Carnage on Koh Samui's Roads

Just witnessed 2 terrible road accidents in the space of 20mins.

The first was on the ghost road near to Bangrak involving a farang in a pickup truck and a local on a bike. It didn't look good for the poor guy on the bike.

The second was even more disturbing. Another Head On involving a Mini Van packed with tourists and a poor Thai lady with a baby. The baby was moving and crying but the mother was not moving. I sincerely hope that they all survive.

Edited by TheOggMonster

Accident @ right bend just after Big Buddha heading towards Choeng Mon @ 1530hrs this afternoon. If the 'wyle-e-coyote' inprint in the drivers door of a choeng mon bound pickup is anything to go by I would guess it was hit by a horizontal torso during the accident.

(Pickup & 1 or 2 bikes were involved. An Asian woman was being treated for cuts/shock as I drove past & one of two ambulances sped back through the scene in the direction of Chaweng)

Edited by evadgib

I have seen a dead baby lying on the road in samui , the mother had carried it while driving a bike , no helmet so the baby's head is like an orange .. Extremely distressing to view .. There is nothing I haven't seen on the roads on samui , legs missing , squashed skulls , young / old , Thai / foreigners .. Most motor bikes , but a few car crashes while the driver has been drunk .. Untill samui upgrades it's road safety , nothing will ever Chand

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Why not, can't handle real life, the truth? Motorbike crashes aren't funny and don't look nice.

In the olden days, police sometimes, when caught when driving around without a helmet, police on Samui didn't fine you, but you had to loom at their picture book of motorbike accidents. A very sobering collection of pictures.

If more people would be forced to do this or just did it out volunteerily, a lot of people would view driving a motorbike differently and probably change their attitude/style whilst on a bike.

I remember those days too, or just go in any temple and look at the pix there, another source is the Samui rescue foundation, every time wife donates a coffiin I flick through teh albums there....its all fact of life here.

• Like 2

The photos mentioned above came as a bit of a shock but they can have a sobering affect on anyone that sees them. It's early days yet but my children thankfully have no interest whatsoever in bikes...

Dont-bury-your-head-in-the-sand-like-an-

Edited by evadgib

I love living in ''Thailand'' and have done for the last 4 years, but Driving ''ANYWHERE'' is so so dangerous, it really scares me , you never know whats around the corner..

Most people are shocked about the carnage on the roads of ''Thailand'', but the ''Thais'' just take it in there stride with remarks like ''It was there Time'', or ''Thats Life''... , so so sad..

The Government needs to have a major crackdown everywhere, i just hope it happens one day soon..

Sad and Pointless Deaths and Injuries..

Why not, can't handle real life, the truth? Motorbike crashes aren't funny and don't look nice.

In the olden days, police sometimes, when caught when driving around without a helmet, police on Samui didn't fine you, but you had to loom at their picture book of motorbike accidents. A very sobering collection of pictures.

If more people would be forced to do this or just did it out volunteerily, a lot of people would view driving a motorbike differently and probably change their attitude/style whilst on a bike.

Some people who may have never visited these parts of Thailand before may come to this forum and sub forum for information. Stories su had this paint a false picture about the island in general. What your implying is it's ok to turn this forum into bestgore.com. If that's the case then maybe mods can create a sub section for all accident related info so all you ex pats and your not so sunny disposition can post to your hearts content there.

Stop being so soft well read, if these mongs that encounter on a day to day basis here on these roads can get a highly graphic idea of possible out come for their stupidity maybe a few of them will think twice about pushing their motorbike to the limits overtaking around a blind corner or other dangerous behavior.

This wrapping life up in cotton wool approach Is half the problem.

Shocking photos and a good description of the trauma the human body encounters on impact required.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are places you can see these graphic images of these accidents, ... Locally at the Big Buddha Temple, is one place that comes to mind, they have them and collect for coffins that families cannot afford.

In some parts of Thailand you also see posters on the side of the road for all to see... very graphic... it's really sad it does not sink in, but "it will never happen to me", syndrome sets in....sad.png

Stop being so soft well read, if these mongs that encounter on a day to day basis here on these roads can get a highly graphic idea of possible out come for their stupidity maybe a few of them will think twice about pushing their motorbike to the limits overtaking around a blind corner or other dangerous behavior.

This wrapping life up in cotton wool approach Is half the problem.

Shocking photos and a good description of the trauma the human body encounters on impact required.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are places you can see these graphic images of these accidents, ... Locally at the Big Buddha Temple, is one place that comes to mind, they have them and collect for coffins that families cannot afford.

In some parts of Thailand you also see posters on the side of the road for all to see... very graphic... it's really sad it does not sink in, but "it will never happen to me", syndrome sets in...

i agree / I think the problems on Samui's roads are horrific and I think highlighting is very important but one can go too far there is no need to be over descriptive

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nor does taking a crap. But I don't think you need a daily graphic description of my bowel movements to get the picture.

I disagree, in regards to the pictures of the motorbike accidents. A picture tells more than a 1000 words and some of the injuries are something you can't think up and are ahrd to imagine unless you have seen the actual outcome.

Yeah, nah. This forum just has a lot of ghouls. Some of them seem really excited about every single road fatality. I find it a bit sick.

7 things why things go wrong - horribly! Combine any two of the latter line up and changes grow drastically. Three and things get very worrying. Four to seven - pure luck if you made it home...

Too much speed

Distance to drive

Drunkenness

Location of the island

Time of the day

Day of the week

Awareness of what is going on

• Like 1

7 things why things go wrong - horribly! Combine any two of the latter line up and changes grow drastically. Three and things get very worrying. Four to seven - pure luck if you made it home...

Too much speed

Distance to drive

Drunkenness

Location of the island

Time of the day

Day of the week

Awareness of what is going on

To add...

Driving with due care and attention....

Don't use a mobile phone while driving ...it's amazing how many people one sees, doing that.. and not just Thai's ....w00t.gif

Use rare view mirrors...

Some people who may have never visited these parts of Thailand before may come to this forum and sub forum for information. Stories su had this paint a false picture about the island in general. What your implying is it's ok to turn this forum into bestgore.com. If that's the case then maybe mods can create a sub section for all accident related info so all you ex pats and your not so sunny disposition can post to your hearts content there.

What is the false impression, Samui is a nightmare to drive on especially on a scooter/motorbike, it is better to make people aware so they can make an informed judgement about driving rather than becoming the subject of a post on the forum.

• Like 2

No one is saying don't warn people about being safe here but I don't think going into details of the various types of road injuries one has seen holds any value. Comparing a babies head to an orange really?

• Like 1

Visual is the best deterrent in my opinion, no need to bury your head in the sand. Governments use it frequently, just look at the warnings on cigarette packets. Ghoulish? Perhaps, but it's there to convey a message & try to save some lives.

You might have a good point if we were talking about a national road safety campaign, but we're not. We're talking about a forum read mostly by locals who are all too aware of the road carnage.

The fact is that some people get their jollies by writing about this stuff. You can tell who they are, they are the guys that breathlessly post "Accident near xxx road falangs killed!" without even waiting for a news report to link to.

• Like 1

Visual is the best deterrent in my opinion, no need to bury your head in the sand. Governments use it frequently, just look at the warnings on cigarette packets. Ghoulish? Perhaps, but it's there to convey a message & try to save some lives.

You might have a good point if we were talking about a national road safety campaign, but we're not. We're talking about a forum read mostly by locals who are all too aware of the road carnage.

The fact is that some people get their jollies by writing about this stuff. You can tell who they are, they are the guys that breathlessly post "Accident near xxx road falangs killed!" without even waiting for a news report to link to.

So lets all live in Fantasy Land and brush all the bad things about the Island under the carpet?

• Like 2

So lets all live in Fantasy Land and brush all the bad things about the Island under the carpet?

You don't need to brush the news under the carpet. You also don't need to go into details as to which body parts were severed and what the dead body's head looked like. That's the very definition of ghoulishness and it's very common amongst Thais who seem to love posting photos of dead bodies/deformed fetuses/snuff videos etc onto Facebook. Looks like it's starting to rub off onto some of the expats.

Edited by pokerspiv

That's what generally happens here more to do with people painting a glossy picture taking care of their own interests. The phrases "it happens everywhere" or "that could happen anywhere" are whilst true they are overused. Maybe the point is when its a regular occurrence what should be done about it some thing or nothing.