accurate information to surface on the crash site - two days ago!

And, you saw it here first while the wild goose chase was underway in the Malacca Straits smile.png

See post #1284

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/page-52#entry7552811

post-53404-0-20982800-1394687141_thumb.j

Whatever this turns out to be.....interesting that a Chinese satellite spots something that a US one did not or,

if it did, did not reveal!

Most of the people on the plane were Chinese. It's not important to the US to find the plane.

Please note that there were indeed US nationals on that plane. 1 adult and 2 children. There were also pax from India, Indonesia, Australia, the United States, France, New Zealand, Ukraine, Canada, Russia and the Netherlands in addition to the Chinese and Malaysian nationals. You are probably unaware, but the transport safety community regularly shares information and will either participate in an unofficial capacity or closely observe other countries air incidents. This is done because of the learning opportunity and because of the impact it has on the respective countries' own air fleets.

As has been pointed out, Boeing is a U.S. based manufacturer, and the U.S. safety investigators as well as the manufacturer have an obligation to participate. Because of the wide use of the B777, you can bet the investigators from all of the implicated countries are closely following this event.

Seems they haven't properly confirmed or denied it:

Vietnamese officials later dismissed 'McKay's' account. He could not be contacted to verify any information and the Vietnamese later announced they were not treating the information seriously.

However ABC's Bob Woodruff confirmed he spoke to Idemitsu Oil & Gas Co, the company currently hiring the rig, who confirmed the report is genuine.

Seems they haven't properly confirmed or denied it:

Vietnamese officials later dismissed 'McKay's' account. He could not be contacted to verify any information and the Vietnamese later announced they were not treating the information seriously.

However ABC's Bob Woodruff confirmed he spoke to Idemitsu Oil & Gas Co, the company currently hiring the rig, who confirmed the report is genuine.

Reading the email he sent - does not make me feel its made-up.

It is very professional and detailed but at the same time written in a normal language. Why should or how could somebody make an email like that up? - i dont think so

My bet is that this email is the key to finding the plane

Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours - Wall Street Journal

So, it looks like there is a strong possibility this plane did continue flying without an issue. Perhaps the turnaround and Melaccan Straits data isn't an aberration. My original guess was that they continue North through the Bay of Bengal. Somebody has suggested a Nicobar island but I feel this is too limiting for forward options. Flying over Western Myanmar or Bangladesh, then Sikkim, over the Himalayas, over Tibet and into Western China. Which region will gain the most from holding a huge quantity of Chinese Nationals to ransom?

According to a poster on Pprune forums, the engine data is transmitted with ACARS data.

Therefore for Rolls Royce to have the engine data MAS ought to by default have the other ACARS flight data since the engine data is disseminated from it. Apparently its sent through the same communications system. - at least that's what seems to be being implied.

Edited by Pomthai

According to a poster on Pprune forums, the engine data is transmitted with ACARS data.

Therefore for Rolls Royce to have the engine data MAS ought to by default have the other ACARS flight data since the engine data is disseminated from it. Apparently its sent through the same communications system. - at least that's what seems to be being implied.

Yes MAS should have as does RR. Boeing however has not right to have collected it as MAS opted out of a sharing agreement. The article specifically mentioned Boeing as the source of the data.

I thought I saw somewhere that MAS doesn't have ACARS on their 777?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours - Wall Street Journal

So, it looks like there is a strong possibility this plane did continue flying without an issue. Perhaps the turnaround and Melaccan Straits data isn't an aberration. My original guess was that they continue North through the Bay of Bengal. Somebody has suggested a Nicobar island but I feel this is too limiting for forward options. Flying over Western Myanmar or Bangladesh, then Sikkim, over the Himalayas, over Tibet and into Western China. Which region will gain the most from holding a huge quantity of Chinese Nationals to ransom?

I guess in the very near future data transmited from the engines will also include position info, for good measure,,,

So the proverbial needle in the haystack is pretty easy in comparison.

Not only have they not located the needle, it is possible they don't even know where the haystack is.

And in more breaking news, Malaysia Airlines announced it will be retiring flight number MH370 from the route.

"As a mark of respect to the passengers and crew of MH370 on 8 March 2014, the MH370 and MH371 flight codes will be retired from the Malaysia Airlines' Kuala Lumpur-Beijing-Kuala Lumpur route," the airline issued in a statement.

Story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia-airlines-search-response-angers-wife-of-missing-perth-man-20140313-34oit.html

Desperate relatives will no doubt be touched by such a warm gesture.

If there was some kind of problem with the electrical system that managed to take out all their transponders, navigation and communication equipment and the plane had continued to fly for hours afterwards, it wouldn't have affected the (probably) hundreds of smart phones/iPads/Tablets that people would have been using.

People on that hijacked flight in during 9/11 managed to make calls before they crashed. I'm sure that unless it was an instantaneous, catastrophic event, plenty of people on that plane would have been making calls and sending text messages, if for no other reason than to let people at the other end know they was a problem or delay.

(And you know that despite all the pre-flight announcements, plenty of people keep their phones/tablets active in flight. I've been trying to find a map showing mobile coverage to see where the a/c would have to be before it was out of areas covered by any mobile networks.)

I also recall the one article in which the pilot of an a/c approx. 30 minutes ahead of MH370 was asked by Vietnamese ATC to contact the other plane. That would indicate that their ATC knew the flight was in their airspace but normal contact hadn't been made.

An unidentified aircraft, not responding to ATC, heading into Vietnamese airspace.........

<p>

12 March 2014 Last updated at 23:54Share this page

Malaysia Airlines MH370: China in new 'debris' clue_73545364_73545362.jpghttp://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26554875
That is the best resolution of a Chinese satellite ??? Think they have a lot of catching up to do.On a side note, I thought this area was already heavily searched ? In any event I hope thatthat wreckage is indeed found, to solve the mystery.

Look at it this way the US statelites found nothing. At this stage it doesn't matter who finds, what is left of the plane, it must just be found to get answers.

There are people like us thats booked on Malaysia Airlines in 3 weeks time on a 777-200 on a 11 hour flight. As our tickets was bought on a promo we will lose our money if we cancel. A hell of a position to be in.

If it is found it may take years to determine the causes of the incident, if ever. If you're booked on Malaysia or another airline using the same plane in the foreseeable future, I'd say just man up and be rational, the ride to the airport is going to MUCH MORE dangerous ...

Heavy movment of military yets (can be lighter scouting jets) , third day in sri lanka towards niccobar islands to the east. Also in the South More ships from Diego Garcia (the american base) is moving to the east of indian ocean according to local news. But no reason stated by the American embassy why or if they going to search for the missing yet.

Edited by Don Johan Negombo

So, now, the story goes, does it? China has dumped some large debris in the sea without anyone knowing, and taken a

satellite pic of it in a resolution which it has scrambled and which no other satellite has

picked up on; is that it?. You can bet the US has a huge interest in finding the plane!

US investigators are pursuing the possibility that missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and its 239 passengers and crew are being held against their will at an unknown location.

The Wall Street Journal has this afternoon published sensational claims that counterterrorism officials now believe somebody on board deliberately turned off the plane’s transponders to avoid radar detection.

Full story here.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-and-passengers-being-held-hostage-in-new-theory/story-fnizu68q-1226853195656

SO much crap is being banded around. Obviously blatant lies are being told as there is simply no logics in the conflicting reports. Certainly adds fuel to the claims from conspiracy loonies.

Next conspiracy theory I can see coming is that maybe Eddie Snowden was on the plane and the US shot it down, so therefore the silence and conflicting illogical reports. That by coincidence followed a US TV interview with Snowden shown on US TV to indicate he was still in Russia and the inept US Congress tried to silence to bring it to public attention more!! ???. Hey I am not a conspiracy loonie at all but just gave that as an example of what stories can easily be put together that Joe public will sheeplike latch onto.

Whatever something is so wrong here and smells of the general public being fobbed off (and badly as the US usually do) with wild conflicting illogical stories for some possible, and seems likely now, covert reasons.

It might be that the US ships are going to check for Cocos islands ? ...would be a perfect location to land a plane in some of these small islands ...maybee they know some places with a old airstrip and allready prepared hostage taking in a hangar and yes...what a story..

I starting more and more to belive this is a totall hoax, maybee de plane never went down just moved back and landed and the passangers are hostage in malaysia

US investigators are pursuing the possibility that missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and its 239 passengers and crew are being held against their will at an unknown location.

The Wall Street Journal has this afternoon published sensational claims that counterterrorism officials now believe somebody on board deliberately turned off the planes transponders to avoid radar detection.

Full story here.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-and-passengers-being-held-hostage-in-new-theory/story-fnizu68q-1226853195656

Well I wonder if the CIA/NSA has ever come up with this one to work out what it means.

Beginning to look like the Ockham's Razor theory was right!

Anti - razor.... wai2.gif

"Occam's Razor has met some opposition from people who have considered it too extreme or rash. [/size]Walter Chatton (c. 12901343) was a contemporary of William of Ockham (c. 12871347) who took exception to Occam's Razor and Ockham's use of it. In response he devised his own anti-razor: "If three things are not enough to verify an affirmative proposition about things, a fourth must be added, and so on."[/size]

And we will be on to the haecceity of individual planes and their destinies next! Duns Scotus, of course, flew,always

on Scottish Airways, cleric class. Mind you in spite of him we could do with a bit of Illuminationism now!

The Wall Street Journal has this afternoon published sensational claims that counterterrorism officials now believe somebody on board deliberately turned off the plane’s transponders to avoid radar detection.

Full story here.

Transponders do not help you avoid radar in any way.

They do prevent tracking of location by transponder receiver systems.

If you are in range of a radar system it gets your reflection, if not you are effectively invisible.

And more so if you have stealth treatments to the planes body. Which is not the case.

What IS most interesting is the Boeing monitoring system automatically getting engine info,

for satellite long after the plane has left the normal flight info grid. What is not clear is

if this is received by one satellite, or multiple, which would allow angle correlation and tracking.

I imagine some tech head is looking at the data and it's in stream transmission nodes for any info on source location, even if it it is one location at a time,

Edited by animatic

Full story here.

Transponders do not help you avoid radar in any way.

They do prevent tracking of location by transponder receiver systems.

If you are in range of a radar system it gets your reflection, if not you are effectively invisible.

And more so if you have stealth treatments to the planes body. Which is not the case.

What IS most interesting is the Boeing monitoring system automatically getting engine info,

for satellite long after the plane has left the normal flight info grid. What is not clear is

if this is received by one satellite, or multiple, which would allow angle correlation and tracking.

The aeroplane was outside primary radar range when it went missing so turning off the transponder will definately allow it to avoid radar.

It might be that the US ships are going to check for Cocos islands ? ...would be a perfect location to land a plane in some of these small islands ...maybee they know some places with a old airstrip and allready prepared hostage taking in a hangar and yes...what a story..

I starting more and more to belive this is a totall hoax, maybee de plane never went down just moved back and landed and the passangers are hostage in malaysia

You have to consider the possibility that the Chinese did not want to go back to Tianjin and the Malaysians did not wantto go there either