800K in Foreign Currency Deposit

I understand that it is possible to have the 800,000 baht needed for a 1-year extension in a Thai bank account (after having transferred the sum from outside Thailand to the account) in a FOREIGN currency. From reading the forum I also understand that the exchange rate calculated by the immigration authorities is not identical with the current bank rate at the time of the application. So it is necessary to have more money in the account than the exact equivalent for 800K. More importantly, not all immigration offices accept a foreign currency account.I think this aspect will become more interesting for expats as the baht is said to drop significantly in the coming 2 years.

Here is my question:

Which immigration offices accept US $ accounts as an equivalent to a 800K bath account. Do they do this regularly or only occasionally. In my case it would be for my first application.

• Like 1

Only when you want to do a conversion to a non-immigrant visa do you need proof the money came from abroad.

You can always choose to have the money send to your Thai account in your own currency or in Thai baht. Often it is cheaper to send them in your own currency and let the Thai bank do the currency exchange.

Foreign currency account are normally accepted, but you do need to have more money in them because you need to account for currency fluctuations. During the seasoning period the money cannot be under 800,000 baht.

You cannot choose your immigration office. you have to use the one for the area you are living.

Thx for the quick reply.

I am currently outside Thailand and so I am asking the question in order to relocate to the right place at least for the start. After that I can make adjustments.

I have a US $ account and cant do (and also dont want to do) the conversion to baht right now. The US $ accounts protects me from the banks using the bad offshore exchange rate.

I also want to transfer the money ahead of my arrival so that I can apply for the 1 year extension within the 2months period my tourist visa gives me. My problem is that I have an upcoming trip within 2 weeks of ending my 2 months visa. Consequently, this would kill a 90 day extension and the whole application process.

I started two threads as the currency and visa (direct extension from a 2 months visa) are distinct problems.

You can use the foreign currency account. The bank will write the letter in the USD amount and baht amount for in the same letter.

As long as have a balance in the account well above the equivalent of 800k their should not be a problem to prove that it has had the correct amount for 2 months.

In your other topic you mentioned you were working outside the country. If you income is equal to 65k baht a month you could get an income letter from your embassy. What country are you from.

Edit: All the large immigration offices will accept a foreign currency. Bangkok for sure and the bank there might be more familiar with the doing the letter.

That sounds good. BKK sounds more digestable than Pattaya (strictly speaking for myself and my own preferences). In the long run I am looking more into places like Nakhon Pathom, maybe Philok or Korat. Less traffic, pollution and bit cheaper.

My foreign currency account is with the main branch of a large bank in BKK and the staff knows me for years by now. Thus, I assume the paper work should be no problem.

Still it would be nice if members here could report their experiences so that we might get a kind of list containing those immigration offices that do, dont do, or might do. This would have relevance for other beyond my own specific case.

Thanks again for the kind advice.

I like Isaan. I am regularly there and still haven't seen the Hindu Budda in the river near Nam Yuen. Always under water when I show up. Not really cooperative....

So Ubon is also on the list of places that do accept US $ accounts. Not bad just a hop on the bus from Morchit away.

Since you are applying for a conversion, make sure to take proof with you that the money came from abroad and you will have to use one of the larger immigration offices.

Any reason you don't want to apply for a non-O visa straight away instead of a tourist visa.

I like Isaan. I am regularly there and still haven't seen the Hindu Budda in the river near Nam Yuen. Always under water when I show up. Not really cooperative....

So Ubon is also on the list of places that do accept US $ accounts. Not bad just a hop on the bus from Morchit away.

I am not sure they will accept them. I am due a 90 day report next week If I go with my wife to make it then it I can ask them.

You may find it difficult to use the foreign currency account.other than at an office in a large city. You may find it best to set up a baht account to move the 800k into 90 days prior to when you plan on doing your extension and then use the funds for your local expenses afterwards.