UK expats soon to be denied free healthcare in the UK

longballlarry

Medical debts contribute to almost half of all bankruptcies in the United States. link

Using a conservative definition, 62.1% of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92% of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5000, or 10% of pretax family income. The rest met criteria for medical bankruptcy because they had lost significant income due to illness or mortgaged a home to pay medical bills. Most medical debtors were well educated, owned homes, and had middle-class occupations. Three quarters had health insurance. Using identical definitions in 2001 and 2007, the share of bankruptcies attributable to medical problems rose by 49.6%. In logistic regression analysis controlling for demographic factors, the odds that a bankruptcy had a medical cause was 2.38-fold higher in 2007 than in 2001. link

Medical problems caused 62% of all personal bankruptcies filed in the U.S. in 2007, according to a study by Harvard researchers. And in a finding that surprised even the researchers, 78% of those filers had medical insurance at the start of their illness, including 60.3% who had private coverage, not Medicare or Medicaid. link

Right, people that actually have money and or real property, and are foolish enough to not have insurance, and are foolish enough to use their real names, file bankruptcy to avoid having to pay for their medical treatment.

What you’re point? They still got care, and they still own their home, their car and any retirment savings.

You guys crack me up.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like other countries you leave your home country for more than 6 months you get nothing England is just moving with the times at last.

Time for you all here to get your heath Insurance before you fall though the cracks

You legally can't be denied emergency treatment in the UK

Doesn't Thailand also offer emergency treatment?

Just like other countries you leave your home country for more than 6 months you get nothing England is just moving with the times at last.

Time for you all here to get your heath Insurance before you fall though the cracks

You get 9 points for the ugliest comment i have seen today.

• Like 1

MODS

This thread was opened to discuss UK citizens right to access health care in the UK.

It seems to have been hijacked by moaning Americans --------------------please can these irrelevant to the topic posts be removed ?

• Like 1

MODS

This thread was opened to discuss UK citizens right to access health care in the UK.

It seems to have been hijacked by moaning Americans --------------------please can these irrelevant to the topic posts be removed ?

Though I'm not American I think your suggestion is a wonderful idea.

• Like 1

MODS

I agree. Let them start their own moaning thread

MODS

I agree. Let them start their own moaning thread

Probably just easier to hijack others.......smile.png

Yes it is.

My NI payments entitle me to a lifetime of NHS benefits.

........ unless some b@stard changes the rules.

I thought it was free, why all this talk of payments?

Free AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY.... Understand?

Like when I order something online, and they charge my credit card when it ships, so by the time it gets to the house it's free? You mean like that?

No like you pay taxes and when you need some medical care you go to the doctor or the hospital and you don't have to pay the doctor or the hospital. FREE AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY. Understand? Is is that difficult?

Yes it is.

My NI payments entitle me to a lifetime of NHS benefits.

........ unless some b@stard changes the rules.

I thought it was free, why all this talk of payments?

Free AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY.... Understand?

Like when I order something online, and they charge my credit card when it ships, so by the time it gets to the house it's free? You mean like that?

No like you pay taxes and when you need some medical care you go to the doctor or the hospital and you don't have to pay the doctor or the hospital. FREE AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY. Understand? Is is that difficult?

For him, clearly it us a concept too difficult to grasp.