Suggestion for Thai restaurant

junglechef

As I rarely go out after dark I don't know all the night only places. Entertaining out of country guest and looking for GOOD Thai food, not fast food as we want to hagn out but would like it to have a regular Thai feeling so not high-so. Lanna cuisine would be great but anything fresh cooked to order would be fine. Not interested in modern Thai o such as added twist of a classic dishes etc. Lively atmosphere of people not necessarily loud music. Anything you like?

I usually take my guests ( visiting family or friends ) to Hong Tauw Inn, on Nimanhemin, opposite of the old Rincome Hotel.

They are on Trip Advisor, some people have left negative reviews, but I have always found the food there authentic and very good.

Being on Niman, parking may be a problem.

Phil

Edited by pilou

They are on Trip Advisor, some people have left negative reviews, but I have always found the food there authentic and very good.

I don't pay too much attention to Trip Advisor. There are too many fake reviews. Between owners praising their own restaurant and competitors trashing it, it is hard to know what to believe.

Neither do I , and I agree with you, but it gives a rough idea of the quality of the place, and also shows the location. I admit I haven't been there for a while now.

Phil

I don't pay too much attention to Trip Advisor. There are too many fake reviews. Between owners praising their own restaurant and competitors trashing it, it is hard to know what to believe.

Neither do I , and I agree with you, but it gives a rough idea of the quality of the place, and also shows the location. I admit I haven't been there for a while now.

Phil

I tend to ignore the reviews that are too good, or too bad, to be true and concentrate on the ones that don't seem to have an agenda. It is helpful for finding out what dishes they have, the location and phone number.

• Like 1

Yes, TripAdvisor is a zoo. Not to mention the absolute worst moderation model for forum discussions I have ever seen. Which we all know to mean something. wink.png

(With Slashdot.org being the best community-derived moderation model, but this just as an aside.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've always found Huen Phen to be a nice place to eat. It has a comfortable old Thai house atmosphere with good food and very reasonable prices. You might want to give it a try before your guests arrive, but I think you'll be pleased.

For better or worse, here's a review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1210654-Reviews-Huen_Phen-Chiang_Mai.html

• Like 1

The best Khao Soy I've ever had is on Suthep Rd., Soi 4, next to Cupdee coffee bar, and about 50 m passed the green bus ticket office and Mathexpress. 35 THB, moo or gai, Large Chang 65, and they have about 100 other dishes to choose from, also. Mix of CMU students, and longtime regulars, few farang. Quite a bit spicier than the places that serve many more farang. Parking is a problem.....Open until 21:30, but they start putting stuff away at 9 pm.

that resturant you mentioned huen muan jai is that turn right at the shell garage on huay kaew rd cheers just trying to place it, good review of thai resturants by the way.

Yes coming from ksk reach the filling station then try to make the right turn ...then its 100m turn right, 50m turn left and then its about 150m further on.

It is dead opposite what was Auntie Aoys....

• Like 2

Baan Rai Yam Yen in San Phee Suea is my favorite place to bring out of town guests for good northern Thai food. Great outdoor traditional setting, usually gets a good crowd & they have nice acoustic music - a mix of Thai & western songs.

Thanks for all the suggestion, went for Saenkham Terrace on a foodie Thai friend's advise but after an hour of following the Tripadvisor map it brought me to another non-restaurant business called Terrace Landscaping. Since I was in the area I went to one of my favs called Rak Thanam (http://www.thanuhm.com), always enjoyed the beautiful setting of the immaculate large Lanna style wooden building and picturesque view of river with nothing on the opposite side to ruin the view except a pretty stupa. Love the "Gai Ban" (those scrawny little chickens) steam with Thai herbs. Also had salt encrusted Tabtim, BBQ Pork, both off the grill outside on the comfortable patio where we chose to seat, two rice, two desserts and three beers for 1000 bht. Very attentive and friendly service with a sweet little school age girl traditionally dressed to greet you. Especially nice as it's authentic Northern cuisine with full-flavored sauces but not too spicy so great place to take guests from home (if you don't hail from Thailand that is). Been there quite a few times and never been disappointed as the food is consistent and fresh and properly prepared. Really is good for all the right reasons. Looking forward to trying all the suggestions everyone generously posted! Thanks!!

Thanks for all the suggestion, went for Saenkham Terrace on a foodie Thai friend's advise but after an hour of following the Tripadvisor map it brought me to another non-restaurant business called Terrace Landscaping. Since I was in the area I went to one of my favs called Rak Thanam (http://www.thanuhm.com), always enjoyed the beautiful setting of the immaculate large Lanna style wooden building and picturesque view of river with nothing on the opposite side to ruin the view except a pretty stupa. Love the "Gai Ban" (those scrawny little chickens) steam with Thai herbs. Also had salt encrusted Tabtim, BBQ Pork, both off the grill outside on the comfortable patio where we chose to seat, two rice, two desserts and three beers for 1000 bht. Very attentive and friendly service with a sweet little school age girl traditionally dressed to greet you. Especially nice as it's authentic Northern cuisine with full-flavored sauces but not too spicy so great place to take guests from home (if you don't hail from Thailand that is). Been there quite a few times and never been disappointed as the food is consistent and fresh and properly prepared. Really is good for all the right reasons. Looking forward to trying all the suggestions everyone generously posted! Thanks!!

That was next on my list. I was looking up Thanon and couldn't find it.

Ironically its 5 mins from our house. My camera full of photos of that place, thai classic architecture.

Now the new attached hotel is getting my attention.

Glad you liked it, though a bit of a trail from the moat.

• Like 1

One of my favourite places to take visitors or just enjoy myself is Khao Mao Khao Fang. It is set in an amazing tropical garden and I find the food excellent as is the service. The garden, or rather gardens, are truly splendid. There is and artificial lake complete with waterfall which you can sit beside and forget you are only a few metres from a busy road. The main building is an architectural wonder and the grounds are dotted with water features. And remember to visit the dunny whether you need to or not - it is worth a look. The place is one of the wonders of Chiang Mai.

To get there go down Hang Dong Rd, turn right for the Night Safari and it is about I kilometer on the right.

quite suprising in all the reviews of resturants iwith nice settings no one ever mentions moc mol, been going there for 10 years on and off,and i always find its a jaw dropper and a kudo points with people i take,bit high so but very comfortable.

quite suprising in all the reviews of resturants iwith nice settings no one ever mentions moc mol, been going there for 10 years on and off,and i always find its a jaw dropper and a kudo points with people i take,bit high so but very comfortable.

And so it will remain unknown until you tell us where it is!

This place fits your requirements perfectly, Lanna food, 99% Thai patrons, great food, great atmosphere, cheap, cute waitresses and a girl who plays a traditional Thai Khim in the background between 6.30-7.30'ish. Not at all HiSo.

Gets very busy!

Go north on Canal Road, about half way to 700 years stadium, just before the new Conference facilty on the left hand side.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chiang+mai&aq=&sll=51.224982,-0.798374&sspn=0.99246,2.705383&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&ll=18.820423,98.96435&spn=0.001475,0.002642&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.820423,98.964349&panoid=8iaIn5_vIGrweqQFqXaKyg&cbp=12,303.97,,1,-1.64

After staying all together over one year in Chiang Mai!

My favorite is watsandok Little bot Outside real organic food cooked by the monk!

There are many bad food place around night bazaar in morning time real not was good

Standardized source and fat

If you want something special go to the wat

This place fits your requirements perfectly, Lanna food, 99% Thai patrons, great food, great atmosphere, cheap, cute waitresses and a girl who plays a traditional Thai Khim in the background between 6.30-7.30'ish. Not at all HiSo.

Gets very busy!

Go north on Canal Road, about half way to 700 years stadium, just before the new Conference facilty on the left hand side.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chiang+mai&aq=&sll=51.224982,-0.798374&sspn=0.99246,2.705383&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&ll=18.820423,98.96435&spn=0.001475,0.002642&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.820423,98.964349&panoid=8iaIn5_vIGrweqQFqXaKyg&cbp=12,303.97,,1,-1.64

yes okay that one patong seafood,just by there good and also the curry house, at the top of that soi in photo really good for northen food

Gets very busy!

yes okay that one patong seafood,just by there good and also the curry house, at the top of that soi in photo really good for northen food

Yeah, went to the seafood place a bit further along a few years ago, was not impressed. I need to check out that other place down that Soi, seen it but never tried it.

The place I mentioned above is very good and a bargain, go down any day at 7pm and see how many Thai's go there!