Amazing Thailand: I'm still amazed when dining here

junglechef

I know TIT and all but this is a new one for me. This is a bill from one of the small nicer restaurants next to the food court in the Lotus across from Meechok. It's 15 bht for a a 500 ml bottle of Singha water and the it says "Free Ice". Then there is a 3 bht charge for "Glass". Had to ask (of course if your familiar with my posts) and was told that there was a charge for the plastic glass that they put the free ice in. Why? Because it costs them. As I was dining there (my one plate of food for just myself was 190 bht which was on another check). I would understand if it was for take-out (maybe) or a 20 bht meal where a few baht might be a larger percent of the profit. The guy was very nice and when I asked if he had ever seen this anywhere else before he said no but said it was franchise policy. Won't even mention if they ask if I wanted (to buy) a plastic cup especially considering the water came in a plastic container. Actually I think he was gesturing to give me the 3 bht back but I didn't care about the money and told him so. It actually added a nice bit of comic relief to my dining experience so I thought I'd share with my friends at TV so they could also share in my amusement.

post-101742-0-74062700-1394277120_thumb.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

If that was a Som Tam / Isan Food restaurant this should not ever be a franchise. tongue.png

If that was a Som Tam / Isan Food restaurant this should not ever be a franchise. tongue.png

But I agree that the 'Glass (Free Ice) - 3 Baht' is extremely silly. You'd almost want to bring your own glass just to see the response.

On the other hand, I suppose if the ice is free you could get ice refills for free; is that the deal?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Don't know the deal or if there even was a deal as I only found out about it once I received my bill. But if I had my family with me as usual (the kids got a special treat as it was the last day of school so they had a quick bite at the food court so they could spend time playing arcade games which was the reason we were there in the first place) it would have been around a 1000 bht plus 12 unexpected bht for glasses. It sounds like a rip-off to me now that I put it that way!

I have similar experiences in restaurants in Isaan. In one restaurant they charged every time a different price for exactly the same food, depending who was making check bill. So I asked, why I yesterday paid less. They reduced the bill. They did not mind if you bring your own beer (Hatcha, not available in most restaurants) from the supermarket, but charged 15 Baht for the ice, never mind. On the other hand, in some food stalls in the Chiang Mai night market they forget to bill you, you have to run after the staff for paying the bill. Amazing Thailand.

Another funny thing is that in Thailand you have to pay the hotel room when doing check-in. In most other Asian countries you pay when checking out or during your stay.

What did you eat that costs 190b in a food court? Unless you mean you chewed on a tower of beer?

Slowly slowly, no need for vulgar chat abbreviations. I wrote "one of the small nicer restaurants next to the food court".

Ate at Wine Connection Promenada 2 days ago-we were the only 2 customers and were there for 90 mins at lunch time-sad as its a nice place with good food.

But we fell foul of the 'Pasta and soft drink for 149baht' promotion- I guess intended to attract customers to try the place.

So we ordered canneloni - 'Oh, not included promotion'. Right, so we switched to Lasagne- 'oh, not included in Promotion' . So then we checked out what was and had a carbonara and a sea food spag. Both very good. Chose from the soft drink page and ordered soda and lemon. When the bill came I had been charged 45baht for the 'free' soft drink. Only then was I told 'not included in promotion' . So we paid and asked for the manager for a quick chat about how we felt about his promotion. Manager - no have!! (but at least the ice was free!!!)

A classic business school model maybe about how a biggish company invests millions in a very smart, large restaurant and then blows it all on a badly executed and badly communicated promotion.

Maybe also a clue as to why we were the only diners, even allowing for the low footfall in Promenada.

• Like 2

Promotions here mean nothing....wife went to local branch of the friendly clown to get artificial food for niece's birthday..had allready printed form internet their promotion....got told no had to order that on the call centre in Bangkok.l.....nothing on the promotion about that....

I note the same company on its corporate page will not accept complaints about non US stores. The one thing I did respect with that company before was its cleanliness and its control but no more.

• Like 1

I have similar experiences in restaurants in Isaan. In one restaurant they charged every time a different price for exactly the same food, depending who was making check bill. So I asked, why I yesterday paid less. They reduced the bill. They did not mind if you bring your own beer (Hatcha, not available in most restaurants) from the supermarket, but charged 15 Baht for the ice, never mind. On the other hand, in some food stalls in the Chiang Mai night market they forget to bill you, you have to run after the staff for paying the bill. Amazing Thailand.

Another funny thing is that in Thailand you have to pay the hotel room when doing check-in. In most other Asian countries you pay when checking out or during your stay.

"Another funny thing is that in Thailand you have to pay the hotel room when doing check-in."

What sort of hotels do you stay in? I've stayed in many different hotels in Bangkok, as well as in Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket and never paid untll check out. How could they know about restaurant or mini-bar or other charges before check out?

mkcPBKlPtZqIgIjqDEzsTnw.jpg

• Like 2

I've had both experinces, often being asked to prepay in the less expensive places and/or more touristy areas. But then sometimes subsequent nights are paid at the end unless a credit card is used for a deposit. There doesn't seem to be a norm as with many things here, they just keep you guessing and you'll undoubtably get it wrong even if you don't.

I've had both experinces, often being asked to prepay in the less expensive places and/or more touristy areas. But then sometimes subsequent nights are paid at the end unless a credit card is used for a deposit. There doesn't seem to be a norm as with many things here, they just keep you guessing and you'll undoubtably get it wrong even if you don't.

What I find very unusual is that they are very poor at maths, needing fingers or a calculator to add things up... But as soon as it has a bill that relies on memory and an ability to calculate quickly, then they are truly fantastic intellectual creatures... One day, I will actually price up everything as its ordered and see what it really tallies too... See if I am getting screwed or not...

@ Suradit69. If you book a room on-line in Chaing Mai, and pay with a credit card, even though their web site says pay when you leave, you will be charged a long time before you even get there. This has happened to me a 2 differant hotels in Chiang Mai, and as far as the mini-bar payments go, they send someone to the room as you are checking out for an inventory and you pay for that when checking out,

Promotions here mean nothing....wife went to local branch of the friendly clown to get artificial food for niece's birthday..had allready printed form internet their promotion....got told no had to order that on the call centre in Bangkok.l.....nothing on the promotion about that....

I note the same company on its corporate page will not accept complaints about non US stores. The one thing I did respect with that company before was its cleanliness and its control but no more.

Not sure about the cleanliness here but in Canada the whole kitchen was cleaned every night. A lot of the equipment was on wheels and they would roll it out every night. My wife did it for a while so I know it is not a rumor. Not sure about today. Had heard that when Ray Kroc died they loosened up on the strictness.

That was a little off topic so to get back to the topic. Those kind of things happen in many different situations and I for one find them amusing.

Then again I have an advantage over many of the Ex Pats here in Thailand. I was old and retired when I moved here and all my life have been a mild mannered rebel against conformity. I loved it in Mexico where you could order some thing in a restaurant one day go back to the one next door to it the next day and order the same thing and get some thing completely different. The third night go back to the original restaurant order the same thing and you guessed it some thing different.

Thailand fits right in for me. If I want predictability uniformity and boredom I can always return to North America. I am still welcome there. The only bridge I burned was I got rid of every thing material wise that bound me to it. The people and family would welcome me back.

Just my thoughts, but I think the OP should get a life. Maybe spend less time on a bar stool and more time working so he will be too busy to worry about a 3 baht change. I wasted my time reading this drivel. That's my 2 satang!

Does the 2 satang include VAT?

• Like 2

What I find very unusual is that they are very poor at maths, needing fingers or a calculator to add things up... But as soon as it has a bill that relies on memory and an ability to calculate quickly, then they are truly fantastic intellectual creatures... One day, I will actually price up everything as its ordered and see what it really tallies too... See if I am getting screwed or not...

Somewhat off the subject. Most recently in a bank transferring cash from US to Bangkok bank. The calculator was in use so I showed the teller how to multiply the amount from dollars to baht. She stared with her mouth open. Got the manager who used a calculator and came to the same amount I had calculated with pencil and paper. He acted nonchalant and I my have caused them to lose face but <deleted>? They are bankers, right?

• Like 1

@ Suradit69. If you book a room on-line in Chaing Mai, and pay with a credit card, even though their web site says pay when you leave, you will be charged a long time before you even get there. This has happened to me a 2 differant hotels in Chiang Mai, and as far as the mini-bar payments go, they send someone to the room as you are checking out for an inventory and you pay for that when checking out,

There have been times when I've used a credit card for security to book a room. and that's been true in various parts of the world, but I've never been billed until it was time to leave and I have stayed at hotels in Bangkok (admittedly where I am well known) where the credit card is not asked for at all until checking out.

I use Quicken to check my credit cards, bank account and brokerage balances almost daily, so I'd be aware if a charge came through before I actually signed a credit card slip. As someone else suggested, it may have something to do with the quality of the hotels, but I know the Shangri La, the Marriott Exec Apts on Sathorn, Centre Point Silom, The Tawana on Surawongse, The Dusit Thani or the various reincarnations of the Holiday Inn on Silom,and a few others have never pre-charged me.

I suppose if you pitch up with a back-pack at some Baht 1000 a night youth hostel they might try to nail down every baht they can before you go AWOL during the night, but that's an experience I can't speak to at this point in my life.

It's been awhile since I stayed in Chiang Mai, but again I know no charges ever appeared on my credit card until I signed something at check out and then the only thing that showed was a single amount billed which was the amount I signed for when leaving the hotel.

Just my thoughts, but I think the OP should get a life. Maybe spend less time on a bar stool and more time working so he will be too busy to worry about a 3 baht change. I wasted my time reading this drivel. That's my 2 satang!

Agree this tight arsed farang should just stay home and save 4 satang!
  • Like 1

There have been times when I've used a credit card for security to book a room. and that's been true in various parts of the world, but I've never been billed until it was time to leave and I have stayed at hotels in Bangkok (admittedly where I am well known) where the credit card is not asked for at all until checking out.

I use Quicken to check my credit cards, bank account and brokerage balances almost daily, so I'd be aware if a charge came through before I actually signed a credit card slip. As someone else suggested, it may have something to do with the quality of the hotels, but I know the Shangri La, the Marriott Exec Apts on Sathorn, Centre Point Silom, The Tawana on Surawongse, The Dusit Thani or the various reincarnations of the Holiday Inn on Silom,and a few others have never pre-charged me.

I suppose if you pitch up with a back-pack at some Baht 1000 a night youth hostel they might try to nail down every baht they can before you go AWOL during the night, but that's an experience I can't speak to at this point in my life.

It's been awhile since I stayed in Chiang Mai, but again I know no charges ever appeared on my credit card until I signed something at check out and then the only thing that showed was a single amount billed which was the amount I signed for when leaving the hotel.

1000 Baht per night?

I believe this guy stays at 300-450 Baht per night shacks.