quiet places to visit by train?

celso

I'm hoping for recommendations on nice, quiet places (beach or countryside) that you can reach by train.

I've got several weeks holiday around songkran. I wanted to go to a national park, like Kao Sok, but the complicated travel arrangements put me off. I'd rather stay in BKK if I have to do more than a single train/bus/flight + taxi ride.

I see Bang Saphan has a direct train service to Bangkok, and looks nice and relaxed. Wondered if anyone has other recommendations?

Bangkok is WAAAAY quieter than normal around the days of Songkran, because so many residents leave the city to visit their family elsewhere in Thailand. I recommend that you stay in BKK over Songkran. Or just get a flight down to Langkawi. 1 hour flight, a very peaceful and beautiful Malaysian island.

Bangkok is WAAAAY quieter than normal around the days of Songkran, because so many residents leave the city to visit their family elsewhere in Thailand. I recommend that you stay in BKK over Songkran. Or just get a flight down to Langkawi. 1 hour flight, a very peaceful and beautiful Malaysian island.

There isn't a direct flight from Bangkok to Langkawi.

A few years back, I took the train from BKK to Kanchanaburi (River Kwai) and on up to the end station (can't remember the name of the station). I simply loved it! It took hours, but it was so quiet and peaceful... lovely scenery.

Yes I was in Bangkok last songkran, and had a great time. But after that I'll have a few weeks more holiday.

Take the early morning train to Kanchanaburi all the way to Nam Tok.

Win thumbsup.gif

A few years back, I took the train from BKK to Kanchanaburi (River Kwai) and on up to the end station (can't remember the name of the station). I simply loved it! It took hours, but it was so quiet and peaceful... lovely scenery.

Nam Tok, as was mentioned.

Win coffee1.gif

There isn't a direct flight from Bangkok to Langkawi.

True. Air Asia used to but stopped about 4 years ago. These days I fly to Haad Yai then bus and boat it. On the whole I'm glad it takes a little time and effort to get there, keeps it like it is.