Protest leader Suthep expects key reform issues taking a year and a half

webfact

Protest leader expects key reform issues taking a year and a half
By Digital Content

1394440070243.jpg

BANGKOK, March 10 - Thailand's anti-government protest leader said Monday that six pressing issues for national reform will take no longer than a year and a half before the mission can be handed over to an elected government, targeting social disparity as the top priority.

The People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban and key leaders kickstarted the first day of the PDRC' s brainstorming session at the Lumpini Park Youth Centre in Bangkok focusing on poverty eradication, social disparity and strengthening society.

Mr Suthep said the forum was aimed at allowing public participation from all quarters to exchange their views on the key six pressing issues. At the centre of the discussions are the poverty and disparity, corruption, power decentralisation, police structural reform, electoral and political party system reforms as well as bureaucracy reform.

The former deputy premier-turned-protest leader said the forum will set guidelines for a people's government to urgently tackle within a year and a half.

It will set a precedent for the succeeding government to carry on. Following the process, power will be returned to the people to form an elected government.

The two-week PDRC reform forum will be held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday through March 21.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesperson Chavanond Indarakomalyasut said the party will propose its seven-point national reform plan on March 28.

The plan includes reforms to tackle corruption, fair elections, bureaucracy, decentralisation of power, economic and social structural reforms to reduce disparity, police structure, education and the media reform.

The party spokesperson also challenged caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to present her vision on national reform or join a debate on the issue with the PDRC secretary general or Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) leader Thida Thavornseth said red shirt supporters will reject the PDRC-initiated reforms as a process going against democracy.

She also warned that the red shirts will hold a major rally in the capital if the PDRC, independent agencies and the armed forces are in collaboration to topple the elected government. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-10

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"focusing on poverty eradication, social disparity and strengthening society."

Yes this is the perfect person for this job..WTH... does he even remember what he has been spewing for the last 4 months...?

Is he that far out of touch with his own reality...? He wants a year and a half... and he thinks he can achieve any of this LMAO...and with the public's input.. Arooooor Haaar!

"It will set a precedent for the succeeding government to carry on. Following the process, power will be returned to the people to form an elected government.
The two-week PDRC reform forum will be held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday through March 21 "

LOLOL...yep 6 sessions oughtta do it... "Thanks Public...your input has been great!"

"Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesperson Chavanond Indarakomalyasut said the party will propose its seven-point national reform plan on March 28"

Ahh the plot thickens..... is he even a little bit believable...?

After the Thaksin amnesty bill was passed, there was instant outrage throughout the country. And yet, it is questionable whether any of that outrage would have translated into the present situation that Yingluck and Pheu Thai are in without Suthep's intervention and innate abilities to bring people together and organize the protest movement. For just one man, he has had a measurably significant impact on the country. Without his taking the helm, Yingluck and her Thaksin-inspired administration would likely still be in power. It is even arguable that Thaksin himself might be here as well. Those who are suspicious of Suthep generally fall into two camps. The first are habitually very strong Pheu Thai supporters, and are naturally predisposed towards hating him. They generally hate Abhisit as well, and will spend much of their leisure time trying to blend the two together and composing acronyms of their names. The second group is more interesting, though, because they comprise of people who hate what Thaksin has done to the country, but they are unsure of Suthep himself. Having said that, they are likely grateful to him for galvanizing a movement that may not have materialized without him. In short, they like the results, but are unsure of where it goes from here. Suthep likely sees his role beyond that of protest organizer. He likely sees his role as reformer. The forums and discussions that are taking place at the PDRC may be easy fodder for those who scoff at them ( though one gets the impression that scoffing comes naturally to them anyway, regardless as to the context ) and yet without these very discussions the PDRC loses its identity as a source of ideas for the future. Whether of not Suthep finds a place in the unfolding of this, one thing for certain - the ideas will remain, and the public's thirst for ideas and thirst for public participation in them will remain long after. The subjects that are being aired are of consequence to everyone. They speak more of a relief that public input in the political process can indeed take place. They operate under duress. Pheu Thai isn't keen on any discussions taking place. They don't like corruption being brought up, want the rice scheme investigation to be dropped, and they have a vested interest in the status quo. One view represents the past, the other the future. One wants things to remain as they were, while the other wants to go forward. Indeed, the country wants to go forward.The constitutional process is working. The courts have taken centre stage, as they should, and as long as their work is unimpeded, the constitution will have the final say.

Thank you Scamper. Wish I had said that myself. Well seen and well said. My views precisely. This will be like a red flag to, well, - - - a bunch of reds. I guess.

Since when is he setting the timing agenda for any of this?

They have taken this long to finally settle on exactly what it is they would like to reform? And who the hell asked the Democrats? Couldn't they have come up with their ideas and pushed them out there for the election?

They make me sick, standing at the back like a teachers pet, saying "Me, me, me, please listen to me, I can do it too!"

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Jamie, Jamie Jamie Jamie... tut tut tut tut... false rumours? you mean along the same ones you posted about 100,000 Red shirts armed with a Million weapons decending on Bangkok???

I'm pretty sure the consensus wants reforms, but how about actually letting the people decide if Sutheps as popular as he wishes to be?

He still doesn't speak for the majority of the country and until they're allowed to vote then his popularity is never going to be proven at all.

Jamie, Jamie Jamie Jamie... tut tut tut tut... false rumours? you mean along the same ones you posted about 100,000 Red shirts armed with a Million weapons decending on Bangkok???

I'm pretty sure the consensus wants reforms, but how about actually letting the people decide if Sutheps as popular as he wishes to be?

He still doesn't speak for the majority of the country and until they're allowed to vote then his popularity is never going to be proven at all.

Nah, I was wrong. Apparently it is 200 000 by the end of the month now. It was 10 million weapons. And the marching to Bangkok was stated by the UDD in their "Beat the war drum" meeting which went on to say they would shut down all independent organizations. All facts. All said by UDD leaders. No innuendo or false rumors.

Red-shirt leaders in Nakhon Ratchasima said people across the province continue to apply for membership of the Democracy Protection Volunteers Group (DPVG). Registrattion is currently open and people are joining.

It aint a secret Long Haggis. It aint rumors. Watch the redshirt TV channels, read the redshirt websites. Read anything about the UDD. It is happening yet you STILL deny it.

My "rumors" have facts to back them up. Shannon's are a rhetoric driven by a hatred for some one that does not "believe" in what he believe in.

Edited by djjamie

There won't be a referendum mate, they don't believe in letting the people have a say, that's why they put the boot into the current election.

The only reform Suthep and the current incarnation of PAD are concerned with is one which ensures that they come to power and remain in power.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The thing is mate, do you believe these reports to be true, or do you not read them and think "What a load of <deleted>" ?? And take them as nothing more than wishful thinking and propaganda?

I do, but at the same time, I keep an open mind and wait and see what's what.. all warfare is based on deception..

During the build up to the Iraq Invasion the worlds media had the WMD already deployed on the battlefield, even key " informants" had stated they had seen them, and they were ready to be used, they Invaded on the premise of there being WMD, non were found, well none that would have had a significant impact on the Region.

Saddam was spoonfed sh'ite (there's a pun in there) by his Generals and scientists in the belief he still had these weapons, so that they could still get the funding from him, and they were also terrified of the thought of telling him... errrrr we blew all the money you gave u to develop VX on hookers and scratch cards

All the eyes were focused on Iraq's WMD issue, and then out of the Blue Ghadaffi announced he was destroying his stockpiles, of whic these were full on, there, in the storage areas, in the ammo, there in the flesh, not imagined,, much to the astonishment of the West, who never knew he had them!!

Don't believe everything you read, and only believe half of what you're being told.. ;) and always keep an open mind.

• Like 1

Hard to take a leader of some of the biggest bullying thugs thailand has seen, and an accused murderer of 90+ people seriosuly when he talks about goverment reform. Hardly has the high road credentials.

Reform is necessary, starting with the judiciary, the EC, and probably the whole democrat party needs reform, probably the worst failure of a political party in modern history.

• Like 1

If he had ANY concrete and serious suggestions, and was taking responsibility for his former (and current) misdeeds, I would support him, but there is nothing but abstract nonsense coming from him. In other words, he is bluffing. He pretends to be a saint, brushing aside his former misdeeds, and thus is reduced to propagating hollow lies and empty promises. He has not told us how "he" is going to reduce the influence of the army, improve education, reduce ALL corruption, nepotism and patronage, how to deal with the situation in the south, how to tackle drugs and prostitution, how to improve Thailand's image and standing abroad etc etc. The protests are useless and futile for Thailand, because nothing would get better. There would only be a new set of hands plundering the country through corruption and mismanagement. Same same but different, as the cliché goes.

• Like 1

The thing is mate, do you believe these reports to be true, or do you not read them and think "What a load of <deleted>" ?? And take them as nothing more than wishful thinking and propaganda?

I do, but at the same time, I keep an open mind and wait and see what's what.. all warfare is based on deception..

During the build up to the Iraq Invasion the worlds media had the WMD already deployed on the battlefield, even key " informants" had stated they had seen them, and they were ready to be used, they Invaded on the premise of there being WMD, non were found, well none that would have had a significant impact on the Region.

Saddam was spoonfed sh'ite (there's a pun in there) by his Generals and scientists in the belief he still had these weapons, so that they could still get the funding from him, and they were also terrified of the thought of telling him... errrrr we blew all the money you gave u to develop VX on hookers and scratch cards

All the eyes were focused on Iraq's WMD issue, and then out of the Blue Ghadaffi announced he was destroying his stockpiles, of whic these were full on, there, in the storage areas, in the ammo, there in the flesh, not imagined,, much to the astonishment of the West, who never knew he had them!!

Don't believe everything you read, and only believe half of what you're being told.. wink.png and always keep an open mind.

Mate……How can I make it clearer. This is said, written, on youtube, on TV and recorded by red shirt leaders. There are stations in the north (I know, I live there) recruiting members for this. So your suggesting the UDD are lying now? Not that they don't normally lie.

Your suggesting the points that were published by the UDD on there website are spreading false information now all as a facade. If it is then all it is doing is furthering the belief they are a terrorist organization.

If Sadam had said "I have WMD" then I would believe him. I don't believe the opposition (America) when they said it. I will not say more as it is changing the subject.

If Suthep said "They are recruiting 200 000 by the end of the month, they have 10 million weapons and they will march on Bangkok" I would take it with a grain of salt.

When Red shirt leaders say "We are recruiting 200 000 by the end of the month, we have 10 million weapons and we will march on Bangkok" then I tend to believe it especially when I see recruiting stations and the official UDD point list that highlights this.

I know that the UDD are terrorists and lies are their main drive to further a minority cause, but when it comes to violence and when I see it. I take em seriously.

On that note I will leave this OP too as I see your trend is always getting the last word in.

I got the pun.

Edited by djjamie

Hard to take a leader of some of the biggest bullying thugs thailand has seen, and an accused murderer of 90+ people seriosuly when he talks about goverment reform. Hardly has the high road credentials.

Reform is necessary, starting with the judiciary, the EC, and probably the whole democrat party needs reform, probably the worst failure of a political party in modern history.

Yet you can support another accused mass murderer, accused terrorist and CONVICTED criminal fugitive.

Why? Your belief structure. Not facts. A belief.

Going by your rhetoric The following also need reform. World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the Environmentalists, the corn farmer, rubber farmers, rice farmers, medical association, rural teachers, academics, Supa, global economists, IMF, private banks, GSB, the EC, AoT, the courts, military, bangkok middle class, business owner, state enterprise staff, Buddhist monks, civil servants, labor unions, Green Politics group, Thai Constitution Protection Association, The Thai press, NIDA poll, Bangkok Poll and Khaosod. They too have disagreed or questioned the PTP beliefs or simply offered advice to which they were demonized.

Apparently the majority need reforming too? They don't support this illegitimate govt that have an unelected leader. (yes yes yingluck is the PM)

You will be taken seriously by me when you state to work off facts and not beliefs as your friend Shannon does.

Edited by djjamie

I hope that it never happens Jamie, as in the increase in violence to a level that turns it into a civil war, whilst I'm not dissagreeing with many of your points, I also seem to have read here on TVF that Suthpes speaches have also been full of hate and advocated the kidnapping of Government officials too, these hate speaches are designed to stir up the emotions of the followers, there's a huge difference in recruitting 200,000 lunatics (paid) that will kore than likely do a runner as soon as it all goes noisy.

What's happening in my view is that both sides are testing out the letter of the law, the PDRC demonstrations were deemed to be legal and lawful, so the Reds will do the same, the PDRC have openly recruitted 1,500 (that we know are Armed as to how many, that's unknown) so the UDD will do the same, will it result in a confrontation, not sure, it's all too easy to make a threat and never follow it up..simply because you're giving the other guy time to prepare, much like " Next week I'm gonna get my mates and come round to your house and punch your lights out " whilst it maybe sound intimidating at the time, and you think Hmmmm better be prepared, and you get your mates round for a few nights, lock the house down and sit and wait......and wait.......and wait....and 9/10 they never appear because they're talking big, and actions speak louder than words.

If a guy threatens you like that, don't sit arond and wait for next week, go to his door that night and bang him out right there and then, when he's not prepared for it ;)

• Like 1

At least they are now about being a bit more open that it's a PDRC peoples council that they want to put in place, self honesty is a good step.

It's not that they cannot find neutrals it's that nobody will accept them.

Whilst 18 months may be a bit optimistic but at least it's something people can start to consider the cost of this, what is the cost of 18 months of indecision and inertia for Thailand?

For businesses investing in Thailand what does this mean for them?

For the Asean community will Thailand be missing the big boat and the chance to sit at the captains table?

Reform is a good and much needed thing in my view but consideration needs to be given to maintaining a reasonable amount of business as usual during the reform, this needs to be discussed as part of any reform proposals.

Out of interest does anybody know what the PDRC's plan is for the senate if a peoples council is put in place?

• Like 1

At least they are now about being a bit more open that it's a PDRC peoples council that they want to put in place, self honesty is a good step.

It's not that they cannot find neutrals it's that nobody will accept them.

Whilst 18 months may be a bit optimistic but at least it's something people can start to consider the cost of this, what is the cost of 18 months of indecision and inertia for Thailand?

For businesses investing in Thailand what does this mean for them?

For the Asean community will Thailand be missing the big boat and the chance to sit at the captains table?

Reform is a good and much needed thing in my view but consideration needs to be given to maintaining a reasonable amount of business as usual during the reform, this needs to be discussed as part of any reform proposals.

Out of interest does anybody know what the PDRC's plan is for the senate if a peoples council is put in place?

I don't think anyone said Thailand would have to stand still for 18 months? But even if that is the case, it will probably be cheaper than another 18 months of rice scam and high speed trains :-)

• Like 1

Some serious reforms in the structure of the government, its relationship with the various independent court systems, and independent agencies will require changes in the constitution. That will add another one to two years to Suthep's 18 months. Organized public protests may further impact any reform timetable. Can Thailand basically be stateless over that entire period or in the hands of an unelected administration before the nation's infrasturcture, economy, and Thai baht collapses? A less aggressive reform plan focused on a few fundamental changes may be more healthy for the nation than a grand sweeping change.

A nice balanced article. But the comments on this forum are so childish and such rubbish that one wonders where these people come from, Using words like thugs, coup mongers mass murderers to describe events I wonder even if they live in Thailand or are paid b Taksin to write them.

Suthep with all his past faults is far better than any leader we have had in a long time and I can only hope that one day he will become prime minister.

The hate remarks made by TV members are typical of ill educated morons. I wish Suthep could read then somehow and they would find themselves iup for defamation .