Cold water poured on 'neutral Thai PM' push

webfact

Seems to me having a solid and workable clear constitution goes against the age old tradition of making something mean whatever is wanted at the time by whoever is in the seat of ruling ... at that time..... I came to the conclusion a few constitutions ago no one is interested in a permanent workable and respected constitution to be proud of, they would rather it didnt impede certain peoples ability to twist or interpret things as they choose depending on who is holding the ruling. Indeed it could be said the constuitution is nowhere near as important as those who decide what it means today or indeed those who maybe ruling on it tomorrow.

If it dosnt fit they throw it out and make a new one anyway.. well new ish they cant even be bothered to do that properly from the ground up but just cut n paste 90% from old ones.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Please, somebody tell me we are not stuck with herw00t.gif

Again the Constitution for the Democracy in Thailand has no provisions for appointment of an non-elected government, the only way Yingluck can be forced out of her position as Thailand's PM is to be voted out of office in an election or impeached!

Yes she will remain as PM until an election is held or impeached!

Cheers

Roll on Impeachment

Cheers.

And just to remind everyone what it takes to impeach someone. 3/5 majority vote in Senate. Could not be done in the current senate. There have been a try to get 38 senators impeached to make it easier to get that mjority, but that bid is running out of time before the new Senate is elected. No senator stays for more then 1 term, so those impeachments have no power after the election. There will have to be a lot of shady behind the scenes stuff by Sutheps stringholders after that election to get a 3/5 majority. And the timeframe to get this done is so long there might even be a 475 member parliament in place to select a new PM by then.

So yes, the caretaker government will stay in march and april too. All that Suthep managed to do was giving Thailand 6 months of chaos.

Again the Constitution for the Democracy in Thailand has no provisions for appointment of an non-elected government, the only way Yingluck can be forced out of her position as Thailand's PM is to be voted out of office in an election or impeached!

Cheers

Roll on Impeachment

Cheers.

And just to remind everyone what it takes to impeach someone. 3/5 majority vote in Senate. Could not be done in the current senate. There have been a try to get 38 senators impeached to make it easier to get that mjority, but that bid is running out of time before the new Senate is elected. No senator stays for more then 1 term, so those impeachments have no power after the election. There will have to be a lot of shady behind the scenes stuff by Sutheps stringholders after that election to get a 3/5 majority. And the timeframe to get this done is so long there might even be a 475 member parliament in place to select a new PM by then.

So yes, the caretaker government will stay in march and april too. All that Suthep managed to do was giving Thailand 6 months of chaos.

Not so good as that for Yingluck I'm afraid. Only the elected senators are up for election (76 of them, one from each province). 70 of the 74 appointed senators will likely vote for impeachment and combined with the Southern/central plains/Bangkok contingent they will easily have enough votes!!!!

Scamper, on 10 Mar 2014 - 11:33, said:

Article 7 makes it clear that the Senate does indeed hold this authority if there is a lack of a quorum. For those who believe that an interim prime minister cannot be constitutionally appointed in lieu of a parliamentary quorum need only look at Article 7. And while they're at it, they can look at Article 127 as well, which sets the limit of a caretaker administration at 30 days from an election if no quorum is formed. That was five days ago. And while they're at it, they can take a peek at Article 108 too. Pheu Thai will continue to deride the possibility of an interim prime minister ( I wonder why ! ) but you will never, ever hear a Pheu Thai spokesman ever refer to Article 7. And simply because they can't say deny that it is there. Article 7 runs contrary to everything that Pheu Thai wants to push. And yet there it is. And will - along with Article 127 and 108 form the basis of a pretty tight argument that the Constitutional Court will undoubtedly rule upon this month.

I'm not quite sure how often you need to be told before anything sinks in and actually retains a hold in your brain, but let's try again.

Look back a few years to the last time somebody tried to invoke article 7. It won't take long, 2006 is the year to look at in your bumper book of Thai history. Didn't go too well did it? It was called undemocratic wasn't it? By the highest authority in the land, wasn't it?

Ever heard of Section 181? Normally, within 60 days of the election the caretaker Cabinet will be replaced by a new Cabinet, but Section 181 does not put a maximum timeframe on how long the caretaker Cabinet can continue. It simply states the caretaker Cabinet continues until a new Cabinet takes office.

You might also want to read this, http://asiancorrespondent.com/120409/caretaker-government-section-7-and-the-senate/ It explains in a clear, concise manner just why suthep is so panicky about getting impeachments of the senators done and dusted by March 30. It is so he can try and get the majority of senators he needs on his side to impeach Yingluck.

Put it this way, he needs to get 38 senators suspended and impeached (through the NACC case against 308 lawmakers, the 38 senators included) by 30th March. Hence the NACC needs to get it's finger out if their part in this attempted judicial coup is to go right.

It ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

SICHONSTEVE, on 10 Mar 2014 - 12:41, said:SICHONSTEVE, on 10 Mar 2014 - 12:41, said:
xminator, on 10 Mar 2014 - 12:05, said:xminator, on 10 Mar 2014 - 12:05, said:
The Deerhunter, on 10 Mar 2014 - 10:02, said:The Deerhunter, on 10 Mar 2014 - 10:02, said:

Roll on Impeachment

Cheers.

Not so good as that for Yingluck I'm afraid. Only the elected senators are up for election (76 of them, one from each province). 70 of the 74 appointed senators will likely vote for impeachment and combined with the Southern/central plains/Bangkok contingent they will easily have enough votes!!!!

Read post #35

Edited by fab4

Cheers

There have been 3 "NON ELECTED by general election " Pm's Samak , Somchai and Abhisit all were elected by Parliamentary vote.

There is no sitting parliament

The greatest problem Thailand has is when I constitution doesn't work bullet proof,

they throw out the whole thing and start from scratch. They have done this repeatedly.

Rather than FIX a nearly working constitution to close loopholes and work properly,

they end up with new ones that have different loopholes, or illogical juxtapositions of

rules that are in opposition to each other.

This is where we are now.

No bullet proof route to succession if things don't run correctly with an election.

Why is there now definitive list of

'who takes the leadership as each member is removed' for any reason?

There should be a list like most countries have that shows which leader steps in if his boss is gone,

and that listing goes right down to postmaster in Nakon Nowhere.

Since this happened last time an election timed out, why didn't they JUST FIX THAT,

and then fix the loopholes that allowed Executive authority to remove it's checks and balances?

Instead they threw out the whole 'Peoples Constitution' and put in a new from scratch one,

with MORE and slightly different problems. In particular no mechanism to prevent

a majority parliament from ramrodding onerous financial burdens down the national throat,

thus running the country into decades of debt and the mess we now have.

That the Opposition was serially prevented from actually SPEAKING against this in Parliamentary Session,

so much so, that they walked out in protest multiple times, shows how badly design this current system

has been done.

And has led us to the street effort to do what the constitution has shown itself to be inept at.

This is not a question of mandate of majority, since it is well known mandates in Thailand can be

purchased, gerrymandered and the public treasury used to keep an appearance of a mandate in place,

no matter if THAT breaks the nations treasury.

Exactly correct. It has been this continuous interference from the army to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut without any censure that has put them into this position.

When everyone was going around believing that the army had in some way a special place to protect the country from dodgy politicians, the reality was, it was the constitution that should be the piece of paper protecting the people from dodgy polticians. This is all now water under the bridge, and they have the fag pack constructed constitution they deserve, with loopholes so big you can drive a bus through them. Of course, to admit this means that someone has to stand up and say that the military is one of the biggest problems in teh country, (not likely to happen) and that so called academics aren't quite as smart as they appear.

• Like 1

Get used to it..... The only way to get rid of her so that there is no need for the constitution and its interpretations is to impeach the bitch and all of her lackies, and there are plenty of impeachment opportunities available.

If the C Court does not impeach her, then this would be a victory for the terrorists and their intimidation tactics.

To appoint a neutral PM would also involve a neutral cabinet , that would entail the introduction of the shredder machine to hide all the evidence that PTP don't want to become public knowledge , the avoidance factor seems to be lost on the powers that be , to elect either the PTP or other major parties at this present time will not stop the protests as both yellow and red shirts are as bad as each other , to nullify this, the avoidance factor should be a neutral administration to carry out reforms and place the country back on an level playing field and try to extinguish some of the hate that is so widey prevalent in the Thai communitycoffee1.gif

OK. What about the dems are they so lilly white clean??????? Think about it.

Com paired to this lot, I would say that they were angelic, and they have never totally trashed the country like this bunch of idiots, and they never allowed the country to be run by a convicted criminal from the middle east, and they never considered secession, and their PM was a highly educated and very capable PM in contrast to the empty headed Barbie doll. They also do not operate a terrorist organization to watch their backs for them.

All in all...... yes...... a white as the driven snow in comparison to what you support.

Its both a mystery to me and a shame that these 'red goons' don't appreciate this.

I struggle to see the rationality in supporting corrupt thieves bent on power and with the thirst for money being their sole quest in life.

I don't know how Yingluck can live with herself - oh!! how she loves it when old ladies with worn craggy faces flaunt themselves on her and look adoringly into her eyes when she visits these 'red villages' - if only they knew the truth about how much she really cares for them.

When the farmers were struggling to survive and they had the audacity to travel to Bangkok to protest and demand their money, all of a sudden they became 'fake farmers' because they weren't happy with her!!!

I don't even know why I'm worried about it really as it doesn't affect me in the slightest. The stupidity of it all is beyond my comprehension, but there you go, let them continue to struggle if that's the way they want it to be!!! Not my problem - mai bpen rai.

To appoint a neutral PM would also involve a neutral cabinet , that would entail the introduction of the shredder machine to hide all the evidence that PTP don't want to become public knowledge , the avoidance factor seems to be lost on the powers that be , to elect either the PTP or other major parties at this present time will not stop the protests as both yellow and red shirts are as bad as each other , to nullify this, the avoidance factor should be a neutral administration to carry out reforms and place the country back on an level playing field and try to extinguish some of the hate that is so widey prevalent in the Thai communitycoffee1.gif

Com paired to this lot, I would say that they were angelic, and they have never totally trashed the country like this bunch of idiots, and they never allowed the country to be run by a convicted criminal from the middle east, and they never considered secession, and their PM was a highly educated and very capable PM in contrast to the empty headed Barbie doll. They also do not operate a terrorist organization to watch their backs for them.

All in all...... yes...... a white as the driven snow in comparison to what you support.

Its both a mystery to me and a shame that these 'red goons' don't appreciate this.

I struggle to see the rationality in supporting corrupt thieves bent on power and with the thirst for money being their sole quest in life.

I don't know how Yingluck can live with herself - oh!! how she loves it when old ladies with worn craggy faces flaunt themselves on her and look adoringly into her eyes when she visits these 'red villages' - if only they knew the truth about how much she really cares for them.

When the farmers were struggling to survive and they had the audacity to travel to Bangkok to protest and demand their money, all of a sudden they became 'fake farmers' because they weren't happy with her!!!

I don't even know why I'm worried about it really as it doesn't affect me in the slightest. The stupidity of it all is beyond my comprehension, but there you go, let them continue to struggle if that's the way they want it to be!!! Not my problem - mai bpen rai.

It is a strange thai thing that can be answered by the fact that a huge majority approve of corruption as longas they benefit too.

Wrongdoing is judged on consequence in Thailand not on moral right or wrong. If you don't get caught, you did nothing wrong.

• Like 1

That's a bit racist mate ... I think you better retract that post

That's the best that the Thais can do for national leadership. Shameful.

I read it another way. There is no one mug enough to allow his or her name to be put forward for the poisoned challice.

That's a bit racist mate ... I think you better retract that post

I don't agree with his comment - but it is not racist!!

Banana republic of SE Asia.

Of course it's banana republic of SE Asia and further. Do you know any other country in SE Asia or in the world which is run by a criminal and fugitive from justice via social media? Blatant nepotism?

• Like 1