Bid to sign up 100,000 democracy guards

Lite Beer

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a serious question for those with more knowledge about where the RTA recruits from?

If the RTA has a significant proportion of recruits from the North and East, as in Red areas, what do they think will happen if a civil war were to ever break out? Do you think these soldiers will stand and fight against their kin, or will the Army collapse and have many units classed as combat innefective/Non Mission Capable?

It's all very well saying things like "Send the Army In" but it's not really that simple, loyalties within the Army will be tested and stretched to the limit, how would you react if you were ordered to go and "Crush" a village that you belonged to?

Last thing Thailand needs is a civil war..

I have a serious question for those with more knowledge about where the RTA recruits from?

If the RTA has a significant proportion of recruits from the North and East, as in Red areas, what do they think will happen if a civil war were to ever break out? Do you think these soldiers will stand and fight against their kin, or will the Army collapse and have many units classed as combat innefective/Non Mission Capable?

It's all very well saying things like "Send the Army In" but it's not really that simple, loyalties within the Army will be tested and stretched to the limit, how would you react if you were ordered to go and "Crush" a village that you belonged to?

If civil war should breakout God forbid IMO it will be fought mainly for control of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Mai. I don't think there will ever be an instance of the military or others wanting to 'crush' a village as was done in Vietnam back in the day. The problem in a civil war is you won't know who the enemy is.

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of 'curriculum' is used in their 'schools'. It's an old article but it gives you an idea how brainwashed those people are. They've been systematically brainwashed and taught to hate. What drives them is hatred. There's nothing positive about it. Thailand is in big trouble. 100,000 democracy guards? What a joke.

THAILAND: Anti-gov’t Movement Opens Rural Minds through ‘Schools’

Marwaan Macan-Markar

http://www.ipsnews.net/2010/02/thailand-anti-govrsquot-movement-opens-rural-minds-through-lsquoschoolsrsquo/

BAAN MUANG, Thailand, Feb 10 2010 (IPS) - Adult education of a novel kind is making its way through this remote town of rice farmers, who are drawn to it by a desire to learn about this kingdom’s deep political and social divisions.

On a recent Sunday, over 700 men and women filled the main hall of a private technical college in Baan Muang, in Thailand’s north-eastern province of Sakon Nakhon, to get their introductory lesson. Some of the students, whose ages ranged from the early 30s to the mid-70s, came from here; some from neighbouring villages.

The uniform they wore for this whole day of lectures and discussions revealed where their political loyalties lay in this South-east Asian nation’s colour-coded political schism. All sported the red shirts of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), a protest movement with strong links to the ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

If you are interested read the online book "Ethical conflict and indoctrination" Specifically the chapter " Ideology, Indoctrination and noncognitive foundation of belief in legitimacy" That is the UDD chapter!!

These are nothing more that "Hate" schools that serve a purpose to fanatisize an uneducated, uninformed population.

I would not be surprised if her and her husband, both learned fanatics, have read the above book. If you want to indoctrinate someone to your beliefs this book is a must read!

• Like 2

If civil war should breakout God forbid IMO it will be fought mainly for control of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Mai. I don't think there will ever be an instance of the military or others wanting to 'crush' a village as was done in Vietnam back in the day. The problem in a civil war is you won't know who the enemy is.

That would be it. March on Bangkok and try to purge undesirables inside the city as swiftly as possible in hope that the army would switch the sides under the pressure. Thailand is far from the clear cut. Don't forget the police force. They've got the numbers too. And they're also armed. However, the country as a whole completely lost the plot. Far too many civilians are armed. Coloured armies, private armies, 'volunteers', village volunteers, defenders of democracy, popcorn shooters, vigilantes of all colours etc...etc...It does not bode well for the future.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 2

How to say "Tonton Macoute" in Thai?

I tried 'paramilitary force' in Google Translate and got **** Thai language edited out **** - 'gamlang tahaan' - 'soldiering' Not a good translation, but then Thai does not really have the richness of English. Nor it Google Translate all that good, either.

Just say 'Pol Pot' or 'Khmer Daeng' instead - I'm sure they'll get the message.

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.
  • Like 2

I hope F H that you are realizing what the one you have been supporting with your posts is trying to do to this country.

G R I suspect you are wrong there I cant see the reds wanting to take on the army or anyone else in their strongholds, likely they would go for soft targets and try to spread any opposition as thin as possible, things like disrupt power and water supplies, how would BKK go if the main transmission lines were down in several places ?

I see from the OP that their army is going to be trained by a retired General, he will know exactly where everything is and how best to disrupt.

Then there are the police, we saw where their sympathies lay in 2010, so far this time they have been completely useless including Tarit with his DSI and Chalerm with his SOE.

The army needs take action now on this group and any police that won't co operate should be charged for agreeing with separation of the country.

Red shirt leaders should be arrested now , the army also needs to contact the army in Dubai and advise them what the man in the sand is doing , let them take him into a cell for 48 hours intense interrogation.

After that put him under 24 hour guard with no communications allowed no phones tv or internet.

Yingluck should be arrested immediately for not taking any action , they have enough evidence to show she is supporting this new movement.

This will get right out of hand if not and all these red shirts that have been brainwashed by their leaders who sit on the sand and others in frog ponds will be armed and dangerous.

Only way to stop this is by using very very strong enforcement now.

In fact why not just arrest everybody you don't like - seems like a reasonable suggestion to me. Classic rant, well done.

p.s. I particularly liked the reference to the armed and dangerous red shirts in frog ponds.

Edited by fab4

wake up!!!

Suthep sought (seeks) to overthrow an elected government and run the country with a fascist UN-ELECTED 'council' nothing more separatist than THAT

There is a distinct difference between politically divisive and separatist, though perhaps the nuance escapes you.

not at all - separating the 'people' from democracy IS separatist thumbsup.gif

The impending demise of the current system and the panic this causes some who have built lives, fortunes and identities around a manufactured reverence for the ---- and the current incumbent.

They all Fear of the future...so they continually intervene in politics. Political meddling that is the stock-in-trade of the aged privy councilors, or the use of the LM law to “protect” royalist interests. Over 150 Northerners are now serving lengthy prison sentences and or pending cases / charged...That would make me a little bit angry as well.

(A GREAT THOMAS JEFFERSON QUOTE)

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed.

The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive.

If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. Thomas Jefferson thumbsup.gif

The genie got out of the bottle when the military allowed its personnel to "freelance" for the PDRC.

The Redshirts stayed quiet for many months despite the incessant hectoring and provocations from Suthep and his supporters. And now the people are taking steps to protect themselves when they rally on behalf of the government. It wasn't a matter of if, but when.

To those who demand a military intervention, the circumstances are very different than in 2010. The Redshirts were in Bangkok, far from their powerbase and they were not well organized. Now, they are organized and they will be fighting on their home turf. It will be difficult for the limited number of loyalist military units to control the countryside and to fight an insurgency in the south as well as maintain order in Bangkok. I anticipate that a full out confrontation between the military and the supporters of the government will result in a mutiny in the military. Maybe that's what some foreigners want. However, we will all suffer if it occurs.

If I ever find a genie's lamp I shall now never rub it for gear that the hideous Tida might emerge.

You are being very distorted in your statements.

If the red shirts had stayed at home like good little boys and girls instead of flocking to the protests to cause aggression and violence with their guns and bombs then there would never have been any injuries or deaths.

If the police had tried to do their job instead of looking after big boss Thaksin then we wouldn't have seen this.

Instead the reds, Kotee in particular, took it upon themselves to resort to the only thing that they know - fire and violence.

Blaming the army who came in once again to do the job that the police failed to do is just plain wrong. They are the cure and Tida and her bovver boys are the disease

• Like 1

I hope F H that you are realizing what the one you have been supporting with your posts is trying to do to this country.

G R I suspect you are wrong there I cant see the reds wanting to take on the army or anyone else in their strongholds, likely they would go for soft targets and try to spread any opposition as thin as possible, things like disrupt power and water supplies, how would BKK go if the main transmission lines were down in several places ?

I see from the OP that their army is going to be trained by a retired General, he will know exactly where everything is and how best to disrupt.

Then there are the police, we saw where their sympathies lay in 2010, so far this time they have been completely useless including Tarit with his DSI and Chalerm with his SOE.

You are talking about terrorist attacks and yes IMO that is always a possibility but it will drag the issues out for a long time and the Thais have no stomach for prolonged attacks, if that is their strategy but I don't think that will happen only on a small scale. The red army will still in the end need to have control over Bangkok. The disruption of electricity and other utility's will not put them in favor of anyone, imo of course.

Robbie, I don't support Thaksin, nor his style of rule, I just don't get caught up in the hatred and emotion of what happened in 2010, I wasn't there, I can't comment accuratelty as to what went on, on the ground, other than to make observations based on reading and watching articles here.

I do know a thing or two about insurgency and anti terrorism, seen it done it got the t-shirt, I'll give you an example of recent events in Iraq, several months ago now, AQ and ISIL took over Fallujah and Ramadi, TOOK OVER, these cities are massive, the Police there and the local Army units ran!!!! You're not talking about 10's of thousands of AQ/ISIL either, you're talking about no more than several hundred tops... they took cities <deleted>!!

2-3 Months ago the Iraqi Government announced they were sending the Army in to crush these terrorists, and reclaim these two cities, there was news reports on the TV every night, lots of pictures of the Iraqi Army all kitted out with the latest US Gucci gear, more things attached to their M4's than a Swiss army knife, all singing and dancing as if they've just won a war..

They got their asses handed to them on a plate,and had to pull back, they rushed Military hardware that was on order including Mi24's and Mi28's to these cities, straight from Umm Qasr Port and begged the Americans for a rapid supply of AGM114 hellfire misiles for their UAV's, and Fast Air (F16's)
It's all gone quiet, the Euphoria was short lived, the Iraqi Army has not been able to claim either City back, they will take an area, hold it, then quit and go home at night, only to have the area retaken by the Insurgents, they had all the gear, all the hype, the training the works... they just didn't have the backbone or stomach to die for nothing, many of these units that were sent to Fallujah came from the South, Shia's and they didn't feel any compunction to die for a Sunni city.

What's my point you might ask? The point is don't assume the Army is the answer and assume that their loyalties are not elsewhere ;)

• Like 1

Robbie, I don't support Thaksin, nor his style of rule, I just don't get caught up in the hatred and emotion of what happened in 2010, I wasn't there, I can't comment accuratelty as to what went on, on the ground, other than to make observations based on reading and watching articles here.

I do know a thing or two about insurgency and anti terrorism, seen it done it got the t-shirt, I'll give you an example of recent events in Iraq, several months ago now, AQ and ISIL took over Fallujah and Ramadi, TOOK OVER, these cities are massive, the Police there and the local Army units ran!!!! You're not talking about 10's of thousands of AQ/ISIL either, you're talking about no more than several hundred tops... they took cities <deleted>!!

2-3 Months ago the Iraqi Government announced they were sending the Army in to crush these terrorists, and reclaim these two cities, there was news reports on the TV every night, lots of pictures of the Iraqi Army all kitted out with the latest US Gucci gear, more things attached to their M4's than a Swiss army knife, all singing and dancing as if they've just won a war..

They got their asses handed to them on a plate,and had to pull back, they rushed Military hardware that was on order including Mi24's and Mi28's to these cities, straight from Umm Qasr Port and begged the Americans for a rapid supply of AGM114 hellfire misiles for their UAV's, and Fast Air (F16's)

It's all gone quiet, the Euphoria was short lived, the Iraqi Army has not been able to claim either City back, they will take an area, hold it, then quit and go home at night, only to have the area retaken by the Insurgents, they had all the gear, all the hype, the training the works... they just didn't have the backbone or stomach to die for nothing, many of these units that were sent to Fallujah came from the South, Shia's and they didn't feel any compunction to die for a Sunni city.

What's my point you might ask? The point is don't assume the Army is the answer and assume that their loyalties are not elsewhere wink.png

Your spiel is about very militant Muslims in their own country in the middle east, not the same as Thais in Thailand. I doubt very much that the Thai military has on hand any of the ordinance you mention. Just no comparison here to anything in Iraq. The Muslims are much more devoted to terrorism and they don't get tired.

If you are interested read the online book "Ethical conflict and indoctrination" Specifically the chapter " Ideology, Indoctrination and noncognitive foundation of belief in legitimacy" That is the UDD chapter!!

These are nothing more that "Hate" schools that serve a purpose to fanatisize an uneducated, uninformed population.

I would not be surprised if her and her husband, both learned fanatics, have read the above book. If you want to indoctrinate someone to your beliefs this book is a must read!

Good read, that. Most interesting - fits the bill here to a T.

"The number of volunteer "guards to protect democracy" is expected to be at least 100,000 at the end of the month, red-shirt leader Suporn Atthawong said yesterday"

It is nice to see them get something right....By referencing the "protection of Democracy" and getting off this PAD-Dem kick to whitewash themselves.

By only characterizing their coup-mongerism as being "anti-Govt", and those opposed as being "pro-Govt", serves their misleading anti-Democracy agenda which they try to hide. Embarrassed by their own motivations.

I don't quite follow the logic or reference to the red-shirts being embarassed by their motivations. It wasn't at all apparent from either the article or your comments.

I have read the opening story a few times and I can't for the life of me see where it says they want to separate the country. Maybe it is my eyesight but could please point out where in the story it says this. I can see where they say the opposite tho.

When a con man tries tries to sell you something can you see past his lies?

It's all just another monty python skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c&feature=player_detailpage

Gosh so this whole situation is nothing more than a joke. I am relived I acutely thought this was something serious with many lives at stake. I will sleep better tonight. Thanks chooka.

What's my point you might ask? The point is don't assume the Army is the answer and assume that their loyalties are not elsewhere wink.png

Your spiel is about very militant Muslims in their own country in the middle east, not the same as Thais in Thailand. I doubt very much that the Thai military has on hand any of the ordinance you mention. Just no comparison here to anything in Iraq. The Muslims are much more devoted to terrorism and they don't get tired.

You are indeed correct, but you missed the point... the very last sentence I wrote was relevent to Any Army that has to quell civil disorder in its own country ;) epsecially if there's a prospect of a civil war.

It's not that Muslims are more devoted to Terrorism, the Red Brigade, Baader Meinhoff, PIRA/INLA and the FARC in Colombia all fought long and protracted campaigns against their Governments ;)

The Muslims are more willing to die for their beliefs and ideology that's all that's different in that their goals are still the same.

• Like 1

A citizen army, equal or larger than most countries armies, and its tolerated by the real army? Is this country operating like a children's playground? There is so much absurdity happening here it can't be construed as a functioning country by anybody. Thailand is spiraling out of control.

The other book to read is Wilhelm Reich's Mass Psychology of Fascism. It'll give you a great understanding of why and how Thaksin has managed this coup. (His coup was to win over the easily led masses)

I enjoyed this one: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashing-The-Science-Thought-Control/dp/0199204780 . Probably a future manual for Lanna Rouge re-alignment camps, provided it's translated into Thai.

The other book to read is Wilhelm Reich's Mass Psychology of Fascism. It'll give you a great understanding of why and how Thaksin has managed this coup. (His coup was to win over the easily led masses)

("If you want to indoctrinate someone to your beliefs this book is a must read!")

Ha...I wonder when the book will be written about the indoctrination of millions of Thai's into brainwashed fanatics for the last 60 plus years...Oh wait you can't write about any of that here or talk about it or think out loud about it. Whn will that book be printed and allowed to be sold in this Kingdom?

The Court shouldn't have any problems with red shirt armed democracy guards any more than it didn't have a problem with Suthep's democracy armed guards. If the law is the law, the number of guards shouldn't be relevant for either side.

So long as democracy guards behave "peacefully" to express their freedom of speech doing things like padlock public buildings, follow people into shopping malls and attempt to kidnap them, beat up police, block public thoroughfares, occupy public lands and buildings, shutdown tv broadcasting, threaten to kidnap PDRC leaders, initmidate PDRC-friendly businesses, police are not empowered to use force against such guards. If the court does rule against red shirt armed democracy guards, then clearly it is biased in favor of PDRC and must be deemed "corrupt." I say all this as "tongue-in-cheek" but the cumulatve actions by "independent" agencies and courts seemed as a minimum inconsistently applied to politically opposing parties.

• Like 1

to protect a democracy

the first thing they need to be taught is

WHAT IS A DEMOCRACY

Mmm, I think to protect a democracy, first you have to HAVE a democracy ...

Very true.

It's sad they are led to believe a democracy is where you get to vote for who you're told to. But hey, will give you some money for doing it, promise you all kinds of things like making you rich, better future for your kids etc - then will rob you blind, lie to you and deal with you if you ask too many questions.

One or too "democracies" like this spring to mind. And their elected leaders always get landslide majority victories in every "election" too,

• Like 1

well the fascists have done it - care to condemn ALL such 'guards'???

I DO

both sides setting up 'guards' is separatist and should be condemned by all democrats (small 'd')

but no doubt the 'yellows huggers' on here will condemn this but elevate the yellow PDRC 'guards' to 'fighting for freedom' which is cr*p of course

Yes you are right, both sides have been and are doing exactly the same things but it is only bad if their wear red.

Rubbish! The Anti-Government Protesters have never advocated separating the Country. We all know who Suthep supports. He doesn't want to separate the Country, he wants to get rid of the Thanksin Clan and their cronies, which is a totally different story.

Their guards, have been there to protect against outside violence against the Anti-Government Protesters and that's it. NOT to try and secede from the Nation or to intimidate peaceful anti-Government protesters, like the Red Shirts have advocated publicly.

Now the Red Shirt leaders are changing their wording, but not their actions. (I guess maybe they are getting a little scared about getting a noose around their neck?) They change the wording, but a private army, is still a private army, no matter what name you want to give it.

Their intentions seem quite clear.

If the Military doesn't step in, before this thing grows bigger, it might get very ugly, fast sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

I have read the opening story a few times and I can't for the life of me see where it says they want to separate the country. Maybe it is my eyesight but could please point out where in the story it says this. I can see where they say the opposite tho.
Putin is also saying he does not plan to retake Crimea, he is just protecting the citizens there :-)

A week or 2 ago the red shirts wanted a separate state. They then realised it was illegal and the army would sue them, so officially they changed their mind, as anyone would when faced with prison or a death sentence. Then a week or 2 later they make their own army :-D

Tell me, why does an army need physical training if it is not meant to physically fight anyone?

Edited by monkeycountry

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A citizen army, equal or larger than most countries armies, and its tolerated by the real army? Is this country operating like a children's playground? There is so much absurdity happening here it can't be construed as a functioning country by anybody. Thailand is spiraling out of control.

And on top of that there war cry is to 'protect democracy' (for the people and by the people), but in reality their partners, pt, have practiced a form of government which is much closer to a dictatorship and a government focused more on it's own and cronies enrichment, plus rampant nepotism with close to zero capability, rather than development of Thailand for ALL Thais, aiming to lift large numbers of Thais folks into a much better quality of life through their own productivity.

Edited by scorecard

"The number of volunteer "guards to protect democracy" is expected to be at least 100,000 at the end of the month, red-shirt leader Suporn Atthawong said yesterday"

It is nice to see them get something right....By referencing the "protection of Democracy" and getting off this PAD-Dem kick to whitewash themselves.

By only characterizing their coup-mongerism as being "anti-Govt", and those opposed as being "pro-Govt", serves their misleading anti-Democracy agenda which they try to hide. Embarrassed by their own motivations.

I really liked the reason for sign-up one applicant gave "Applicant Lun Biakratoke said he felt sorry for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra enduring tension from political opponents."

Nothing to do with democratic principles, politics, no, just feeling sorry for that nice lady who always smiling and waves when she tours along.

• Like 1

Yeah, that totally doesn't sound like a militia.

And what is their charge; protecting the kingdom from a bunch of people standing around in the street who have literally accomplished exactly nothing?

Where were they the day the prtestors actually did their single act of productive sedition: Feb. 2?

These people seem to want nothing if not a war.

All the talk about democracy is as much a farce as the other faction calling themselves "Democrats".

Sounds to me like they are very disorganized.

Here in Chiang Mai they had a red shirt rally of around 10,000 people. The stronghold of the red shirts. They only managed 10,000 and to get to that number they had to truck them in from all over.

They said they were the Democracy Protection Volunteers Group DPVG for short. They just forgot to put on a different shirt. They claimed they were sending people out to sign up more members in other communities with the idea of having a membership of 200,000.

My money says they go into villages that if you are not a red shirt at heart you pretend to be or suffer consequences.

Not being there or speaking Thai I can not say that they were urging the people to get physically fit in order to support her uncrowned majesty Yingluck.

Now at first I wondered why they would have to be physically fit then I remembered a few weeks back here in the Chiang Mai the stronghold of red shirtism they had 800 give or take protesting by standing out in the hot sun. Yes you would need a certain amount of physical stamina for that.

They had an immensely successful rally. Many people walked away thinking they really are a bunch of losers.

It would be interesting to see how much the bar business sagged while they were out rallying.

I remember staying at a hotel years ago owned by I believe it was either Newin or his son. They protested. It was the silliest looking thing I had ever seen. There was about 50 of them standing in the parking lot with the sun beating down on them. There was some cops assigned to keep order. They were all inside the air conditioned hotel drinking coffee. Being just a visitor at the time I had to have it explained to me. The Goof's were just standing there no signs and not saying any thing just standing there.

• Like 1