UK expats soon to be denied free healthcare in the UK

longballlarry

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that bothers me is the Living Will. I have one drafted here in both languages, completely cross translated for clarity, but there's still no guarantee that the instructions will be followed. Even if your proxy is an MD, they probably will just let you lay there racking up hundreds of thousands of baht a day, until they decide to discharge you in a state of complete incapacity and a couple of million baht lighter.

In the UK a Living Will will be adhered to 100%.

I've had personal experience with family members, and in the states you really have to have everything properly lined up if your instructions are flat-out DNR, your direct family and/or the person with health POA needs to be present waving the recently-dated legal papers vehemently telling EMS to cease and desist.

Any doubts or questions at all, any dissent from anyone at the scene and they will default to doing their job.

The fact that the US is so litigious and the medical system more private/profit oriented may be a factor in making it different, but just having papers on file with the ambulance service and hospital ER is definitely not enough.

Life in paradise is fine until the money runs out. If the UK is so bad why do half the world want to live there?

There is no need to cut your ties and say you'll never go back.

That's easy. It's because we British are the most charming and civilised people in the world. thumbsup.gif

But I thought everyone knew that?

• Like 1

Just like other countries you leave your home country for more than 6 months you get nothing England is just moving with the times at last.

Time for you all here to get your heath Insurance before you fall though the cracks

I paid into mine for almost 40 years - it was called the NHS.

Nobody told me as I made each of those 475 payments that I would ineligible for treatment if I chose to live in Thailand.

yes and you had 40 year of health care policing Education. Nothing is paid for for ever.

• Like 2

Just like other countries you leave your home country for more than 6 months you get nothing England is just moving with the times at last.

Time for you all here to get your heath Insurance before you fall though the cracks

Nobody told me as I made each of those 475 payments that I would ineligible for treatment if I chose to live in Thailand.

yes and you had 40 year of health care policing Education. Nothing is paid for for ever.

Yes it is.

My NI payments entitle me to a lifetime of NHS benefits.

........ unless some b@stard changes the rules.

This article appears online in today's Daily Mail referring to John Hutton as minister for health, but he held that post under Gordon Brown's Labour government. The current minister for health is Jeremy Hunt ,a post he has held since 2012.
If these proposals were indeed put forward by John Hutton they are already in force and have been in place for quite some time now.

Edited by brian1314

Yes it is.

I thought it was free, why all this talk of payments?

• Like 1

always amazes me when expats thnk they can just fly in and get treatment .you have to visit a GP first and then get a letter sent to you .

a brtt pal o mine who lives in auss came to the UK got an ear infection and walked into a hospital to get treatment and they wouldn't as he didn't have GP and a home address

always amazes me when expats thnk they can just fly in and get treatment .you have to visit a GP first and then get a letter sent to you .

a brtt pal o mine who lives in auss came to the UK got an ear infection and walked into a hospital to get treatment and they wouldn't as he didn't have GP and a home address

Then he screwed up.

A & E will NEVER turn away a genuine A & E case.

Do you think an ear infection is an A & E case ?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Then he screwed up.

perhaps his name is "Dumbo"whistling.gif

• Like 1

Not funny

First they tried moving our retirement age BACK 2 years!

Then they say a life-time of paying-in is valueless!

I totally agree that (outside) people or new residents relatiives
have have been taking the cream for may years

(Including the social security system)

But when most people over 50 cannot get a job, at the best of times,
or they have worked hard all their lives, saved up

and bought a little place in the sun -
why should they be targeted bullied and penalised.

These people have earned their place by Not taking from the system -

now the system is taking from Them!

It's rather funny that I get treatment in UK. And I'm from Sweden. But UK people don't get it if staying abroad.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree 100%

Not funny

It's rather funny that I get treatment in UK. And I'm from Sweden. But UK people don't get it if staying abroad.

But gee. Isn't universal medical care a human right? Isn't that the basis for national healthcare in the first place? ...The notion that it's something EVERYONE, regardless of wealth or social standing, is entitled to? Food, housing, medical care... Aren't these human rights? C'mon, social activists! Speak up!

Yes it is.

I thought it was free, why all this talk of payments?

Free AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY.... Understand?

Like when I order something online, and they charge my credit card when it ships, so by the time it gets to the house it's free? You mean like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But gee. Isn't universal medical care a human right? Isn't that the basis for national healthcare in the first place? ...The notion that it's something EVERYONE, regardless of wealth or social standing, is entitled to? Food, housing, medical care... Aren't these human rights? C'mon, social activists! Speak up!

Oh dear.

Have you been to Thailand ?

Not funny

But UK people get free healthcare in Sweden.

And anyone staying in Thailand would get free healthcare in Sweden even if he/she didn't got it in the UK

Then he screwed up.

Absolutely!

However, some ear infections can be so painful they require immediate medication such as morphine. The type of bacteria causing such pain needs to be identified ASAP, so the correct antibiotic can be administered and if such as case presented itself at AE the person would be seen, Also coming from a tropical country that has strange diseases, might also raise a red flag, don't want some Aussie digging a rare item out of his ear and spreading it around.

The NHS is no different from any other organisation, where sometimes you need 'to play the game'.

Then he screwed up.

Absolutely!

However, some ear infections can be so painful they require immediate medication such as morphine. The type of bacteria causing such pain needs to be identified ASAP, so the correct antibiotic can be administered and if such as case presented itself at AE the person would be seen, Also coming from a tropical country that has strange diseases, might also raise a red flag, don't want some Aussie digging a rare item out of his ear and spreading it around.

The NHS is no different from any other organisation, where sometimes you need 'to play the game'.

Good point.

I guess I am just lucky that whenever I have had an ear infection the pain has not been so great as to prevent me getting to my GP.

They don't clock people in and out of the UK, keep an address and register with a Doc and no problems if you need health care. They don't even ask for a medical card and thousands of immigrants of one type or another, including asylum seekers awaiting a decision get free care, and they never paid anything onto the system

Then he screwed up.

Absolutely!

Good point.

I guess I am just lucky that whenever I have had an ear infection the pain has not been so great as to prevent me getting to my GP.

I understand, but if you had something like I had once you wouldn't bother with making a GP appointment.

I suppose the other point is that there's no written law requiring anyone to be registered with a GP....is there?

They don't clock people in and out of the UK, keep an address and register with a Doc and no problems if you need health care. They don't even ask for a medical card and thousands of immigrants of one type or another, including asylum seekers awaiting a decision get free care, and they never paid anything onto the system

Right, you can turn up at AE homeless and pot-less and if something needs treating they will do it.

It's still not USA (yet) and you don't need to show anything except your injury (if visible).

Has anyone been watching the excellent 60 minutes to live on UKTV?

It shows what emergency service you can get for free and I can assure you NONE of these accident victims were asked any questions other than 'is this painful' etc........absolutely brilliant service!

Edited by uptheos

Right, you can turn up at AE homeless and pot-less and if something needs treating they will do it.

It's still not USA (yet) and you don't need to show anything except your injury (if visible).

It shows what emergency service you can get for free and I can assure you NONE of these accident victims were asked any questions other than 'is this painful' etc........absolutely brilliant service!

With all due respect, regardless of what you may have seen on television,if you show up at an emergency room in the US, you get treated, whether or not you have insurance, whether or not you are a citizen, and whether or not you can pay.

Weigh

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With all due respect, regardless of what you may have seen on television,if you show up at an emergency room in the US, you get treated, whether or not you have insurance, whether or not you are a citizen, and whether or not you can pay.

Weigh

Good to know, so you won't ever receive a bill either?

Life in paradise is fine until the money runs out. If the UK is so bad why do half the world want to live there?

There is no need to cut your ties and say you'll never go back.

After working in London for 10 years, the only reason I can think of why so many foreigners want to live there is because the places they come from are real s***holes.

I only stayed there to be able to live in Thailand after I retired, as my country didn't pay my occupation decently, and I couldn't save there.

But you'll certainly be getting a most likely lifetime-crippling debt too, what percentage of bankruptcies?

Yes in the process of improving now but not a done deal long-term

1. You give them a phone name and address.

2. If they do get your real name and address, if you have no money, they sign you up for medicaid, which is free. So it costs you nothing.

3. If they do get your real name and address, and you don't qualify for medicaid, when the bill comes, don't pay it. They will keep sending it for about a year, and then they will write it off on their taxes and you no longer owe the money.

Again, you guys watch too much television. I've had great healthcare my whole life, much of the time without insurance. I actually pay more with insurance than I did without.

Medical debts contribute to almost half of all bankruptcies in the United States. link

Using a conservative definition, 62.1% of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92% of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5000, or 10% of pretax family income. The rest met criteria for medical bankruptcy because they had lost significant income due to illness or mortgaged a home to pay medical bills. Most medical debtors were well educated, owned homes, and had middle-class occupations. Three quarters had health insurance. Using identical definitions in 2001 and 2007, the share of bankruptcies attributable to medical problems rose by 49.6%. In logistic regression analysis controlling for demographic factors, the odds that a bankruptcy had a medical cause was 2.38-fold higher in 2007 than in 2001. link

Medical problems caused 62% of all personal bankruptcies filed in the U.S. in 2007, according to a study by Harvard researchers. And in a finding that surprised even the researchers, 78% of those filers had medical insurance at the start of their illness, including 60.3% who had private coverage, not Medicare or Medicaid. link