Fewer fires, but dust levels above safety in the north

webfact

POLLUTION
Fewer fires, but dust levels above safety in the north

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Chiang Mai and four northern provinces yesterday reported amounts of fine dust in air as beyond the maximum safety standard of 120 micrograms.

Acting director of the Chiang Mai Natural Resources and Environmental Office, Prayad Ananpradit, said the air quality station at downtown Yupparat Wittayalai School reported the fine dust amount at 125 micrograms per cubic metre, while a City Hall station reported 122 micrograms per cubic metre. They were the year's first readings in the province. The province's average pollution remains at under 100 micrograms.

Chiang Rai reported 134 to 136 micrograms, Phayao 183 micrograms, Nan 150 micrograms and Lampang 184 micrograms.

From February 1 until March 9, Chiang Mai saw 500 hot spots -about half of the last year's same period at 1,000 hot spots - and 345 forest fires damaging a total of 2,822 rai of forestland. The figure was down from some 700 forest fires during the same period last year, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-12

Noticeable by this map. Fires are in neighboring countries.

asia.jpg

I'm curious why the fires are so localized to SE Asia on this map, and large parts of India and China don't show fires. Is it due to a seasonal difference--meaning they burn off the crops at a different time of year?

I'm curious why the fires are so localized to SE Asia on this map, and large parts of India and China don't show fires. Is it due to a seasonal difference--meaning they burn off the crops at a different time of year?

This is a 2011 animated map of fires through the 12 months and China/India get hit hard also but peaks in April. Click on image to see the animation. Large file so give it time.

post-566-0-07706600-1394592773_thumb.gif

This is a 2011 animated map of fires through the 12 months and China/India get hit hard also but peaks in April. Click on image to see the animation. Large file so give it time.

attachicon.gifpost-566-0-07657200-1358414445.gif

Thanks... interesting. I would have thought the fires in the U.S. would show more West Coast during the summer. But the SE/East seems to get most of the action.