Amazing Thailand: I'm still amazed when dining here

junglechef

I have similar experiences in restaurants in Isaan. In one restaurant they charged every time a different price for exactly the same food, depending who was making check bill. So I asked, why I yesterday paid less. They reduced the bill. They did not mind if you bring your own beer (Hatcha, not available in most restaurants) from the supermarket, but charged 15 Baht for the ice, never mind. On the other hand, in some food stalls in the Chiang Mai night market they forget to bill you, you have to run after the staff for paying the bill. Amazing Thailand.

Another funny thing is that in Thailand you have to pay the hotel room when doing check-in. In most other Asian countries you pay when checking out or during your stay.

"Another funny thing is that in Thailand you have to pay the hotel room when doing check-in."

What sort of hotels do you stay in? I've stayed in many different hotels in Bangkok, as well as in Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket and never paid untll check out. How could they know about restaurant or mini-bar or other charges before check out?

mkcPBKlPtZqIgIjqDEzsTnw.jpg

According to some Aussie friends who stayed here last week, they paid up front by credit card, and were charged at check out for 1 bottle of water, (which in fact they hadn't used) and that was 40 baht CASH please!

I hate these places which say they have a fridge in the room, but it's half full of the hotel's overpriced junk!

Just my thoughts, but I think the OP should get a life. Maybe spend less time on a bar stool and more time working so he will be too busy to worry about a 3 baht change. I wasted my time reading this drivel. That's my 2 satang!

Agree this tight arsed farang should just stay home and save 4 satang!

I think it was 3 baht, not satang. If it were satang, I too would think the op might be a tad tightfisted, as you so eloquently indicate. But if it was indeed baht and not satang, that is a whole different ball game of course, and unless one were dining on the company's expense account, I am sure anyone would be a bit miffed.

Does anyone know if it is possible to avoid this extra charge if we bring our own cups?

Edited by Awk

Just my thoughts, but I think the OP should get a life. Maybe spend less time on a bar stool and more time working so he will be too busy to worry about a 3 baht change. I wasted my time reading this drivel. That's my 2 satang!

Then you compounded your mistake by replying.

• Like 1

Then you compounded your mistake by replying.

Glad that some of those who read and understood the post enjoyed my silly little story of a silly little situation. I appreciate the support of those as I didn't feel the need to defend myself but feeling the love now I would happily compare my life to the life of those who question it. But for some fair warning if your considering it (donmuang37??) I don't have more than a drink per month and am asleep before the bars even get going. I don't work as I don't have to having retired very comfortably at the age of 38. And further more my life is full of wonderful things such as raising and educating my 3 children, mt bike racing, charitable activities incl. having fundraisers at my home, extensive travel, religious activities, tending my organic farm, cooking and dining out and of course enjoying social media. Loving life and living in Thailand, everyone here should try it!

• Like 2

OMG, I can't believe I wasted 5 minutes reading this petty garbage. After living in Tokyo and Hawaii for 25 years I can't believe anyone could even consider a post about a 3 or 5 baht charge........How cheap can you get....it's so inexpensive to live here, almost free by some standards....

But thank you so much for putting in an extra minute and a half to post this wonderful contribution!

Well Done Mary!

Mary Bary Bo Bary, Banana Fana Fo Fairy..

Let's hear it for... MARY! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Cheap Charles.

You have a new leader.

Hi. I get the impression English is not your first language, and apparently even some people for who language should not be an issue did not understand that the post was a joke.

Again, as somebody else already tried to explain to you, the post was a joke. A funny story. Not somebody getting angry over the extra three baht charge.

Will you now go back to your thaiforum and tell them it was a joke that you did not understand?

Edited by Awk
  • Like 1

@ Suradit69. If you book a room on-line in Chaing Mai, and pay with a credit card, even though their web site says pay when you leave, you will be charged a long time before you even get there. This has happened to me a 2 differant hotels in Chiang Mai, and as far as the mini-bar payments go, they send someone to the room as you are checking out for an inventory and you pay for that when checking out,

Depends which booking site you use. Some do indeed bill your card straight away as they will in turn pay the hotel. Other sites will not do this.

Agree this tight arsed farang should just stay home and save 4 satang!

Most people would say it's not the money its the principal.

• Like 1

Thailand fits right in for me. If I want predictability uniformity and boredom I can always return to North America. I am still welcome there.

did you ever stop to think that maybe you don't "fit in" in Thailand?

Thailand fits right in for me. If I want predictability uniformity and boredom I can always return to North America. I am still welcome there.

did you ever stop to think that maybe you don't "fit in" in Thailand?

I do actually check with some regularity and so far I fit fine into any hole life throws my way.

• Like 2

@ Suradit69. If you book a room on-line in Chaing Mai, and pay with a credit card, even though their web site says pay when you leave, you will be charged a long time before you even get there. This has happened to me a 2 differant hotels in Chiang Mai, and as far as the mini-bar payments go, they send someone to the room as you are checking out for an inventory and you pay for that when checking out,

Not when I book. And I have booked at least ten times in Chiang Mai. The last time I booked Centara Duangtawan hotel. And paid everything when I checked out 4 days later

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by larsjohnsson