Don Mueang Airport considers monorail to facilitate passengers

webfact

3 billion baht just for an intern terminal monorail? You've got to be kidding?! $30 USD? To go like half a kilometer? What about a moving skyway instead?

Your idea of spending $30 a half kilometer is wayyy off mark. What this is all about is making an exceptional amount of money from tourism. As it stands now, it is downright painful to deal with two airports....this being said from a man well traveled. Some people would like to make travel a bit easier....let us hope they are successful. The alternative is dumb. Taxi and bus with all the unpleasant traffic in between. I shudder every single time I go to Bangkok, as I need to land at that dumb airport in Don Mueang, and they race to get to the other one for my international flight. It is the year 2014, so lets get with the program.

I imagine it will be BTS similiar to what they have at BKK.Sounds like A good idea to me.I'm all for it.

You imagine wrong. A monorail is not "similar to what they have" in Bangkok. The bts is nothing like a monorail.

Sent from my phone ...

No. Transportation is getting people around intelligently, monorail, sky train, whatever. I do not follow your logic.

3 billion baht just for an intern terminal monorail? You've got to be kidding?! $30 USD? To go like half a kilometer? What about a moving skyway instead?

Your idea of spending $30 a half kilometer is wayyy off mark. What this is all about is making an exceptional amount of money from tourism. As it stands now, it is downright painful to deal with two airports....this being said from a man well traveled. Some people would like to make travel a bit easier....let us hope they are successful. The alternative is dumb. Taxi and bus with all the unpleasant traffic in between. I shudder every single time I go to Bangkok, as I need to land at that dumb airport in Don Mueang, and they race to get to the other one for my international flight. It is the year 2014, so lets get with the program.

If I'm not mistaken, the $30 million USD is for the inter terminal monorail at Don Muang as stated in the article. It never said it would be between the two airports, even though most of us would like to see that.

I don't make up these costs, just complain about them.

I had to reread the article...but it does insinuate making travel between the two airports more intelligent. Looking at this particular sentence...

"Mr Jaturongkapol said the monorail will link the airport’s two terminals, depot and with both red and dark green commuter rail system lines."

I would be able to transfer to the Savarnabhumi Airport line...which is a skytrain link...

No reason to duplicate that facility...just link up to it. And put some signs up.

The airport link has already been planned and is under construction. Let's not derail (ha!) this thread with offtopic posts about a different project.

With the utmost respect Khun Isaan, let's not confuse the derailment of the thread even further....

ARL extension planned yes BUT not under construction, not even tendered - as I explained in yesterdays post. You are probably thinking of the SRT Dark Red Line which is under construction (Bang Sue to Rangsit).

• Like 1

Umm, but there is already a plan for underground train from Hualampong station to Don Mueang, that would connect to Suvarnabhumi link at Rajaprarop station.

Completion was scheduled 2019 if I am not mistaken. And some buildings (rather many buildings) were already marked for demolition to make way for the station and exits.

If you come to Rajaprarop you will see many signs along the road, protesting the construction...

Now you really are confused........you are completely mistaken on all counts.

The banners in Pratunam along Ratchaprarop rd are protesting the Orange Line (Siraj to Minburi) along a east to west axis. The protests are specifically the footprint of the Pratunam station meaning that peoples property will be compulsory purchased and they will lose out on property increases once the line is built. I could post you a plan of the station if you so desire.

Nothing to do with the ARL extension to DMK which will not connect with Hualamphong. The Dark Red LIne which is currently being built between Bang Sue and Rangsit will in years to come be extended via Hualamphong & WWY to Mahachai but that is a good 10-15 years away.

All the info you need for clarity is contained in this thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-12

Is there enough passenger traffic to warrant this? What are plans for linking the two airports - Don Muang and Suwannaphum?

It will not be a monorail but an MRT which is being built now. It will pass through Don Miuang and will connect it to Makkasan Terminal which has an Airport checkin and direct train ride to Suvarnnabhumi airport.